Railroad Line Forums - My Underground Railway, a New Home and a New Name
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 My Underground Railway, a New Home and a New Name
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Temperature Requirements for Train Room Topic Next Topic: The MA&Gs Peoples Avenue Yard Project
Page: of 15

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  1:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jack,
Near the end of the last video is my barge area and you can see how I sloped the tracks down so that I can bring the water level up to meet the rails like in the picture.
Here is a video of the barge area and the boardwalk beside the loading ramp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2OiOqDr7Dw&feature=youtu.be
My plan is to make the barge my programing track since there is a natural gap from the ramp to the barge and I have to power the barge separately anyway.
I'll post some photos of the area progress since that video.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  11:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I made the gate I wasn't sure how I was going to treat the transition of the track from the benchwork to the wine cellar gate. It sat for about 2 months before I came up with this.

Once I established track location I decided to go with the blank PC board. I used a Dremel tool to cut a line down the middle for electrical separation, I then used a piece of flex track about two inches longer than the PC board on each end. While soldering the track to the PC board I used a Track Gauge to hold the track in place while I soldered. After that was done I added guard rails using a wooden rail tie as a spacer for the wheel flanges. I then closed the gate and made sure it was in the position where the Sliding lock on the fascia fit into the latch perfectly. Once this was done I placed the PC board track straddling the gap from the benchwork to the gate. I made sure it was properly aligned with the trackwork and then fastened it down. In my case there is six of these plates and with them installed as is, the gate will not open and shouldn't even move. The next order of business was to use the Dremel tool and cut the gate gaps in the PC board and rails and filed a slight bevel on the inside corners of the cut rails to allow for any misalignment.
It works like a charm!

Once this was completed I was able to move onto the Barge area and plan out some track. Because of my idea to submerge part of the rails I had to come up with a way of bending the track and not the way it normally gets bent. It had to bend UP, So thought I would try using the railbender from Fast Tracks and instead of bending it right or left I put the crown of the rail towards the bending roller and the bottom rail flange to the stationary rollers and se what would happen. much to my surprise the darn thing worked...Bonus. When I put it together I used one of the Rail fixtures from Fast Tracks to hold the rails in scale as I soldered the PC ties to the rails.
Here is the result.

You know if someone had asked me when I got into the hobby if I thought I would be scratch building special rail features, I would have told them they were crazy, No way. Well here I am doing just that making my own Turnouts Crossovers and hand made Gauntlet track (28 feet of it) I'll show you that when we get closer to that area.
Here's some more on the barge.

In this picture you can see the drywall screw that I used to fasten down the barge. This area is open on the front of the layout and on the back end of the barge so I will have to Dam the two edges so I can pour some Envirotex Lite. I was hoping to be able to remove the dam and polish the edge of the Envirotex to be able to see fish in the water from the side. Well that's my plan, I hope it works.

Oh yea! Here is a picture I almost forgot about, it's left over from my days in the crawl space. The Brown Chair. This chair was my back and knee saver. The Crawl space being about five feet floor the rafter. I made three of these chairs by cutting the hydraulic and lowering the centre post then replacing the seat and centre mount. The seat is about 12" from the floor. The chair now serves as my mobile support while doing the wiring under the Fourty Creek layout.

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  12:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is some very impressive track work going on there Ralph!
Your solution of using the PC board on the wine cellar gate is fantastic!
The same for your track work approaching the car barge.
Though I'd like to see how engines & cars go through that dip.
I am certain you have tested it and it works just fine.
Definitely,no yardening going on at your house these days.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 09/08/2012 4:21:16 PM

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  08:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ralph, it was great seeing the tour of your developing layout. It was also nice to read the history and how the previous layout was such a family endeavour. I really like the construction of the movable section at the entrance to the wine storage area. I also really like the barge you made following the advice from Troels. Can't wait to see a train running! Great job, all around!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  2:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That car ferry scene is super. I guess you will be trying some of Troel's water techniques soon.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  11:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Thanks for your comments, the PC board plates on the gate would probably never happened is I had not worked on making my own turnouts. As for the approach to the barge I may have to reduce the bend on the submerged track section slightly. I have a couple of critters that I plan to use for loading and unloading of the barge. The pilots on the longer engines get stuck by gounding out on the railheads.

Mike,
It was as you suggest, Troels who gave me the idea of the foam board for the Barge. However, being that it is made of foam board I had to fasten it to the wood deck below so that it won't want to float on the Envirotex Lite. If you go back and take a look I have 4 - 5 manhole deck covers over the fastening screws.

Chris,
Yes, I will be using Troels' technique for all my water effects. For the barge area I will have to use Envirotex first in order to build up the water level to cover the rail ties. The water will be the last thing to go in.

Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  4:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I mentioned earlier my affinity for water and bridges and have been trying to encorporate both in my layout. So far I have shown you my waterfall area that has both water and trestle, the barge area and wine cellar gate. I was going to have water in the backdrop of behind the gate, but I like Greg,s idea of a Vineyard for the wine cellar. Thanks Greg.

The gate has three truss bridges and I don't know if you noticed but behind the barge along the wall is an 8'-0" steel girder & trestle bridge that will join up with another bridge that will span over my harbour and lead into the top of my helix.

You can see the steel bridge here in the background. In order to span the gap I bought an 8'-0" length of aluminum channel from the automotive supply store here in Canada called Princess Auto. I tried Home Depot and Loews but all they could provide was 4'-0" pieces.
What I did was cut some score marks on the sides and top of the channel with a Dremel cutting disk to help 5 min epoxy grip the channel and hold the girders to the sides. I'm currently working on the bents for the trestle

The bridge over my harbour is going to be a real challenge. I want it to be an arched steel bridge with a long enough arch to span almost 4'-0". I have a book from Kalmbach called Bridges for Model Railroads. In this book there is an article on Bear Creek Bridge and how to build it. This bridge is similar to the Stoney Creek Bridge in BC. Here is a link to a Google search of images of Stoney Creek Bridge.

www.google.ca/search?q=stoney+creek+bridge&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Nk9&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=dvdMUNfjJ8Pb0QGawIDwBg&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1261&bih=781

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  8:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, so the next area along the rails is the gauntlet track and harbour.
I chose to install a gaunlet track solely for the purpose of saving real estate around the helix. Without it there would be little room to walk past the helix.
Here is the description I posted in another thread asking about Gauntlet Tracks.
quote:
Originally posted by CN6401

Well, I finally have a Gauntlet track, all 28.5 feet of it surrounding my helix. One end starts with part of a #6 curved turnout and three feet of hand laid straight track 25 ft of flex track and ending with part of a #5 turnout.
Making the straight track was getting to cumbersome and time consuming so I ended up using flex track, removed every tenth tie and soldered in a PC tie to which was soldered the second and fourth rails. Gaping both, for (lack of a better term) positive and negative as well as track one from track two. Throw in a reverse loop module, AR-1 and a mono frog juicer, some (a lot) of cursing and swearing and voila, IT LIVES. All in the name of saving valuable real estate.

So here we go, here is the entrance to the Gauntlet track.

Here is how I started out making the gauntlet track.It ended up being a real chore to add all the ties.

I finally ended up realizing that for the length of track I wanted would end up taking forever to solder all the ties in place.
I racked my brain for month trying to figure out how to accomplish my goal. I finally stumbled on the solution while laying some track in the corner where my harbour. The answer to the problem was simple, use flex track. I removed every 10th-13th plastic tie from the flex track and solder in a PC tie hold the 4 rails in place. I joined the flex track the usual way and made sure for the gaunlet that the rails were joined on top of a PC tie.

More to follow, stay tuned.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

Edited by - CN6401 on 09/12/2012 8:57:05 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  8:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess you could say Ralph, that you have thrown down the gauntlet!
Nice Work again!

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 09/12/2012 10:37:26 PM

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  9:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're right Greg I did just that! Thank god it's finished.
The worst part is that the gauntlet is also a reverse loop times two. So one AR-1 handled both tracks and a single or Mono Frog Juicer handled the frogs at either end.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

Edited by - CN6401 on 09/15/2012 12:39:41 AM

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  10:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, my Wine Cellar gate got a good workout today.
I made my wine my wine today all 200 litres, which I will have to baby for a couple of weeks.
Can't wait 'til Christmas now to sample and bottle it.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  5:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did this little drawing to help explain how I isolated the reverse loop in the Gauntlet Track.
I personally don't like plastic rail joiners and I don't trust the the air gap cut into your laid track won't move so I came up with this.

Once I determine where the gaps need to be located I remove the plastic ties and replace them with this little device. I solder into position first and then cut the gaps.
Works like a charm! Perfect alignment.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  10:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph,
I have been lurking. The scene with the CP fm and the tracks under the water has been on my bucket list to model. I am glad you are taking it on first. Now more than ever I need to stop in when I get to TO. Great stuff keep the posts coming.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  02:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its looking great. The solution to your wine cellar door should work out well. It looks to be a nice solid joint. I guess my question, and the million dollar question, is how are you going to model 'submerged' rails to the barge? Low tide with water lapping up against the rails but not totally submerged? Gloss medium or varnish brushed on in layers for control or Envirotex which is less controllable? W/S water effects might be a solution also. I think that is how I would try and tackle this. It looks very challenging.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  08:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm! 200 litres of wine x 6 glasses of wine per liter. Ralph we may not be hearing from you in a while. Just kidding! Look forward to your continued progress.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: Temperature Requirements for Train Room Topic Next Topic: The MA&Gs Peoples Avenue Yard Project  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000