Railroad Line Forums - G10 WWII German Boxcar in 1:6 scale (BIG!)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 150 ]  [ Newest Member: lewisoliver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 G10 WWII German Boxcar in 1:6 scale (BIG!)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Mister Majestic,  Indian Sales Service & Repairs Topic Next Topic: A Great Scratchbuilding Project For Beginners
Page: of 21

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  8:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How I became a 1:6 scale modeler. Within the last couple of years Dave Revelia became interested in 1:6 scale figures and dioramas. For those unfamiliar with 1:6 scale figures theyre basically GI Joe figures. A real quick lesson in scale is a 6 figure in this scale is 1 tall, (1 = 2). Daves been showing us work done by modelers from all over the globe. So from time to time we humor him with pictures of things we find in this bizarre scale.

Well darned if I didnt happen across a picture of a WWII American flight crew being taken Prisoner Of War and loaded onto a German G10 Boxcar. A couple of days after showing it to Dave he tells me hes contacted his Italian modeler friend Luca and hes willing to do the figures. Now all I have to do is build the railroad car.

And thats how I became a 1:6 scale modeler. Over the last couple of weeks I drew the car and sub-assemblies in AutoCAD. Today I went to Daves and he cut the first parts on his laser cutter. Im starting with the wheel journals and side frames. We also cut the wood for the sides and floor. This scale is so beastly that a board 1-1/2 thick is an actual 1/4" thick. Ive taken a couple of the pictures with a can of Coke along side so you can get a feel for the size.
Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the photo of the POWs from the display in the US Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH.

The side and floor board kit.

The journal and side frame set.

A comparison for size with a Coke can.

A test stack of a journal set.

An actual wheel assembly from a G10 Car at the Holocaust Museum in St. Petersburg, FL.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/28/2013 8:12:28 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  8:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Now that is large scale! Very cool.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  9:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, I ocasionally do armor modeling, so I am familiar with 1/6 scale. This will be some model.

Mark

W,L,&E

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  10:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You carn't fool me.
That's a miniature can of coke that you made to look real

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  07:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be quite impressive.

Bryan

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  08:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn. That is big.

Looking forward to this.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  08:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!! Looks fantastic. I work in 1/24 scale and I thought That was big. I will be following
along. (I wish I had a friend close by with a laser cutter)
Cheers,
Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  09:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you finish the rum & coke before you took the picture????

You guys are going to need a bigger boat I mean building

Looking forward to this build Frank.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  10:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for your comments. Bob, I'm very, very thankful my friend has a laser cutter, I must say he does some amazing things on there. Now if we can talk him into getting a 3-D printer.

I should have said in the beginning that Dave lent me one of his 1/35 scale Ironside G10 boxcar kits to begin my measurements. The first thing I had to do was make a 1/35 scale ruler. Not a big deal in AutoCAD, while I was at it I also made a 1/6 scale ruler.

Today I'll be cutting the aluminum 1/16 thick square tubing into frame rails. I bought 2 sizes, 1-1/2 sq. for the outer frame rails and the end rails and 1-1/4 sq. for the interior rails. I probably could have gotten away with just the 1-1/2 but in the interest of realism I bought both. Because if you could see the extremes Dave goes to on his modeling Id hate to come up short on my end. I would have rather bought channel but it didnt come in the correct sizes and it was 1/8 thick so in the end it too would have to run through the table saw. I have to cut the frame rails down to 3/8 wide by 4-2-3/4 long.

Ill be running them threw my table saw in 4-6 lengths NOT the 24ers. The local Slim & Jims tool man sold me what he said was the correct blade, well see. When I ordered the tube they said it only comes in 20 lengths. Well it actually came in 24 lengths. After I cut it in two I should have enough channel to do a small fleet of cars.

Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  10:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, I leave the where do you put things to Dave. Wait till you see the pictures of the 1:1 Mich-Cal Shay loco. Oops I let the cat out of the bag.

Frank

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  10:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I'm really getting the feel for what the overall size is going to be now that you gave us the frame rail measurements. Do you think Dave would post a picture of the completed diorama when it is finished?

Mark

W,L,&E

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  2:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark the overall dimensions are 50 long, 22 high and 17 wide. Im sure Dave will post the completed project. Have you seen his 1/6 Tank Destroyer diorama? Go to:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38946

Frank

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  3:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank, so this is how you plan on storing & transporting your Wrecker's Reef display.
Another cool project of yours I'll be watching.

Greg Shinnie

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  6:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Floquil come in gallon cans?

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  8:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know what comes next...

Ty

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 03/01/2013 8:54:33 PM

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Mister Majestic,  Indian Sales Service & Repairs Topic Next Topic: A Great Scratchbuilding Project For Beginners  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000