Railroad Line Forums - Card Stock Where to Buy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: prrfan59 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Card Stock Where to Buy
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: How do you glue/solder etched brass fire escapes? Topic Next Topic: A little help please  

JerryBN
New Hire

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  5:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been searching online and have had no luck.
Where can I buy cardstock like we get in FSM, Barmills, FOS Limited kit?

Thanks,
Jerry

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  5:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Jerry --

I get surprisingly good cardstock by recycling cereal boxes and things like that. I particularly like Ritz cracker boxes.

But if you want a bigger selection of thicknesses and compositions, try an art supply store - local or on-line. Take a look at Strathmore board, as a starting point.

Gotta go eat some more crackers...

Don

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  5:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jerry I took my printed card stock from FSM
to one of those print shops and they made me copy's the same thickness and have many others so said the owner. Tom

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  5:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A quick check online of Office Depot and Walmart .. they have cardstock ..

Office Depot

65 lb Card Stock
67 lb Vellum Bristol Cover Stock
90 lb Index Card Stock
110 lb Index Card Stock

Walmart

65 lb card stock

For other thicknesses you laminate using 3M 77

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  7:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
Go to a Michaels or Blick or Ultreck or any other arts supply store and by "CHIP" board. It comes in different ply's. I use 2 ply chip board. The stock I have seen in kits is probably a 3 ply equivalent. A 22" x 34" piece is usually $1.75 to $3.00 depending on the store and the quality. It is usually brown/grey in color. I have bought white chip board but its much more expensive and who cares. we cover it anyway.
Cheap, good quality cardboard for a really cheap price. Strathmore is too expensive.
Mike M

JerryBN
New Hire

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  11:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.

Jerry

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  08:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

I go to an Art Supply store, that also does framing of photographs. If you can find such a framing place nearby, they cut the centers from matting board down in size, until they reach the center. What is left is not useable. I get them for free, but you could offer a small amount for them. They are a little thicker than cardstock, but will not warp. I use them for roofing base for cedar shingles. Most seem to be 4 to 5 inches square. Being thicker does not matter, as you can glue on a rafter at the end of your roof, and the matt material thickness does not show.
Rich

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  10:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get my 110# card stock at Staples or Office Depot, etc.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  11:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by closetguy
[br
Cheap, good quality cardboard for a really cheap price. Strathmore is too expensive.
Mike M

Use your Sunday newspaper discount coupon for Michaels and Strathmore is affordable. It's a great product to work with. 100 pound Strathmore fits in my printer and it cuts cleanly. I use a scalpel or a single edge razor for cutting.

George

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
Chip board is thicker than 100lb papers. Its a true cardboard. Like a mentioned, its more in the line of stock you find in Campbell Scale model kits. I just picked up a Campbells box and the thickness of the box is that of 2 ply chip board.
Mike M

Previous Topic: How do you glue/solder etched brass fire escapes? Topic Next Topic: A little help please  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000