Railroad Line Forums - The Par Four Challenge - Jan2013
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 136 ]  [ Newest Member: JohnA ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The Par Four Challenge - Jan2013
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help finding stripwood Topic Next Topic: Calling all par Four challange finishers
Page: of 38

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  10:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nope the challenge is NOT to build a scale golf course.

"Par 4" refers to the four parameters of the challenge.

Your finished model must include the following:

1) Build a fully scenicked scene no bigger than (scale) 30' x 30' (or 900sqft)

2) The scene must contain some form of wooden construction.

3) The scene must contain some form of masonary

4) the scene must contain some form of modelled water.

Other elements can be included.
Start date: Jan 15
Time to complete: 2 months (March 15}

This thread is a place to post all of your updates on challenge progress and comments, and of course lots of pictures !!

I'm sure this challenge will produce alot of creative thinking and great modelling and I am looking forward to the participation of many members.

So, lets get started and have some fun !!

Karl.A

A separate thread for the finished models to be displayed will be opened later today.

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/15/2013 11:15:51 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  3:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, thanks for starting this thread.

Here's a picture of what will be the main feature of my challenge project.
It's a plaster kit by Banta Modelworks.

The wood portion will be a wood and wire fence similar to this one.

Haven't settled on what I'm going to do for the water.
I'll either have a small portion of a stream or just a puddle of water in a dirt road.

Looking forward to what everyone else has planned.

Wouldn't be surprised if Karl were already done.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  5:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now, to determine the type of model I wish to build that will solve two challenges...that of meeting the constraints of the group challenge while having a resultant model that can fit into my future plans of my railroad extension to a seaport village.

I've come up with the idea of creating two navigation range markers that when aligned from a ship's captain's perspective will ensure safe passage into the harbour. The northern Quebec fishing village where I taught for the first eight years of my teaching career had an interesting harbour with a dangerous entrance and range lights were necessary for a safe entrance in and out. The range markers can both be placed on land a certain distance apart. They can both be placed in water. Or, one can be on land with the closer one in water. Consideration must be given for the further light to be higher than the closer for navigational purposes. The "footprint" of a marker can be as small as the size of a buoy or it can be much larger...almost the size of a full lighthouse light tower!

The small footprint of the challenge can provide me the opportunity to create one marker...or, should I decide to build the two with the farther one taller...say up on a rise of land by the water....then a long and narrow footprint can be used. I will certainly make the markers removeable for future use on my layout extension upon my retirement from teaching.

If you wish to learn more about navigation range markers, check out page 8 of 19 from the U.S. Coast Guard Aids to Navigation System Booklet where they refer to them as "Range Dayboards" at http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/workflow_staging/Publications/486.PDF

I'm looking forward to following along with the other fine modellers here at the forum to see how they shake their imagination to create cool models within the criteria of the challenge. Here's to everyone!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  6:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lone Pine Hill is a few miles from my house and 6 or 7 air miles from the mouth of the Merrimack River. The pine is long gone, but in the early 19th century was important enough as a range marker that the merchants supported the tree with chains when a storm damaged it. I've been told the chains were still in evidence within living memory.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  8:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not done yet Rick, heck I'm still juggling ideas......

Your project looks like a great one for the challenge and I will be VERY interested in seeing how you do the fence.

Great idea for working the parameters into your requirements Mike, I look forward to seeing the "markers" and enjoying your build, as always.

I have a couple of quickie scenes I'm toying with and a main project to decide between. Update later thopugh as the oven timer just 'pinged and told me dinner is ready.

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  9:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received from our RR-L Forum member, John Elwood (jbelwood) as a gift, this HO scale lighthouse from his Tidewater Wharf kit that he had built and didnít want the lighthouse. So it came just in time for this challenge, because I had no idea what I was going to build up until this time. Thank you John! Now I have something for the challenge, and can incorporate it into my layout afterwards.
Pictures of the lighthouse kit from BIS, and contents from the kit sent to me by John, pictures below.

