Railroad Line Forums - The Great War
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: johnbell238@aol.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The Great War
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rich White Models Topic Next Topic: FOS Mitchell and Godfrey Distillers
Page: of 2

Koala Creek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  4:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Koala Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A while ago I bumped into the following video on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/F3s01i3aa7w?hd=1

It shows the U.S. operated 60 cm gauge Light Railways in France during America's brief 19-month involvement in Word War I. I became quite interested in the subject and after reading "Narrow Gauge To No Man's Land" by Richard Dunn and decided to build a small layout/diorama, showing an American/French operated line running through a small village in the north-east of France. Soemthing like this:

From what I have seen, most of the rolling stock is available in 009, which is 1:76 scale models running on 9mm gauge.

For example this 2-6-2t Baldwin is available as a kit from Five79. I also went looking for the right figures to use for the layout and bumped into W^D Models. They have a great range of 1:76 figures, including French soldiers and American engineers. I already bought some and tried to paint a couple of French soldiers as a test.

The main road in villages in this area mainly consisted of farms like the ones below.

As my diorama/layout will be needing quite a few of those I have been looking for a simple way to construct them and of course also had a look at some models of French buildings like the ones that have been constructed by Emmanuel Nouaillier. I decided on trying make out of 3 mm Styrofoam and 0.38 mm Laserboard.
After making a design for the first test building, I visited my friendly neighbourhood laser-cutting company this morning. This gave the following result:

I used a small screwdriver to imitate some cracks in the wall and a small metal brush to add tiny dents to it. Furthermore, I gave it a layer of the special Styrofoam primer and after it had dried, a wash of black acrylics.

Then came the work that took a bit more time. I gave the wall the right colour ... again thinned acrylics, but not as thin as the wash. After that, another wash of black acrylics. And as a final touch, I gave it a bit of dry brushing with the original wall colour, to which I added a bit of white.
I also added the shutters, one of the window frames and the farm doors ... notice that I forgot to add the planks of the farm doors to the drawings, so those were not engraved by the laser. Not very clever, but luckily this one is still a test.

Made a picture with one of my painted figures, just to see if the dimensions of the building are correct.

... and also one with a finished engineer of the 21st Engineers Light Railways Regiment.

I adjusted the design of the French farmhouse a bit, as the previous version looked a bit oversized.

As a next step, I started working on a Joffre locomotive of the French army, which is a white metal kit by Five79.

... which gave me a good opportunity to check the size of the small layout/diorama that I am intending to build.

The cutting mat on which everything has been placed is 43 x 58 cm, while the layout/diorama will be 110 x 55 cm. Looking at the picture above, the front of the layout will be on the left side and the back on the right. The set-up on the cutting mat only shows a small section of course, as the layout will be about 2.5x longer.

Hope that the pictures below give a bit of an idea of what I am trying to build.

And finally, I almost finished my first building for the layout last week ... al that is left are the glass and the curtains.

I know it is a long way before the layout is ready, but believe that the first steps are there.

Cheers,

Jeroen

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  5:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Great subject & location ... beautiful start to the work. Looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  5:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love history! I love modeling!I love it when the 2 come together!
Looks like your off to a great war start!

Greg Shinnie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  6:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it! Looking forward to more progress pics, what you have done so far is excellent!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  6:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeroen

Thought you you might be interested in the Gazette cover from Nov/Dec 1991.

I though I would through in a Doughboy just for kicks. To fill a railroad car you'd need 50 of them.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/14/2012 6:33:13 PM

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  6:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start on an interesting subject.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  7:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very well done!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  7:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of people interested in trench railways and their equipment over at http://ngrm-online.com

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Koala Creek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  1:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Koala Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All,
Thanks for the good words! I will do my best to keep this thread alive with updates.

Dave,
I am already posting my progress over there ... it's a great forum.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Koala Creek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  01:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Koala Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Spent some hours this evening on painting a W^D Models figure for the layout. Love the pose of this one.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Edited by - Koala Creek on 12/09/2012 01:17:44 AM

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  01:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice work and great subject can't wait to see more
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  09:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am watching with great interest. I have been wanting to model this subject for some time in 1/35.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  09:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeroen --

a) That looks like some REALLY nice figure painting!
b) Any chance of larger photos? Maybe 800 pix wide? There are freeware programs available that will allow you to do that and keep them under 120k for posting.

(Just asking, because it looks like your models deserve a closer view!)

Cheers,
Dallas

Koala Creek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  10:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Koala Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the link to a larger version:

http://www.koala-creek.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/wdmodels001.jpg

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  10:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much better! Beautiful work outlining and shading such a tiny figure. Very nice!

Cheers,
Dallas

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  11:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These houses are very well done and definitely look very French, Jeroen.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Rich White Models Topic Next Topic: FOS Mitchell and Godfrey Distillers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000