Railroad Line Forums - Building the Estrella & Sonora Grande RR Volume 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 271 ]  [ Total: 274 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Building the Estrella & Sonora Grande RR Volume 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Machine shop layout - a little economic history Topic Next Topic: Modified BLI C-16 2-8-0
Page: of 97

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  10:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice photos Verne.. a lot of visual appeal. I really like that office building and can't wait to see your interpretation of it as your station!

Arthur

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  11:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dallas, thank you for your offer. You know what they say about 'great minds' and all...

I got these cheap on e-bay, the source was not given for a manufacturer and they weren't in the packaging you show. However, they look identical.

I tried blackening mine, with the idea of using the 'best one' for a mission bell. To be really accurate, it should have the fine raised beads around its circumference, and some attempt at depicting an emblem cast in its side. It is a bit big for the station, but could perhaps work there as well.

As for finishing, it could use a bit of cleanup from the blackening, and then careful applications of a verdegris acrylic I found from Vallejo that worked great on a cannon model my son and I built recently.

Geezer, thanks, happy to share!

Ron, so true. You either see it or you don't!

Les, it would be a great scratchbuilding project...those windows and doors would be a challenge. Hand-carving the stonework would be a fun task.

Arthur, thanks...it just looks like a station to me! I don't know if I have room for it in Estrella, but feel like it's got to be modeled regardless!

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 03/29/2013 11:46:36 AM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  2:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MinerFortyNiner

I tried blackening mine, with the idea of using the 'best one' for a mission bell. To be really accurate, it should have the fine raised beads around its circumference, and some attempt at depicting an emblem cast in its side. It is a bit big for the station, but could perhaps work there as well.

Those do look like the same pieces ... and with that finish and a little more coloring, they should do the job just fine! In a larger scale, you could fudge the casting details on the bells with some Archer raised-detail transfers (like weld line decals for the ridges, etc) ... but I think that would get lost in O scale. When Christmas rolls around again, buzz thru the craft store and pick up every kinda cheap little bell that shows up ... costs a whopping $5 or $10 to do that, but it pays off eventually!

Off-season, you can probably still find some in various sections ... also look for bracelet and earring charms for more variety in sizes, etc.

And now we know for whom the bell tolls ... it's for you ... and you have a mission (to build) if you choose to accept it ... this message will in 5-4-3 ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  3:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks...the mission has been on hold...still trying to figure out where to fit it into a rapidly shrinking list of available real estate.

Good idea on scoping for stuff like bells during the Christmas season...the bells we have are the right size for a mission, but too large for the station structure.

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 03/29/2013 3:52:43 PM

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  4:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And now, for something completely different...

Here is the amazing story - never before told - of the Golden Nugget Ranch and their famous spring stock drive.

Note to parents: this story includes some humor and images that may not be appropriate for young children. Parents are cautioned to review the entire story before sharing it with their children.

In spring, the Golden Nugget Ranch sends its livestock for shipment in a classic drive reminiscent of cattle drives of the old west. The stock will be driven to the A-OK corral in San Lorenzo, where it will be loaded into stock cars and shipped to El Paso, Texas. Here we see Chuckawalla Slim and his jackalope sidekick, Rocky, settling in to observe the annual spring ‘stock rush’ from the cool shade of the ramada.

The stock will be herded down San Lorenzo’s Main Street, and the event will provide an excuse for some partying and revelry for cowboys, miners, pistoleros and ne’er-do-wells on the night the drive reaches town. The rush was delayed and will come to town late Saturday, meaning the celebration will be more robust. There is a sense of anticipation in the sleepy little town, which doesn’t see much excitement.

A pair of cowboys ride over to the A-OK Corral just to make sure everything in the corral is, well, A-OK. Even in late March, it’s already becoming a warm day in the Arizona sun.

That night, Chuckawalla Slim didn't sleep well, and he had the strangest dream...

(Stay tuned for the next installment...)

