Railroad Line Forums - G scale auto dealership
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Patrick Loves Steam ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 G scale auto dealership
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: G Scale garage final pictures Topic Next Topic: Structures on the LP&N RR
Page: of 3

stickframe
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  3:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello -

I'm about halfway through a G scale auto dealership scratchbuild. I wasnt going to post it, but, it seems to be coming along pretty well, so I thought why not?

While it is not an exact duplicate of a real building, it is inspired by many of the small, old dealers found throughout the US. Attached are a couple images suggesting the general style:

[

The build includes a partial brick facade, like the attached, but, i will use wood in the parapet. The model is similar to a backdrop kit, about a 12" x 24" base, but not too deep. Also, unlike many of my other projects, this will not get a heavy duty weathering. I'm building this for my dad - and he prefers "cleaner" buildings!

please take a look:

The front and corners receive this brick wrap - these are hydrocal, from a company called "Andi" - they look good and are generally consistent with size and quality.

I've been working on the brick laying approach for a while - many pointers from NickO, Neil M and Dallas. The bricks are glued in place -separated vertically by thin evergreen strips i cut from sheets. Once they are in place, i gave them a pretty thorough spray of dulcoat -to seal them, followed by the NickO recommended, spackle mortar:

The approcah worked out fine - while slow (BTW, not NEARLY as slow as the 1/35 build), it's not hard to do - but, you do need to keep mindful of level and perpendicular - etc. it's easy to lose track of that and get wavy walls -

finally, where it is today:

This has been fun so far - no decrepit lumber, badly stained bricks - com-pletely different! The lintels are basswok painted with aged concrete, and the stucoo is antique white + Durhams. About those lamps...they are from a kit, said to be 1/2" scale...they look big to me? - hmmm - what to do....doors/jamb are plastic from Grandt line

Ok, that's all for now,

Cheers

Nick

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  3:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick,

OUTSTANDING !!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  5:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Nick. Your scratchbuild looks great. I will be following your progress. I agree with the lamp sized. Maybe an LED Lamp Sign would fit in the greyblue area.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  5:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang, man! You're really rolling on the projects. Nice brick work. Also agree about the lamps looking a bit large or heavy.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

stickframe
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  3:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, thanks very much! really nice coming from you! your work is really something. I think we might follow a somewhat similar approach in a few areas - i know our building materials are a bit different, but on the design/build side - i remember seeing one of your posts some time ago where you mentioned you just start building and adding materials until it looks right - i think this was on a storefront, and then you stop. I tend to do about the same. If it looks right, i stop - if not, well, you'll see on today's post, no more lights out in front...

LVN, thanks! and hope you do follow along - yep...the lights had to go -

Hey Dallas, while you're cranking away on your railroad projects for a diversion (haha - actually sounds like you're pretty busy), i also thought now would be a good time to do something different (essentially some relief from the 1/35 grande garage), this build, which i expect to move pretty quickly - and, so far so good (except for the lights)

Enough - here we go - today's best result would be that you dont see two of the three things i did last night.

The not to be seen stuff:

1) the mess left from removing the two lights out front (covered with trim), and

2) any mess on the window glass - all went in with few glue blobs, smears, scratches - worked out ok - i hate glue blobs on windows.

And you should see:

The tile on the showroom floor - take a look:

ok, that's it for a while - I'll be tied up with work for the next week or so, but, will be back - thanks for looking and your comments

Cheers
Nick

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  3:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding!
Thanks for sharing Nick.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  5:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just hope we don't see a salesman in a plaid jacket!

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  01:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, this looks great! Nice work on the individual bricks.

stickframe
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  6:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick, thanks for the positive words! As you know, these projects can be a bit daunting, so, thanks again!

Dallas, plaid coat?!? no way! Plaid slacks sir!!

Ray, thanks - yes, I like the bricks too - they just take so long to do! I'm strongly considering a part two of my 1/35 build, and, yes, have ordered more bricks(!?!!) am
I out of my mind!!?!??!

Thanks everyone for looking and your comments - the next step on the auto dealer will be to build the front parapet out of wood - likely next week when work has slowed down a bit.

Cheers,
Nick

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  7:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick! You miniature master mason!
Great work!

greg Shinnie

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  02:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick you seem to be following along quite nicely in the other Nicks footsteps.

Great work

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  07:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Work, Nick.

Mark

W,L,&E

stickframe
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  6:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello - I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in Hangzhou, China. We will present in a few hours - so, in the meantime, checking out the forum!

Greg, ha! Thanks!....maybe a miniature crazy man....I do like the final product too, but the process....

Wes, thanks! NickO is the trailblazer on this - I'm just trying to pick up what I can along the trail. So far, so good. As I mentioned already, I'm currently thinking about a part 2 for my 1/35 build - and yes, for better or worse, it will have more bricks....

Mark, thanks! Encouraging words are appreciated!

When I get home I'll start on the front parapet wall - then the back wall, and finally, the roof. After seeing Bob's work - I'm at a bit of a dilemma. I was not planning to do an elaborate interior....what to do now...?

Thanks for looking and your comments,

Cheers
Nick

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  7:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The eternal dilemma: sanity or the other!

Speaking of the other, check out Greg's spinning new car showroom display on his HO dealership:

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32313&whichpage=12

Now, cue the stooges ... "there ain't no Sanity Clause!"

Cheers,
Dallas

Edited by - dallas_m on 01/26/2013 7:58:11 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  8:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, not the Stooges.

It's the Marx Brothers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS2khYJZKwA

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  8:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sonuvagun! Got that mixed up a bit, eh? Nevertheless, there ain't no Sanity Claus! Nyuck, nyuck ... (oops).

Cheers,
Dallas

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: G Scale garage final pictures Topic Next Topic: Structures on the LP&N RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000