Railroad Line Forums - Vehicular Bridge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: ida ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Vehicular Bridge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Doan Engineering Topic Next Topic: Bike Shop by Anders
Page: of 4

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  6:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With my pier built (pretty much) – I need a small bridge to bridge (pun intended) the gap between the land and the pier. In fact .. finishing the pier depends in part on installing the vehicular bridge. I copied the design from Army TM 5-51B Carpenter – Chapter 10 – Nonstandard Fixed Bridge

Here's the ‘Semi-Final’ .. plan.Went through my box of strip wood etc. and .. have everything I need. That's amazing!! I assigned each size of wood to a different layer and had Sketchup 'show layers by color' .. was helpful I think in figuring what strip-wood I needed.

.. and here it is without all the psychedelic colors -

I had the tread as 2x10 lumber and will go with 2x12 .. and don't have any 4x4 stock .. but .. have some weird 3x5 stuff which will work fine for handrail posts and knee braces.

Edit: Just came to me that I need to double the stringers under the tread. Works ..

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  7:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely drawn plans, Ed.

Those Army TM's can be a nice source of information.

George

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  10:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Edward:

Found this link to some more manuals:
http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/5_Series_Collection_1.html

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  07:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railmus

Edward:

Found this link to some more manuals:
http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/5_Series_Collection_1.html

Excellent! I am going to link from my website to those. Noticed first off that FM 5-426 is the newer version of the TM that I used.

Ed

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  4:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe in the - "If you have it, use it" phrase .. so .. I decided to build a jig to assemble the bridge. One thing I had to get around is that my Proxxon mini-mill only has a X-direction table movement of just a bit over 5 inches .. so it's "adapt and overcome" ..

In the pic the brown represents the stringers .. the gray a mini-square and the white bits and pieces of Sintra®

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  4:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Sintra® mills readily with a Dremel router bit. One of the most important things here is a dial-indicator and magnetic holder to get exact movements.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  4:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are all the bits and pieces milled, sanded etc. ... ready to assemble into a jig .. hopefully.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  5:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
.. and assembling the jig The stringers are just sitting in the jig to help keep everything straight while the ACC sets up.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  1:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stained all the wood last night. That's a lot of strip-wood just for this little bridge. Can you imagine having that pile full scale?

Starting to put it together. I made two additional jigs to space the long deck boards. There will be 4 shorter boards between each of these but I will eyeball them.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  4:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fabulous stuff here Edward. Thanks for sharing...

Bob Farquhar

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  5:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another inspiring build. I like the psychedelic drawing.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  09:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  09:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did a little bit .. hoping to have time to finish the handrails today

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  11:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW... great tutorial and this is really coming together nicely!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  5:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Ed.

George

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  11:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With handrails done, I propped her in place .. more or less. I haven't finished the pier yet .. as I was wanting to get this bridge in place so I could see where the rest of the pilings etc. would go .. shrug. I make this stuff up as I go you know ..

Looks like I will only need two bents. On the far end can just be a cap sitting on a footing. Still need to weather etc. as it only has an initial graying

Pulled back a bit for this shot. Huh. Need to finish that fascia off .. plan is to curve it around that bit there. Way back there where I damaged the backdrop when I was arm-wrestling the layout into place .. prob where the Clever Model's Critter Shed will go.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Doan Engineering Topic Next Topic: Bike Shop by Anders  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000