Railroad Line Forums - On30 2010 Gallows T/T build (Attempt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 259 ]  [ Total: 265 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 On30 2010 Gallows T/T build (Attempt)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2nd letter to Bachmann Trains Topic Next Topic: Sticker Shock
Page: of 10

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  9:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will continue in another post to allow for editing. Whatch for "Cookie Placement".

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  9:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I would try my hand at this turntable. It has been bugging me ever since I read the article. Following the instructions, I cut a base of 1/2" plywood 14 inches square. I also used the template to cut the pieces of scale 12" x 12" base pieces. I used A/I stain and roughed the surface a bit with the razor saw.
All photos for this project wil be taken with camera settings -
AV mode/22f ISO automatic, in normal flourescent lighting. No special bulbs.
I will try to follow the instructions as best I can.
Here is the beginning:
0n30 2009 Annual Turntable Build -

The above pictures are of the base and the lower spider assembly support.
That part of the build is still up at the lake.
I am waiting for the styrene order to arrive so I can build the spider mech.
I have been working on the bridge while here in Brooklyn, some pictures to follow soon.
If you have built this unit, feel free to post pictures and "how to's"....As Always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Edited by - Geezer on 01/15/2013 9:55:40 PM

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  10:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going forward with some assembly pictures of the bridge work. After cutting out the plans and pasting them to cardstock, I started on the bridge assembly.

Pretty straight forward, but hard to keep the crossties straigt. This is because the center spider support ties protrude out farther than the crossties themselves. You will be able to see what I mean in upcoming pictures.

The center cross supports receive nbw's inside, so it's a good idea to install them before you glue the supports to the stringers.
Progress is pretty fast, there are only 96 nbw's so far:

Above is the "topside" where the rails are spiked down.

This is the bottom side, even number of nbw's
Just for Tom M -

THIS is where the "Cookie" goes....
There is a twin "cookie" (spider rail support) that will be attached to the base shown in the firts pictures. More to follow when I have pictures. As always, comments and suggestions welcome.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  10:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geezer,

This is great! Looking very good. Where did the NBW come from? What size/type/#?

You are rapidly approaching the point where I stopped. I wish you the best of luck and all the courage in the world in finishing the spider.

Arthur

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  10:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow the cookie looked so big in the first picture.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  11:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good there Geezer, now we know what you and Martin were conversing about.

Mark

W,L,&E

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  12:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Geezer, great start. When I saw 'gallows' in the topic line, I thought 'I need one for my town!' But a turntable is good too! :o)

teaspoon
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  12:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, a fella might want some heavy reading material on hand after eating one of THOSE cookies! . Kidding aside, this is one sweet looking project, very nice construction. The tip about gluing the NBWs first is a good one. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  02:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

THIS is where the "Cookie" goes....
There is a twin "cookie" (spider rail support) that will be attached to the base shown in the firts pictures. More to follow when I have pictures. As always, comments and suggestions welcome.

Mmmm, I love cookies! (Read that in Cookie Monster voice)
Looking REALLY good there ... just be really, really careful to get that cookie and pin properly CENTERED on the whole thing and you'll have an outstanding and beautiful turntable!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  04:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Gents!
Thanks for the kudos -
Arthur to answer about the NBW's, I got them from Mike Barrett @ Black Bear Construction.
they are # GL-0016 and come in the standard 10 per sprue. See the website for prices and
details on the size.
Larry, the spider support is just under 2 7/8" in dia. There are instructions for a
jig to set the rail.
Mark - Thabnks my friend, but Marty & I were going back & forth about a computer program. ;-)
Steve - Thanks for the boost!
Verne - This puppy is a foot long and 3" wide, waaaaayyyy too big for the E&SG's Porters & Schnauzers!! ;-)
Yeah Dallas, that is the downfall of most T/T builds. I left the jig "tacked" on the support so I could
line them all up with the base. The center styrene pivot will help greatly with the allignment.
Cookie monster.....indeed!! LOL!
Gonna go make me some coffee.....More to follow, thanks for stopping by!

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  04:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mighty fine work Geezer. You have really come a long way since i joined the forum.
Jim

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  05:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Geezer.

Interesting build to follow along on.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  06:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geezer, the thread title says attempt, but you are way beyond that.
You are mastering this thing.
Excellent tight joints on those mitered pieces.
Nice color on the wood too.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  08:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go geezer. I had started building this turntable also, but decided to put it to the side to work on the enginehouse instead. What bolt castings are you using? I am using Grandt #18 for the stringers. It appears you chose the same ones for the ties that I did. Just curious. I will pick it up later, but, while I am trying to figure out the spider assembly, I am letting it set on the dust shelf. I am going to watch this thread with great interest. You are doing excellent work!

Happy Railroading!

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 01/16/2013 08:03:54 AM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nevermind on the NBW types. I just read the response above and got my answer. Excitement at seeing another build of this, overwhelmed me and I got ahead of myself.

Happy Railroading!

Dave HWCRR

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  09:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoying his build. I've always wanted a TT like this but have been worried about wiring it wrong and frying a loco. Can't wait to see how you do this.

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: 2nd letter to Bachmann Trains Topic Next Topic: Sticker Shock  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000