And question for Karl.A, Are we able to build our challenge in a separate thread, and post progress pictures here in this thread, as we did last year? This may have already been answered, but I missed it if so.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  9:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That looks like a great project for the challenge Louis !!

Personally I like to follow the challenge builds in the challenge thread, that way I can follow lots of great modelling, great progress and pick up some neat new tips all in one place without keeping track of 20 different build threads.

However in cases such as Dallas' never ending Chambers thread this isnt really feasible

Hopefully if some members feel the need to start a separate thread for their build they will still post plenty of updates and ideas here in the challenge thread for every one to enjoy, now and in the future. Personally I would prefer this thread to get 'cluttered' up with lots of great modelling and great ideas. JMO not a rule.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/15/2013 9:17:14 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  9:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a neat little kit, Rick. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

I've got something on the workbench that has to be wraped up but I have my project figured out. I'll start it shortly.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  9:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

That looks like a great project for the challenge Louis !!

Personally I like to follow the challenge builds in the challenge thread, that way I can follow lots of great modelling, great progress and pick up some neat new tips all in one place without keeping track of 20 different build threads.

However in cases such as Dallas' never ending Chambers thread this isnt really feasible

Hopefully if some members feel the need to start a separate thread for their build they will still post plenty of updates and ideas here in the challenge thread for every one to enjoy, now and in the future. Personally I would prefer this thread to get 'cluttered' up with lots of great modelling and great ideas. JMO not a rule.

Karl.A

That's good for me, this is the place to build and post.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  9:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still trying to figure out masonry in the arctic but I have some ideas.

Rick,
That kit was one of my thoughts. Looking forward to what you do with it. I also thought about the beaver creek station but the footprint was a little too big.

Louis,
That looks like a great project.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  10:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Igloo? ha ha

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  10:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Igloo? ha ha

Karl,
I never thought of that one. Would cut ice count as water and masonry? Small wood fire inside and I am done.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Edited by - BigLars on 01/16/2013 06:57:28 AM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  12:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Some interesting projects.

Rick - that plaster kit looks great! You could always find room for a cattle trough on the other side of the fence to satisfy the water requirement.
Mike - your idea sounds great! - I too am trying to both satisfy the restraints of this challenge while producing something I can put on my layout. I may be bending the rules a little, as you will see.
Nice lighthouse Desertdrover! I was hovering on that thread when it was given away - very generous! I'm sure John will take great pleasure in watching it come to life on this thread.

OK. As some of you will no, I recently started work on another big diorama - behind the Jon H. Olson Chemical Co. For this challenge I will endevour to throw together two seperate bashes for this larger project. Both fit well within the footprint required, so there may be room for a little real estate beside the structures. Depending on how things go I may work on both parts at once, or I may complete part one first.

Part 1.
The kit. I'll be using 1 1/2 of these kits.

The walls.

A drawing that looks like it was done by a 7 year old!!! Thats me and my tragic 'Paint' skills. I find it so hard to draw straight lines with a mouse! That's the overall plan. The road crosses the track via an overpass and then climbs around past the front of the blue building. It is really just an alleyway at this point. The red and the blue sites are the two I will be building on for this challenge, and the red one will be built from the kit shown above.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  01:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys

Some really cool projects planned here. Still trying to find an idea myself.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  02:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ouch! So mean, so vicious, so terribly, terribly true!

There are several small parts of the "eternal" projects that could be finished off within the Par 4 guidelines, which is sorely tempting ... but I'm wrapped up in commercial model projects right now. So, I look forward to some vicarious modeling time by watching y'all tee off on this one.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  08:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a project in mind, but I am wondering , since I'm scratchbuilding my diorama, how often do we post pictures of our progress?
Rich

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: Help finding stripwood Topic Next Topic: Calling all par Four challange finishers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000