Railroad Line Forums - Hoboken Shore Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Hoboken Shore Railroad
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Burrying track in pavement Topic Next Topic: Towering pines RR construction
Page: of 10

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  09:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Steam Nut Production....more to come!

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long an icon of model railroad engineering prowess, South Jersey's very own Steam Nut has finally made the momentous decision to build his own layout; not being the type to document and disseminate this historical and seismic shift in the universe, Mark F and I feel duty bound to share the trials, tribulations, and travails of Steam as he undertakes the task of modeling a small waterfront railroad in North Jersey.

The Hoboken Shore Railroad was a tiny terminal railroad situated on the Hudson River that serviced not only local industries, but was a key player in the future Seatrain operation of transloading entire freight cars onto specially built ships for movement to other East Coast ports as well as Cuba. Less than two miles in length, it saw an impressive amount of cross-river traffic as well as waterfront cargo operations.

Like all layout projects, the process begins with the most unappetizing element of room preparation; having had some necessary structural work done, followed by numerous conversations, comments, chop-busting, text messages, Internet searches,suggestions,head-scratching, painting, and sketching, Steam has developed a sectional style layout that will feature a unique "vertical staging" arrangement that takes advantage of the limited space available (not sure of his space dimensions....perhaps the owner could supply that info in a follow up post)

Having gotten the space in ready-to-go shape, we gathered at the future HBS site last evening to start the task of building.

First, the site needed surveying:

While the picture LOOKS impressive, the method chosen for marking the benchwork height around three walls was....how shall I word this..."unsatisfactory", which lead to Plan B: using a laser level. Here's Mark aiming the little red dot where directed; notice the thin bead of perspiration on his upper lip....surveying is backbreaking work:

And here's Steam transferring the little red dot's location onto the wall:

Steam also constructed a "storyboard" based on the basement height, layout height, and the future vertical staging area:

Ever the planner, Steam had pre-cut and pre-marked all the benchwork components so that even his low-skilled labor gang had no problems putting things together. An historic moment: the driving of the "Golden Drywall Screw" into the first benchwork session by Mark:

Unfortunately, Steam was preoccupied with getting things together and dodging well-aimed barbs, so he missed the moment

One side of the layout is conveniently situated on a "bump-out" for the upstairs dining; here's a shot of the assembled benchwork in place:

As often noted in my own thread, when it comes to basic carpentry, I have two left thumbs and eight more where they came from, as evidenced by this remarkable illustration of the classic "hit-n-miss" method of driving screws into a plywood edge:

For those keeping score, it's "Plywood 4, Harsco 0". At least I brought a little levity to the session.

Having make significant progress, the evening was concluded with Steam temporarily mounting what will later become a signature element to the HBS: a fully functional bascule bridge:

The HBS is off and running...standby for further developments!

Edited by - Harsco on 08/23/2012 10:30:51 AM

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be fun to watch the development of this new railroad. You guys obviously have a lot of fun together - a great crew!

Al Carter

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now this is big news.
Very exciting.
Looks like you're off to a good start.
Knowing how all of you are into ops, I'm guessing that this layout will be designed for use in an ops session?

Rick, I'm all thumbs when it comes to carpentry too.
Maybe it's a Rick thing.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  2:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news glad to se this venture up and going,, Way to go Bruce,

Cheers!, Joe

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  3:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Now this is big news.
Very exciting.
Looks like you're off to a good start.
Knowing how all of you are into ops, I'm guessing that this layout will be designed for use in an ops session?

Rick, I'm all thumbs when it comes to carpentry too.
Maybe it's a Rick thing.

I wholeheartedly concur, Rick...I keep checking CNN to see if the annoucement has made national news yet. As far as the "Rick" thing goes, I can't speak for you, but my woodworking skills are marginal at best, deplorable at worst...I'd like to think my talents lie elsewhere, and gosh darn it, am determined to find them someday!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  4:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is Steam going to model SIT? I have a couple of different, odd connections to SIT and HBS, or at least the abandoned cranes on the docks it used to serve.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  6:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great to see this thread come to life. Thanks Rick! We did ask Bruce last night if he was going to initiate this thread, to which he promptly reponded 'nope'!

See, Bruce undestands that Rick and I have endured several years of well deserved busting from Bruce. Lord knows we deserved it as he has always been there for us, tools in hand, to not only help out, but many times take charge and make sure the job got done, and done correctly. So now it's payback time. Bruce, now being the proud owner of the latest up and coming railroad, is now depending for whatever assistance we can provide to him. And since we are both indebted to him forever, we shall remain at his call! But along with the good comes the bad! Yes, it is also our turn to do the busting! And he knows it!

With that said, onto a more serious note. The Hoboken Shore will closely follow the prototype that Rick described above. It was a fascinating operation, and yes, it will be designed for operation, and a lot of it!

This will be a fun project and we look foward to sharing it with all of you. Hopefully Bruce will provide some input too! (hint, hint, hint)

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  6:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

It will be fun to watch the development of this new railroad. You guys obviously have a lot of fun together - a great crew!

Al Carter

We do Al! I have to say we are indeed fortunate to have such a close group of good friends in this area that share the hobby and help each other out. We have a lot of fun and get a lot accomplished at the same time.

Mark

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  7:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have some serious tools there. I'm sure this is going to be one fine layout.

Bryan

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  11:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

You have some serious tools there. I'm sure this is going to be one fine layout.

Bryan, those of us that know SteamNut would tell you that is the understatement of the year! In fact, when working in his garage, you NEVER ask 'do you have a ...', but rather 'where is your ...'. The man owns every tool!

Mark

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  03:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's always great to watch such projects from their very start. Interesting and funny things (I loved the "plywood-harsco" score, I was pleased to see I'm not the only one to lose this kind of game...). Have fun and please go on sharing.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  05:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great subject for a switching layout. Motive power could be fun, too. When the Hoboken Manufacturers Railroad was sold in 1946 and changed its name to the Hoboken Shore Railroad, an Alco high hood 660 went with the deal (number 601) it was used until 1949 when two GE 44 ton units came on the scene. Go back earlier and you can have some boxcab action.

I'll be following along.

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  10:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh great how did this get started, Since the other night the area to work in has been filled with bins and boxes to pack for the return to collage but after that look out as it will pick up as I now have space in my shop to get back to working on some stuff. And Bruce where did you come up with that box car!!!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  2:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dutchman, it would appear that you will become a valuable source of information.... and rolling stock! Nice car!

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  2:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

And Bruce where did you come up with that box car!!!

Bruce, many years ago Bev-Bel did a run with a couple of road numbers. I picked two up somewhere along the line. One is on my layout, the other is NIB with your name on it now. (Car #1073)

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Burrying track in pavement Topic Next Topic: Towering pines RR construction  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000