Railroad Line Forums - Fos Scale Models Red Hook Wharf Build HO scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: BRONYUR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fos Scale Models Red Hook Wharf Build HO scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SRMW- Martins Machine Co. - Kitbash Topic Next Topic: TrainClowns Tip Of The Day, Custom Made Windows
Page: of 44

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  2:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drummer Boy

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words. I do plan on providing lots of photos. By the way, the building I'm working on right now is the J. Knapp Ship Chandlers building. I got to ask. Did Doug name that after you? Reg Shaffer

Hey Reg....yes, Doug was very nice to name one of his buildings after my name. I'm not going to lie, I was really excited to have Doug name one of his structures after me. Must have been all the money I've spent on FOS Scale kits the past ten years !!! Seriously though, whatever the reason, I thought it was pretty cool of him to do that....

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  3:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Reg and John...I was also quite humbled when Doug named Elwood's Diner after me in the Garment District kit.
Both my father and grandfather owned diners in Bridgeport, CT. Reg, I will be following your posts with great
interest as I love Doug's kits. Would love to have built this one but have no more room on my layout. However,
4 of my friends have the kit so I informed them of this forum. Your obvious craftsmanship will be of great help to
them. Looking forward to your build.

John Elwood
Olympic & Puget Sound Rwy.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the warm words. Wow! What a great memory you have. Yes, that's me. If your a Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette reader you might also remember The Sawmill Chronicals from the 80's. That was also me. Reg Shaffer

Hi Reg,

This is pretty amazing. I loved your station so much and the photograph was so perfect (using your trusty SRT-101) that I tore the page out of the MR and its been hanging over my workbench for over 30 years. It's getting a little faded but I still see it every time I sit at my bench...and it still is so impressive.

Is your model built from the Timberline kit or did you scratchbuild it? However you did it, your model is my all-time favorite station and you presented it so well.

About 10 years ago I finally obtained the Timberline Granite Station kit but a lot of castings were missing and I had to order a bunch from SS Ltd. Interestingly, the metal "owner" plaque was in the kit and it's still wrapped in the sealed bag.

Reg, I apologize for hijacking your build but I was really geeked when I saw your name and I brought the station photo upstairs to make sure the name was spelled the same...so I asked. Glad I did. Also, I'm going to check back on my old issues of the NGSLG for the Sawmill Chronicles. Thanks.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Drummer Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  8:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,

It's funny you mentioned having the station photo at your work bench. About 2 months ago I was reading one of your building threads on a FSM kit. In one of your photos I saw my photo of the station hanging above your work bench. I did a double take and showed it to my wife. So the station has come full circle. When I saw your name I remembered seeing my station photo in your photo. Very nice to meet you. I've been following some of your builds and I must say, I'm impressed with your craftsmanship and modeling energy.

To answer your question on the station. I built it from the kit and scratch built the covered outside stairway to the 2nd story. You could say I almost scratch built it though. The wood for the walls was so bad I had to remake all the walls from board bat sheets using the old walls as a cutting template. The roof was made to be removable and there was a full first and second floor interior added with a operating fireplace in the waiting room down stairs. This station is now in the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, California along with 4 other models of mine. Reg Shaffer

Drummer Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  9:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John E.,

Thank you for your kind words. I hope your friends enjoy the build. Reg Shaffer

Reg Shaffer
Pleasanton, Ca.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  04:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reg, I too have been a avid reader of your sawmill chronicles. It's great to see you become a member of RR-Line.
The building in the first page of this thread is very nice, and I'm looking forward to see more of your work.

Drummer Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  12:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ferderic,

Thank you for your warm welcome and kind words. Even though the Sawmill Chronicles are out of print. Gazette editor Bob Brown tells me he still gets people asking for copies.

Reg Shaffer
Pleasanton, Ca.

Drummer Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  2:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Still working on the J. Knapp Ship Chandlers building. I prefer doing all the work I can do on the walls while they are flat on my work bench. By the time the walls are ready to be glued together there is not much left to do other than install the roof and roof signs. I'm ready to start gluing on all the windows and doors. Then I will install the window glass and shades on the back side. Then all the signs that go on the walls. I've included 3 photos of my progress up to this point. Stay tuned for the final wall photos before the walls get assembled. Reg Shaffer

Reg Shaffer
Pleasanton, Ca.

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  3:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Reg....thanks for the update. It's gonna look good!!

Hey, just curious...were you able to find, in your kit, the metal detail "finial" for the top of the roof on the J. Knapp - Ships Chandler building? I can't find it in my kit (...as well as my friend can't find it in his either) and I know that this detail was missing in another kit (...being built on another forum). Anyway, it's something you might want to look into.

Doug, at FOS Scale, is very good about sending out missing parts/details, etc. when this sort of thing happens.

Drummer Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  4:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

It's funny that you ask that question as I discovered the finial and the roof vent on the Grove Paint were missing in my kit and also a friends. I contacted Doug 3 days ago. He said that they pack the kits in groups of 11 to 12 kits at a time and most likely those pieces will be missing in that group. I just received the missing castings not more than 15 minutes ago for both myself and my friend. Very good quick service. So, anyone getting these early kits may want to check there kits.

Reg Shaffer
Pleasanton, Ca.

Gate5
New Hire

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  5:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reg:
What do you plan for a base for the whole kit. I just got mine in the mail yesterday and I am impressed that all that fits in that smallish box. I was planning on using foam board so I could crave out for the water portion. What's your thoughts?

Dick Foster
Sonoma CA

Gate5
New Hire

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  5:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys I didn't "crave" but meant "carve" out the harbor although they may be an easier way.

Dick Foster
Sonoma

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  5:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi John,

It's funny that you ask that question as I discovered the finial and the roof vent on the Grove Paint were missing in my kit and also a friends. I contacted Doug 3 days ago. He said that they pack the kits in groups of 11 to 12 kits at a time and most likely those pieces will be missing in that group. I just received the missing castings not more than 15 minutes ago for both myself and my friend. Very good quick service. So, anyone getting these early kits may want to check there kits.

Hi Reg....

Hmmm...I didn't notice if the vent for Grove Paint was missing in my kit. I'll have to check for that one. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, Doug provides exceptional service and if there's something missing, or even if you happen to break a part, he'll replace it. That's just another reason why he's at the top of my list of great craftsman kit manufacturers.

Well...look forward to your next update! Talk to you later.

Drummer Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  6:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dick,

You know I haven't thought that far ahead yet except I'm pretty sure I'm going to use layered foam board for the land base part of the wharf like Doug suggests at the end of the instructions but that could change as I get closer to construction.

Make sure you check your kit for a missing finial for the tower on the J. Knapp building and a missing roof vent on the Grove Paint building (see the above posts).

I thought the same thing about the box size. That's an engineering task in itself fitting all that kit in that size box. I honestly thought Doug sent me the wrong kit when I saw the shipping box. Reg Shaffer

Reg Shaffer
Pleasanton, Ca.

Drummer Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  6:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John Knapp,

I'll bet your missing the roof vent. Some may miss noticing it because there isn't any reference to it in the instructions. I just noticed it in the photos. The YouTube video has been a wonderful reference for me so far. It shows things that you can't see in the photos and you can pause it for a closer look. I have it booked marked on my iPad and use it all the time. Here is the link for anyone that hasn't seen it. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JjKD1Zxq8-8
Reg Shaffer, Pleasanton, Ca

Reg Shaffer
Pleasanton, Ca.

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: SRMW- Martins Machine Co. - Kitbash Topic Next Topic: TrainClowns Tip Of The Day, Custom Made Windows  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000