Railroad Line Forums - CHOCTAW LUMBER COMPANY
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 248 ]  [ Total: 250 ]  [ Newest Member: Junny ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 CHOCTAW LUMBER COMPANY
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New tariffs Topic Next Topic: Apache Wells II - My Verne Niner Tribute
Page: of 36

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  10:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starting to look as a nice layout room. And as a woodworker I never tried doin sheetrock ceilings alone

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Joe. When are you going to post your track plan? Best, mike

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  12:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe - cut the sheets in half....I know its more taping, but at least you wont
break your back or your neck.....just a thought. I used to do it all the time
when I worked alone.....Nice place , shaping up.....

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  12:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, you can rent a sheet rock jack/lift from Home Depot it will make your job so much easier to do by yourself.

Greg Shinnie

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  12:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfPgMaLupfI

Tom M.

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  3:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gee Tom

Boy does that look easy. I dropped a piece this morning, took me three trys to get it up.
I took off after that. Mike I will post the layout plan a little latter.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  3:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys
What do you use for track center to center measurements? I can figuar it out, but you guys have already done this.
Thanks

Joe Batson MMR#475

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  3:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do it the easy way...tke two longest cars, place on
CURVED....I did say CURVED track and adjust for clearance,
use that measurement for a gauge. I am sure there is a
"set" standard for clearance, but that allows for straight track
clearance.....

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  4:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some 0n30 trackgauges I downloaded somewhere in a PDF, cant remember where but I'll check my HD and see if I can profide them..

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  5:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on what you are modeling .... If it is branch line or worse then you need the two tracks separated to allow the width of the cars and locos. Most factory build cars are 2" wide or a little less but scratch built could be wider. Center to center I would go with 3".

Its like a loading dock. How close can I put it to the rail. Depends on the cars you are using.

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  5:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this:

" While there is no 'standard' for On30, the NMRA does have a standard for On3. Tangent track is 2 3/4" with a general suggestion to use 3". The issue with On30 is that sometimes the models are of 2" 'Maine' cars, which are 6' - 6' 6" wide, or On3 cars with are many times 8' - 9' wide and neede extra clearance. No matter what they are, on curves you will need to increase that clearance to maybe 4" track centers to keep from 'side-swiping'. Testing with some HO flex track would be a good start at developing your personal standards.

Jim Bernier "

Tom M.

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  7:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys
I had planned to use 3" but wasn't real sure. One of the Westside shays is nine feet wide
so the 3 inch will work fine for me. I'm 65 years old now and started model railroading
when I was 3 and one of the things I always looked for in the Model railroader magazine
was the track plan of the month. I have been drawing layouts since I was 9 or 10 years old
and some of them can be quite complex, and so it is with the track plan of the Choctaw Lumber Company.
The following drawings are about what I want in the track plan. The lower level which will be
an interchange with a standard gauge railroad, probally the Kansas City Southern, and a main line
climbing to the second level with a turn-table and a complete change of direction for the train about
half way up the grade to the 2nd level. The track plan has not been detailed for this level
yet but will include a small town of some kind.
The standard gauge will have a staging track that goes through the wall to the right into the
storage room and will be dual gauge.

As you can see there is a small lounge area to the top of the plan and most of this lounge
area will be under the second level. The second level will be around 60 inches from the floor
and the openings in the second level will allow some one to stand up, but will have to be carful not
to bump his head.

This second level of the track plan is where most of the operation takes place. to the right
I have shown a switch-back but this may change to an incline. Friscomike, on this forum
gave me the Double Drum Hoist kit made by Western Scale Models and it would make a
very nice hoist house for the incline. The third level is nothing more than a shelf on two
sides of the layout with very simple trackage on it as it will be around 75 inches high, +
or - a little.

I still have some refinning to do on the layout plan but I really like it so far. The main operation
of the logging railroad is take the empties to the loading area and pickup loaded log cars to
take back to the mill. I have a loads in, empties out inter change at the bottom side of the log pond.
This will be hidden by a hill in front of the tracks.

Joe Batson MMR#475

Edited by - JoebTX on 08/07/2012 10:38:33 PM

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy Joe,

You know how I love structures, but I bet this layout design will be more fun to operate than to fill up with structures. That said, the structures will make it even more fun to operate. For folks who don't know Joe, he is a hard corps operations oriented guy.

Joe, just think of all the industries you could have in HO... Are you sure you want to go to the really dark side?

Have fun,
mike

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
I couldn't quit now if I had to, I'm loving it to much. Are you sure you don't secretly want one too.

Joe Batson MMR#475

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  11:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe, great looking layout. I too have hung drywall solo. I made two T-braces out of 2x2 and a plywood gusset to help support the board on the ceiling. At looking at your photos, all I say is WELL DONE.

Cheers, Heath.

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: New tariffs Topic Next Topic: Apache Wells II - My Verne Niner Tribute  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000