Railroad Line Forums - Spruce Coal & Timber Layout - The New Saga
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 152 ]  [ Total: 153 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Spruce Coal & Timber Layout - The New Saga
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Port Anne Western RR Topic Next Topic: From  the Clearwater Valley Railway Co Car Shops
Page: of 40

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  8:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I started the little mini layout (Spruce Coal Company - see micro/mini forum), I had planned to incorporate it into a sectional layout I had been working on since last fall.
I started thinking about the next stage and I was fascinated with the small foot print. I love the ability to move it around and (out of the way), because I built a cart for it.

I made some sketches and then made some track design graphics and I have begun construction of a new and improved plan.

Thus far I have built 2 carts for the 60x24 and 72x24 modules and the "piece of pie" connector. I slapped down some HO flex track in the design you see in the graphic and I like the feel of it. I actually operated 2 of my Shay's on it this evening.

So just getting started here and you know how things change as you go. I may add an additional industry but I have my original sketches for the logging area in which I will use as I had started on the (now defunct) older sections.

The backdrop you see is actually from a print I am doing and what I plan to use (copied 3 times from L to R) to give a sense of what it might be like. I created it for a 24 tall x 60 wide print which should be here this week. If I like it I will add to it, but I have not used this particular print lab before, so I need to see if it comes out right. The forest of Red Spruce trees is actually from one of my photographs from down near Cass, WV and the area I am modeling. so that should be cool.

Just thought I would share and any input, comments or "opinions" are absolutely welcome and appreciated.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  10:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey,
I like the concept a lot. I am just not sold on the crossing track in narrow gauge for some reason. It may be more realistic if the rear tracks were an incline up hill. JMHO.
Larry

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  02:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice project, Joey. Considering the quality of what you have already shown, it should be very nice and interesting to follow.
I would just make the curves and countercurves in the rear part of the center module (just left of the white segment showing the 'Logging branch' in the top view) less tight (in fact if you have no scenic reason for them, they could be replaced by a large smooth curve starting from the crossing and turnout on the left and ending at the logging camp and loading area on the right).

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  04:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this build Joey !

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  06:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joey.......like the prototype scenes to be modeled......Slaty Fork was a pretty busy place at the height of the logging boom there. With the WM involved plus the lumber company line mill there was plenty of track to mess with.
Also like your "graphics" in presenting your concept.....wish I had the skills to do same.

Looking forward to seeing how you "unfolld" this little gem.

tom

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  08:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Joey,

Nice concept and great presentation. Like Larry I'm not fond of the crossover. If you eliminate it, it can make for a nice and long run to the logging camp.

Looks like this is going to be a great project to watch develop.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  08:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great comments, keep them coming folks.

As you can see, I am using the mini layout as a tail track for the switchback up to the logging branch, that was part of my plan even on the old sections. Keep in mind that I am limited by space constraints and I am probably going to shorten the 72 on the right module to 60, just to save 1 foot on the left of the mini - It's that tight.

STRUCTURES:
I need industries, something to switch other than a few moves at the future mill. This is not a prototype and I have space considerations. I have to do what I have to do to get what I want out of it and I don't want a module with limited interest or operation. So, no, in real life, the industries may not be in such close proximity, but here they will.

X-OVER:
I am not fond of the X-over myself, and in this case it is not a must have even for space consideration however, I want the tail track to be on this side of the layout. On the mini, the mine is on the far side and I don't want that side to be the tail track. Plus the water tank is on this side - I should create a graphic to depict that. Ideas?.......remember this is only 60 x 24, so there is only so much room for turnouts back to back.

Frederic - I know what you are saying, but I love tight curves, I want this to feel compressed, tight, close with hugging scenery - similar to they way I created the mini layout. I want the feeling to reflect steep hills and close surroundings, backwoods like it really is out here. I want the train to go in and out of sight on occasion when shooting photos from one sport down low.

Larry - The tracks will go uphill, just "not shown" on this graphic - this just shows possible placement for sake of brevity.

Of course, until I lay track - I am open for ideas.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  09:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey,

Looking good. I would like to see some early construction photos of the "carts".

Tom M.