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 04/14/2013 03:21:36 AM

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  4:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sunday morning, Chuckawalla Slim awoke bleary-eyed to find the corral full of GIANT BABY CHICKS!

The stock rush had made its way down the dusty main street of San Lorenzo, to the entertainment of townsfolk:

What in the world is going in here? Has the whole town been drinking a bad batch of tequila? Has everyone in the desert gone ‘loco en la cabeza’? Is the sun playing tricks on both eye and camera? Has the guy running this model railroad finally gone nuts?

While the townsfolk watch in amazement, the answers to these questions remain unknown...at least until the next installment...

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  4:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tis is turning into quite a chick flick.
Git along little chickies.

Mark

W,L,&E

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  4:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now comes the exciting conclusion to our story...

Monday morning, the chicks were rousted and loaded in stock cars for the long journey east:

Unfortunately, there’s always some hot dog in the group who has to show off. This chick decided to take a dip in the water trough. Inga, the Director of Quality Control, is trying to persuade the wayward chick to get in the last car.

Finally, all of the chicks were loaded and accounted for, except one...

It seems one of the chicks had hopped the fence into the nearby locomotive service area, and got plucked by a Porter. The engineer sits in the cab, distraught, as railroad employees take in the grisly scene.

Unaware of the tragic end of one of their own, the chicks look bright and chipper. They are very excited to be taking their first (and only) road trip to El Paso.

A stock special was called for the shipment, including a drover’s caboose bringing up the rear. Here they are leaving San Lorenzo eastbound, on their way to Clifton.

The chicks will be transferred to the Arizona & New Mexico in Clifton, then to the standard gauge SP in Lordsburg, New Mexico, for their final leg to El Paso. Once there , they will be kept on a feed lot through summer to be fattened up. Then, it’s a short trip to a big factory next door, where they will become...

...scroll down...

...scroll down...

...wait for it...

...jumbo-sized, mesquite-grilled CHICKEN NUGGETS!

Golden Nugget Ranch brand jumbo chicken nuggets would have been a hit today, but unfortunately they were 80 years ahead of the market for processed chicken. This was to be the only drive of ‘los pollos pequeños’, but was a legend remembered by locals and ranchers in the region for generations.

Now, that’s a story you can sink your teeth into...pass the barbecue sauce, and VIVA EL POLLO!

(A tip of my hat to Chick-Fil-A for the incredible find of a ‘chicken nugget with legs’ AFTER I began working on this story, and to my lovely wife for donating these delicious chicken nuggets to posterity!)

Happy Easter to all! Colorful chicks and colored eggs aren’t the whole story of Easter...
if you'd like to read more about its real meaning, click here.

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 03/29/2013 4:54:41 PM

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  4:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Verne, you're a modeler after my own heart. I've always said there are not nearly enough cute chicks in model railroading.

David Meek

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  4:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the "little kids"......but I'M going to have nightmares!! That dream sequence had a little too much Van Gogh in it for me!!
sully

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  5:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arizona Dave

Verne, you're a modeler after my own heart. I've always said there are not nearly enough cute chicks in model railroading.

Heh! I was going to call the story 'Hot Chicks!' but my Chief Operating Officer (the wife) put the brakes on that real quick!

Sorry for any unintended emotional injury, Sully. Just wait until you read the conclusion, you may never eat a certain fast food menu item again!

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 03/29/2013 5:13:00 PM

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  5:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW, what a day, now that is something you don't see every day! Excellent Easter Post!

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  5:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vern, you really need to get a life. But i like how your mind works.

Mostro
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  5:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!! Do you ever string images together with some music for animation shorts? The scenes and stories are every bit as good as the modeling. Despite the warning I might just have to share this with my daughter. Well, maybe *after* Easter.

*Runs to soak some apple wood and fire up the smoker*

Derick

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  6:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Verne. I hope you decide to do the building. It would be a great addition to your layout.

Roland

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Machine shop layout - a little economic history Topic Next Topic: Modified BLI C-16 2-8-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000