Railroad Line Forums - My Underground Railway, a New Home and a New Name
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 My Underground Railway, a New Home and a New Name
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Temperature Requirements for Train Room Topic Next Topic: The MA&Gs Peoples Avenue Yard Project
Page: of 15

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  12:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In this thread I hope to show you my journey into building a second HO layout.
My first was called the GMR Underground Railroad. I will explain the roots of my first layout and why it got its name and how my new layout got its new name.
Ralph
Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  12:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Underground Railroad gets a new name.
Let me explain! About twelve years ago my oldest son asked, “Dad when are we going to build a permanent layout?” He was 22 at the time. You see, up to that point the only track time anyone got was at Christmas when I would put a loop around the tree and remove it the day after New Years.
We’ve been in three other homes since my two boys were born. When we moved into our present home there was a room in the basement that was about 20 x 10, which I made my hobby room. I was doing custom model cars and trucks at the time.
After introducing both the boys to competitive modeling, my youngest decided that he wanted to move to the basement. My wife and I agreed and I took over his as my hobby room, a much smaller room for me and a huge room for him. He ended up becoming a Sound Engineer so we turned that basement room into a sound studio and he moved his bedroom into our spare room upstairs,

So, in answer to my oldest sons question, I told him, “if you can find me the space I will build one”.
His response showed me just how much he wanted a layout. It took about 4 days and multiple conferences with his mother and what he came up with was just short of amazing. He had slowly and methodically moved things around in the crawl space and cleared a space 25 x 8, I couldn’t say no after he worked so hard. The crawl space was 5’-6” floor to ceiling and with a little work on my part was doable, so I operated there for the better part of 10 years slowly growing my Underground Railroad.
The layout was a J-shaped dog bone with 16”shelf and 48” turn around on either end. The GMR logo was based on the CN noodle logo. GMR was the initials of our first names, the my two boys and mine
Shortly after I got started building my oldest moved out to Vancouver, British Columbia.

Well two years ago December 2010 my youngest went to work in Australia and I got my room back in the basement (halleluiah). So work on my underground railroad was suspended, which I figure was a good thing since I made some mistakes that I was glad to leave behind and use as a learning experience.

-Work on the new layout started immediately.
-My new layout is bigger and better.
-I corrected the problems I discovered on the first layout.
-My grades now are 2% not four
-My curves and helix are broader.
-I’ve allowed for future expansion to an upper deck on one side
-Allowed for double track on the helix if need be.
-I’ve added DCC to the new layout unlike the DC on the underground layout.

The following photos are the birth of the Fourty Creek Railroad, a fantasy line loosely based on two coastlines and the Canadian National Railway.
I hope you enjoy my journey and photos depicting my Fourty Creek Railroad.
I’ll explain later how the name came to be, but for now, enjoy the Fourty Creek Railroad.

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

Edited by - CN6401 on 08/31/2012 12:14:15 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  01:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking foward to seeeing what you have Ralph.

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  08:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great back story, best of luck with the new layout!

Mike

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  12:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting Ralph.
Looking forward to the pictures.

As you think, so will you be.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  1:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new space and the opportunity to start fresh!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  2:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to following along, lots of pics I hope.

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  2:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well guys, I was hoping to post some completed photos of the Underground Railway, but didn't realize until this morning that when my hard drive crashed & died last summer it took all my photos with it. I did however, find some of the build photos. The thrust of the UR was scenery.
This layout was 30 inches off the floor and I had special office chairs that I altered in order to save my back and head.

Soooo...here we go.

OK, Ok, I know it's not the Forty Creek.
I will start that tomorrow, it's my wife's Birthday today and if she knew I was writing this now she would have me shot. Well maybe just a few nights in the dog house.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

Edited by - CN6401 on 09/02/2012 10:18:20 PM

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  10:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph your progress looks great so far.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  12:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first few picture are a little blurry do to lack of lighting.
I laid out the trackwork 1:1 on the brown paper which I hung on the wall before I started to build the open framework. All the white patches on the brown paper are either proposed buildings or Fast Track templates.
Tim Warrus, if you're reading this, Thank you for making you're turnout templates available online.

I have a problem using track plan software so I drew my trackwork full scale on the paper on the walls. It worked out great, it helped me calculate angles and measurements for the open frame benchwork.
The framework is is supported from the walls except for the helix and the loop around the engine facility and yard. those areas have legs to the floor. I mused a laser level and built the benchwork 54 inches from the ground.

So here are the first pictures.
BTW-The stuff under the framework is some of my sons furniture which I had to work around.

The far left in the second picture I built a box frame from the floor up to the top of the framework. This was to support the swingout access to the wine cellar. Yes, I make my own wine so I need easy access to the room for maintenance and care of my wine during the early months of the wine making process.
The next picture is of the swingout access door.

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

cprfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  7:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CN6401
In this thread I hope to show you my journey into building a second HO layout.
My first was called the GMR Underground Railroad. I will explain the roots of my first layout and why it got its name and how my new layout got its new name.

Looking good Ralph, hope you don't mind me following along...

Alan

--

cprfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  7:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well guys, I was hoping to post some completed photos of the Underground Railway, but didn't realize until this morning that when my hard drive crashed & died last summer it took all my photos with it. I did however, find some of the build photos. The thrust of the UR was scenery.

Ouch !!, I wonder if that's why I keep all data on the computer backed up...

Lets see, mag articles, images, photo's, financial data, a lot of it 10 years old or more and irreplaceable, plus a system install what would take 5 some months to restore, losing all that data would be catastrophic for me...

Fortunately, I have a backup solution which works well...

Alan

--

cprfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  8:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The next picture is of the swingout access door.

Lately I've been working on the design and concept of a future layout, including two swing out access gates, each one carrying four decks, this one that you've built looks really nice. :-)

Alan

--

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  8:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Allen,
Absolutely and ask question too if you want.

It was 12 years of proto photos, data, my seminar presentations, Business data and specific notes that I've created regarding Weathering How To's, gone in a heart beat.
Needless to say it's now backed up in duplicate.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

Edited by - CN6401 on 09/04/2012 9:17:01 PM

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  8:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Allen, the gate has built in terminal block and power cut off when the latch is opened. It has a magnetic door switch used originally for building security but adapted to kill power to the track on the gate and 4" of track on either side of the gate when the gate is open.
The blocks of wood you can see on the left are for alignment. Even though I used a piano hinge there is still some droop when you open the door. The blocks are set on a sloping angle up from front to back. The top one is fastened to the gate and the bottom fastened to the benchwork.
In efforts to limit the weight it is built with 1/2" ply with a 5/8" ply deck and the hinge face is 1 1/2 x 8 pine since I needed something hefty to bed the 2" hinge screws.

I drilled a hole on either side of the Wine Cellar door frame to route wires for my track power bus and tortoise power bus. The wires thread thru the wall on the hinge side of the Wine Cellar door into the Wine Cellar and go up and over the frame and come back into the train room on the latch side of the door.

Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

Edited by - CN6401 on 09/20/2012 11:49:48 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  8:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking benchwork.

As you think, so will you be.

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: Temperature Requirements for Train Room Topic Next Topic: The MA&Gs Peoples Avenue Yard Project  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000