Railroad Line Forums - Hoboken Shore Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Hoboken Shore Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Burrying track in pavement Topic Next Topic: Towering pines RR construction
Page: of 10

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:15:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce is the MacGyver of model RR'ing.
Bruce was telling me about it at the MER meet.
Thanks for the update and pictures Matt.

As you think, so will you be.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That vertical staging is impressive. I'm anxious to see the video.

George

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The staging yard idea got put on paper about ten years ago but I could not talk anyone else into doing it, I mean look at the space it saves! I still need to add some guide rollers and then the indexing and also a top limit switch just to make sure it stops before the ceiling starts to move!!!!! Thanks for all the comments, I was fun to do and the funny thing is it weighs almost 100 pounds when it is filled.

Bill, Thanks for the note on the bridge, It is one of the few that I have seen work, I have 52 hours in it with a lot of extra detail on it. The pipe behind the heater that is close is the drain for the AC coil so I will live with it for now.

The next thing to work on is the double leaf drop down that I need to close the loop for main line trains or testing stuff. Yes I said double leaf and I still have lots of motors and gears around so stay tuned.

vzjtothalo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  09:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Send vzjtothalo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just stumbled across this thanks to Matt's update.

Now I have TWO ADDITIONAL layouts to see if and when I get back to South Jersey for an extended visit.....

Looks great, Bro. Barrett! Best a'hve seeen in fawty yeahs...... about time you got your own layout, a nice reward for having helped a MULTITUDE of us in the South Jersey area....

John Loesch

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  6:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's looking good Bruce. Amazing progress despite the hired help,

Phil

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  6:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sjconrail

It's looking good Bruce. Amazing progress despite the hired help,

Phil

Ouch Phil!!!! Don't you have some bench work to re-re-re-re-build? Lol.

Is that enough or did I miss one more "re-"?

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  09:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcmatt

Ouch Phil!!!! Don't you have some bench work to re-re-re-re-build? Lol.

Is that enough or did I miss one more "re-"?

You missed once since I'm this close to going single level simple layout which would mean all new benchwork,

Phil

Riley
New Hire

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  09:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Riley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

The staging yard idea got put on paper about ten years ago but I could not talk anyone else into doing it, I mean look at the space it saves! I still need to add some guide rollers and then the indexing and also a top limit switch just to make sure it stops before the ceiling starts to move!!!!! Thanks for all the comments, I was fun to do and the funny thing is it weighs almost 100 pounds when it is filled.

You've got a great start on your layout, and I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

I'm looking at building a similar roll-on-roll-off vertical staging device - also in service on a Hoboken Shore layout! We've done some lift-up sections using windshield wiper motors that seem to work really well - they are amazingly strong and precise. Your motor seems a bit larger than that. What sort of motor are you using, and how are you going to handle the indexing?

Riley Triggs | Port of New York Railroad
http://ponyrr.blogspot.com | http://modelrailroaddesign.blogspot.com

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  1:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, It seams that the pic of the other end of the staging yard never made the thread, There is a row of micro switches that will turn on track power as the track lines up with the layout. There is also a row of pins that will work with a micro switch to stop the lift as the track lines up. As far as the motor goes Its out of a bench top robot. Its only about 1 1/2 inches in dia. and 4 inches long and is 12 volt. The cable drums are from garage doors.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  11:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, here's a thread that needs updating! I have to dig out the pictures I took of the yard, although I don't think I have and of the mechanism itself.

Mark

gp30emd2
New Hire

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  11:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Steam! Looking forward to operations!
gp.

George

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  11:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'Bout time for an update, isn't it, Rick?

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  11:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Bruce, Mark, Rick and the rest of the gang. I've just read through the entire thread! Amazing creativity for staging that will result in great operations. It's fun to read the kibitzing of the gang and it great to see the synergy of the work. I'm really looking forward to more updates whenever they take place!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  08:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

At an NMRA meet, yesterday, someone gave me a binder of old newsletters, etc. In the binder was a Northeaster Region convention flyer that had a theme of the Hoboken Shore. The first image looks similar to the map on page 1. But, I thought the photos were interesting, too.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  8:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double slips in a freight yard? I've never seen that before! Well Bruce, looks like we need to relay the yard.

Mark

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Burrying track in pavement Topic Next Topic: Towering pines RR construction  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000