Railroad Line Forums - what is this car?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 what is this car?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sierra West Railroad Camp (in small steps) Topic Next Topic: 20 stamp mill mockup - O scale  

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  7:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
does anyone know what this was used for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190785855206?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Mike M

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  7:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the looks of the car it had something to do with this.

Just kidding; I wish I could really help you.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Edited by - BigLars on 01/27/2013 7:11:11 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  7:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Odd looking car, Mike. It's as if it would be used where there isn't a mill nearby and a car on the next track would hold a log and get cut as it passed this car. No idea, though.

Chuck

modorney
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  7:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is it was a joke. Back then, a number of companies made cars like Oscar, Piker, and a few others. Some of the magazines had April Fools issues.

Looking at the mechanical linkage, there is no flywheel where the rod connects to the crank.

About that time, one of the magazines (RMC?) created a fictitious car called the Ramsey (named for a city in New Jersey) and photographed it on other layouts.
I was in a college model railroad club at that time, and Ramsey (of the Ramsey Lewis Trio) had recently ripped off the school, so the name had a sour reputation.

and a thoughtful member had organized all the club tools and numbered the hammers, each one having its own hook.
I promptly named the hammers after other New Jersey cities, and the biggest, a baby sledge, got named Elizabeth. Ever since then, the name stuck!
If someone looked for the hammer, unsuccessfully, he yelled out "Where's Elizabeth!"

cheers,
Mike O

Euro-style modeling on a 2 by 5 foot module.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  8:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought it may be a maintenance car that was pushed down the line and with the saw blade, cleared tree branches and brush from the right of way.
It will be a fun car to build just for it's uniqueness.
Mike M

reklein
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  9:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at an enlarged version of the box and it said something like rooster fuel car. My guess it was used to cut logs into firewood lengths on site. Some of the drawings are sort of crude. I'm thinking a cradle of some sort was made to hold logs while they were fed into the saw. Its only a cutoff saw. Bill

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  07:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reklein

I looked at an enlarged version of the box and it said something like rooster fuel car. My guess it was used to cut logs into firewood lengths on site. Some of the drawings are sort of crude. I'm thinking a cradle of some sort was made to hold logs while they were fed into the saw. Its only a cutoff saw. Bill

I believe this to be correct. I have one of these kits on the shelf (somewhere....), but for that selling price it may not be there for long!

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  09:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The selling price was my fault.I did something I never normally do. I got into a biding war with another person. I would bid, and the price would automatically go a step higher than my bid. So, I kept raising the price until I outbid the other person. First time in years I've overpaid for an item. It is a unique piece, so I'll eat it and enjoy the model.
Mike M

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  12:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by closetguy

The selling price was my fault.I did something I never normally do. I got into a biding war with another person.

I see. But then not entirely your fault - takes 2 to tango,

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  12:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most likely the other bidder had put in a big bid that you kept bumping up against until you finally superseded his price. The wife did that, bidding at the last 2-3 seconds on something last week only to have another bidder over take her at the last second with even more $$. That person had not bid at all before. It's funny how the fever hits at times.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  3:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Auction Sniper on all my bids. I set my max price and never go over it. I lose quite often but when I win it's at my price.
Plus, I don't have to sit and keep entering bids. A.S. does it all.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  6:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So It arrived today.

Previous Topic: Sierra West Railroad Camp (in small steps) Topic Next Topic: 20 stamp mill mockup - O scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000