JPIII
Section Hand

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  09:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgive me for making assumptions, but "to the mill" I would assume the mill to be lumber mill? If so, a more direct route from the camp to the mill would be in order. One or the other of the spurs at the camp would be a load bearing spur and that one should go to the mill. I don't know how they did things in WV but on the West Coast the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. Them old boys were innovative on making sure that would happen. The logging road was a slave to the timber and costs of the RR were minimized.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  09:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey, looks like an interesting project.
Can't add to any of the suggestions already made.
I'll be on the look out for pictures as you get started.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  11:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Joey, well be watching. Yeh know pictures are the order of the day.

Mark

W,L,&E

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  11:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joey, nice 3D rendering. I agree that losing the crossing and having the rear track at an elevation would make the layout more interesting, and imply it is truly carved out of the terrain. You could have rocky bluffs with rock cuts to justify the sharper curves. This will be great to see as your plans continue to develop.

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  12:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joey, you are modeling an area of WVa that had a big lumber mill at Slaty Fork (Campbell Lumber Co. I think) that interchanged with the WM there. Why not model the cutting area up the hill....down to the mill at the bottom front of the layout, and then run the line to right side reaching the std gauge Western Maryland where you could dump your 30" coal cars into std. gauge hoppers and load your cut, dried lumber into std gauge boxcars....you could model the std gauge as a single, weedy spur with a raised coal tipple at one end and a flat area where the lumber could be cross loaded. When you think about it, there is a lot of switching action around a lumber mill involving log cars to the dump....flat cars of rough cut lumber being moved to the drying yard from the other end of the mill....and then boxcars of dried lumber being moved to the std gauge interchange. Throw in the occasional moves of log and coal cars going to the "shop" for maintenance and a team track that would hold any type car delivering stuff to folks in town and you've got plenty of operation for a couple of hours of fun. Oh yeah, I forget the little "jittney" railcar taking the miners and loggers to work twice each day.

What every you end up with, I'm sure it will be pretty satisfying to build and photograph.......

tom

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  1:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Verne - I am already working on getting a design worked out eliminating the x-ing and using turnouts - YES YES< there will be hills, cliffs, rocks and a stream as well as a branch line grade up to the camp/landing/loading area - I did not draw it so I could get a basic idea of the module spacing and basic track paths and compare to the space available - That's why on the graphic I put "Not Shown - grades, scenery and terrain features"

JPIII - This is a model railroad and the only way to convey distance is to have the train take a less than direct route (the what 4 feet?) from the "Lumber Mill" to the camp or landing. A straight line of 4 feet just to have the shortest route does not sound like fun to me. Compression and imagination must be used to convey a "feeling or sense of the area:, but I am not trying to recreate a real scene foot by foot. If prototype thoughts were the case, a modeler could just build a bridge across an isle to take the shortest route.

Tom S. - Believe me, my thoughts are with all of that, and I would love to incorporate standard gauge, but I have limited space. This will be a small operation with some of the functions that you mentioned, but I have to use the space wisely (small mill, small pond, engine shop, dependencies and the like).

Tom Matthews - Below is a shot of one of the new carts (before shelving and paint). The top insert shows construction method of Kreg Screws and the lower insert is the smaller completed cart use to house the mini layout that will be incorporated. Since the modules are 60x24, I built the cart 48x24 with 2x4's on hand. I cant remember at the moment how tall off the floor. The wheels are from Lowes and just bang in type after drilling a hole.

Cart strength = I have used this very method to construct a cart to hold car transmissions and used it for years. Moved it around the shop all the time with 300-400 lbs on it.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  8:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by on2rails

Compression and imagination must be used to convey a "feeling or sense of the area:, but I am not trying to recreate a real scene foot by foot. If prototype thoughts were the case, a modeler could just build a bridge across an isle to take the shortest route.

I really like the style and flavor of what you've done on the mini and look forward to seeing the rest development ... your thinking regarding the compromises between "realistic" and "capturing the essence" sounds good ... the mini is a "roundy-round" ... but the thing that captures my imagination is the "setting" ... the "feel" ... and so forth ... it just feels like a little railroad in the hills of West Virginia ... good stuff!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

peterg13
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  8:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit peterg13's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some great stuff here. Looking forward to the build.

Cheers,

Peter G

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: The Port Anne Western RR Topic Next Topic: From  the Clearwater Valley Railway Co Car Shops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000