Railroad Line Forums - The Par Four Challenge - Jan2013
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 140 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: RLJones ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The Par Four Challenge - Jan2013
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help finding stripwood Topic Next Topic: Calling all par Four challange finishers
Page: of 38

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  10:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To start the challenge, I started by modifying/cutting the base to conform to the challenge size requirements, by staying within the (scale) 30' x 30' (or 900sqft). Some of the lighthouse kit parts are missing, but nothing that a little scratchbuilding canít rectify. Base modified to size, photo below.
My masonry work will be a poured block by block wall up one side of the rock casting, where a small boat can be lowered down by the lighthouse attendant, and the wood will be making the dock ramp from the lighthouse door. And, you all know where the water will be.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

CWRailman
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  10:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit CWRailman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I am saying at this point is that my build will be a bashed structure, part of which will be a kit which I donít believe is available anymore. However before I can start on that I have to get the two major projects currently in the shops completed soÖ. I better get out to the shops.
Denny
Janitor in Training
CW Loco and Car Rebuild Shops
WEB site: http://www.cwrailman.com/
Facebook: CWRailman

wabashbanks
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  11:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some interesting looking projects!! I think I am building a small station. I found one that I think I want to model so after I get the track laid I can begin laying it out and deciding what if anything needs compressed and in what way to work my water features in.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  11:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

I've got a project in mind, but I am wondering , since I'm scratchbuilding my diorama, how often do we post pictures of our progress?
Rich

Rich, post pictures as often as you wish, whenever you make any progress you would like to share. Scratch, bash or kit makes no difference.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/16/2013 11:22:53 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  11:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some very interesting projects emerging already, I'm looking forward to seeing them progress and also to see what else other are going to come up with.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  11:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've settled on my main project for the Challenge.
I will be scratchbuilding an O scale version of the SierraWest "Watertank & Storage Shed" kit.

http://sierrawestscalemodels.com/ckits/tank/tank.shtml

I have a couple of small ideas I may also fool around with.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/16/2013 11:35:13 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  12:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lighthouse base will have a block wall made, using the Jack Work method, that I have used many times before. Article below and the lighthouse base picture, where I will make changes to build a block wall for the lighthouse attendant to lower a small boat down into the water. The picture explains where the rocks will be placed with the block wall, and the ground above will be re-designed for the boat launch area. Also pictures of how I make my blocks. I mix and pour Durhamís rock hard water putty into a mold that was made up of styrene. After the putty dries I remove them from the mold and score/cut around the strip to make the size of blocks, and then snap them off at the score lines, leaving a cut rock face look to them. At this point you can either stack and glue them into place, or make up and glue larger block wall sections if you are doing a large area. For this project I will just be stacking and gluing them individually in place up the rock base, then pouring in plaster behind the wall to fill in the void between the wall and rock casting.

Louis

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  12:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great instructions Louis,
I'm in the process of figuring out how to make my stonework. Problem is I want more of a random stone look.

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  12:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Great instructions Louis,
I'm in the process of figuring out how to make my stonework. Problem is I want more of a random stone look.

Karl.A

If you were to make different size molds, and did the same cutting process, then stacked the different sizes, would you think that would work?

Louis

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  12:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start, Louis. I've read about that method of making a stone wall, but never seen it done. This will informative.

George

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  1:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Louis, I'm so tickled that you are able to use my unbuilt lighthouse kit. I will
definitely follow you along and hopefully gain some additional maritime ideas for my
own use. Thanks for mentioning me earlier on the forum.

John Elwood

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  1:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
I will be trying an old school non cut field stone item. I have a top secret mortar I want to try. I found the stuff after an unfortunate ice hockey injury. Any guesses before I disclose?

wabashbanks
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Great tutorial Louis! Thanks for doing the photo work as it really makes it easy to understand! I wonder if I can do this in N scale??

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  2:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, good tutorial.

Larry, I've got no guesses for the mortar.

Karl, Karl O did a how-to on making a stone wall that might help. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8357
He cut his out the same size, but I don't see why you couldn't cut out irregular shapes.

I started painting the plaster walls yesterday.
Got a lot more to do.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  3:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys, I'll put those ideas in the list with several of my own.

Ultimately, I'll probably spend :-
three days deliberating and finding a "quick" method.....
three hours actually doing it.....
and then save a whole three minutes over a different method......

Karl.A

Just exactly how "unfortunate" was the injury Larry ?????? ....Jock talc....

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: Help finding stripwood Topic Next Topic: Calling all par Four challange finishers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000