Railroad Line Forums - Hay Bales - HO Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: Seabee Don ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Hay Bales - HO Scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Huzzah!! Its My First Foscale Kit!! Topic Next Topic: Need Instructions
Page: of 2

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  9:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In another thread a discussion was made about making HO scale Hay Bales, so I thought I’d post a How-to on this subject. There have been many members, with many ideas on this subject and all good information supplied by all. Forum member TrainClown is where I got my inspiration to make them. He used wood and thicker twine, where I’m using cork and finer jute twine. Here was TrainClown’s how-to; http://www.railroadline.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11584&whichpage=10

As you follow the pictures, these are the steps I took to make my hay bales. First picture shows the items used. Midwest HO cork roadbed, Natural color Jute twine, and White glue.

I cut the scale bales from the cork, a scale 16"x21"x39". Then cut up the natural color Jute twine with scissors and a chisel blade to get it more like HO scale hay. Then I put the white glue all over the piece of cork, holding it with a pin, and dabbing it into the cut up Jute. Once dried, I tie the bales with two strings of tan sewing thread

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished Hay bale.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  9:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The above link goes to (Direct Domains) for some reason. So look here on page #10 of this thread for TrainClown's how-to; http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11584

Louis

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  10:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Thanks for posting this how-to.

In the original link to TrainClown's how-to, the dash is missing between railroad and line (ie. railroad-line).

Jeff S.

Edited by - jschumaker on 12/05/2012 10:33:21 PM

djdutch
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  05:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Louis I like your how to;)

DJ

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  06:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a nice approach to making the bales, and the results look quite realistic. Thanks for adding this technique to our repertoire, Lou.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

djdutch
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  07:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmz if I hit the link to trainclowns thread I get a page that says railroadline.com for sale now only 442 dollar :s

DJ

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  09:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DJ,

See my earlier post in this thread explaining why you get the wrong link.

Jeff S.

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  09:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for taking a look and posting your comments.

Louis

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  09:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Louis:

Very well done. They look very realistic.

Karl

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  09:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

You have given me a way to use the scrap pieces of cork roadbed that always seem to be left over after a project.

Jeff S.

djdutch
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  09:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I mist that

DJ

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lou for the "How-To". I noted in your pictures and earlier posting that the hay looks 'loose' in the bale. When I tried the technique a while back all of my bales looked like the hay was compacted, more like it was painted on the bale or just a blob of glue and thread bits. I tried to thin the white glue, as well as using it right out of the bottle. I did not 'pack' the bale, but just stuck it into pile of cut twine threads, touching the threads just enough to get the bale base (I was using wood painted roof brown for the base) covered with the twine. I might also add that I tried to just use a very thin film of glue, nowhere as much glue as you show on your base piece.

Any ideas/suggestions to help me cure my rotten bales so that I can get some LP's critters fed? Sorry no pic's as I long ago tossed the bales I made?

Thanks to anyone in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 12/06/2012 10:18:51 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Louis!

Thanks for sharing.

Pete
in Michigan

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Send bitlerisvj an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This of course, if a fantastic idea! I did something very much like this to add weight to a Taurus Models Oregon Short Line stock car kit. If you never built one of these, think twice before you do. It is pretty much a board by board scratch build with a few etched brass parts. You can even make it so the roof is removable, which I did. Anyway, the finished car is so light, it most likely wouldn't stay on the tracks. Since the interior can be seen, I decided it needed hay bales, but instead of using basswood or balsa, I used lead and I was able to make them big enough, but still they were scale size lead hay bales that added just the right amount of weight. I put in two hay bales, one over each truck. The interior was painted white, to reperesent a lime wash and the hay bales look great. Being lead, I did need to paint them a tan color. The basswood obviously doesn't need paint.
Regards, Vic B.

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Thanks Lou for the "How-To". I noted in your pictures and earlier posting that the hay looks 'loose' in the bale. When I tried the technique a while back all of my bales looked like the hay was compacted, more like it was painted on the bale or just a blob of glue and thread bits. I tried to thin the white glue, as well as using it right out of the bottle. I did not 'pack' the bale, but just stuck it into pile of cut twine threads, touching the threads just enough to get the bale base (I was using wood painted roof brown for the base) covered with the twine. I might also add that I tried to just use a very thin film of glue, nowhere as much glue as you show on your base piece.

Any ideas/suggestions to help me cure my rotten bales so that I can get some LP's critters fed? Sorry no pic's as I long ago tossed the bales I made?

Thanks to anyone in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

I don't know what to tell you Kris, I just put the white glue on straight from the bottle, dip the cork into the cut fibers without pressing them down, and let it stick at will, then set aside to dry. They seem to stick to the cork and slightly wick out, looking like hay fibers.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Jeff, Pete, thanks for your comments and Vic, nice idea with the lead weights. That information can be very helpfull to me.

Louis

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Huzzah!! Its My First Foscale Kit!! Topic Next Topic: Need Instructions  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.49 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000