Railroad Line Forums - Backwoods Miniatures Wood Bodied Vertical Boiler
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Backwoods Miniatures Wood Bodied Vertical Boiler
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Southwest Desert Scenery Topic Next Topic: The sorry tale of a LHS
Page: of 2

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  3:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well work has commenced on the loco I bought on Saturday.

Already hit one problem - in Pete's instructions, he shows a straightforward dcc cct board on to of the motor housing.
Not on mine - mine has a CD board with a plug-in decoder so at least two parts won't fit.
In his instructions, Pete says to file down the angled corners on the rear of the cct board - a quick inspection shows this will also mean filing down the shoulder of the +ve feed to the headlight see roughly circled areas....

I'm hoping the davenport I'm getting from BigLars will be the type Pete shows in his instructions.
So I can only do some more minor work on this kit..............watch this space!
Cheers
David(UK)

Download Attachment: Backwoods-Miniatures-new-kit1.jpg
60.08 KB

Download Attachment: Backwoods-Miniatures-new-kit2.jpg
84.29 KB

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  4:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My faux pas - the cct board in Pete's instructions is the basic DC version.
Mines the DCC fitted board which looks quite different.
I'll have to have the board off tomorrow to see if I can do the necessary filing without damaging any circuitry.
Cheers
David(UK)

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  5:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Butler

My faux pas - the cct board in Pete's instructions is the basic DC version.
Mines the DCC fitted board which looks quite different.
I'll have to have the board off tomorrow to see if I can do the necessary filing without damaging any circuitry.
Cheers
David(UK)

David if you can wait till I get back from LA I can help out with pictures. I even have a davenport that I removed the bachmann board from and hard wired a RCA m1 decoder to it saved a ton of space inside my critter

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  03:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Sure I can wait.
Still want your swapmeet Davenport, as mine was only meant as a stopgap donor chassis until yours arrived just so I could get modelling!!
Cheers
David(UK)

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  03:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you not remove the Bachmann circuit board and hard wire in the decoder? That would save heaps of space!

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  04:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
indeed david, just remove the board and fit an aftermarket chip, i found on one of mine that this left lots of room with a small chip, and easy to fit, two wires come up through the frame, and then just the two to the motor. (and IMHO they run a little better with new chips anyway)

and looks like you are off to a flying start on the build too!

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  11:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil & Andy,
After mucking about for two hours trying to get the boiler to be a vertical type instead of a leaning tower of pisa and the water tank top to sit where it's supposed sit and not where it thinks it's gonna sit, I have come to the conclusion, removing the cct board is the only way to go.
The drawback was the wires coming off the decoder plug - I just couldn't get them to sit low enough.
All that mucking about caused the disintegration of the forward part of the body ( the front wall has only a thin edge to secure it to the side walls ( then again,could be c%^& Superglue! )
I've now rebuilt it and started work on the boiler plumbing, but have given up for today whilst I ponder on which decoder wires go to the pick up leads and motor.
Now a plea, does anybody have a spare Bachmann Oil/Carbon lamp complete with LED they could let me have?
Whilst I've got the decoder out seems a good time to give this critter some means of seeing its way forward.
Cheers the noo
David(UK)

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  10:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Owing to our trip down to Wales tomorrow ( look on the Lounge notice board! ) modelling ceases whilst I look over the car and check it's various go/stop/cool it levels.
However, here is currently where I'm at.....
Decoder has been removed and the boiler and upper works installed - bell was pinched off the Davenport and whistle was one from the scrap box.
Pete supplied a resin one and placed it directly on to the boiler - you couldn't see it with the roof on, hence the outside location.

I'm still not happy with the water tank top, theoretically it should sit inside the body. I've trimmed its length as far as possible without losing detail, bit it still overhangs the front wall. Also notice how thin it is and the warp that appeared after spraying it with primer.

Another thing I'm not too happy about is the stack top, this is supposed to fit inside the boiler's stack tube, but it ain't a tight fit and wobbles all over the place. Needs a thin styrene wrapper to make it a tight fit. It can't be glued if you want to take the roof off to see the interior.
Still to fit is the cylinder rods and what I presume is a Johnson bar, brake wheel,front coupler and an old time headlamp when I can locate one. All mine are too modern.
Cheers
David(UK)

Download Attachment: Backwoods-Miniatures-new-kit3.jpg
77.88 KB

Download Attachment: Backwoods-Miniatures-new-kit4.jpg
85.12 KB

Edited by - David Butler on 06/14/2012 10:59:57 AM

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  5:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice build on a neat critter. I have one on order. Can't wait to see the input here on installing sound

Bryan

Dodgezilla04
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  5:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great. How does it run? Cause the quartering appears to be off in the pic

Chris.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  05:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David - Good going....
On the "wobbly stack" issue:
Is there a way that you could line up the top
part of the stack that fits in the boiler, and
then glue the top part to the roof, and not the boiler?
That way, the roof would remain removable...just an idea....
I like the colors....

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  7:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,
Neat little engine. I found a headlight for you and will send it with the Davenport.
Can you take any pictures of the inside?
Larry

My current build:

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  3:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more pictures of the build.......

Interior with decoder removed

Interior with Boiler, cylinders and other bits added - I removed the rear shelf.
As Pete included a Metal Bunker for the rear end, I may well replace the wooden rear as it does tend to hide the interior - see next set of photos

Virtually complete now

Note how the lower half of the stack pokes up through the roof. Their is a small piece of corrugated styrene supplied with which I can hide the enlarged hole to cover up a manufacturer's mistake.
I've also removed the Water tank top and will make a new one that will be of a thicker styrene and cut so it fits inside the cab. Just hope the Micro Mark rivet decals arrive soon.
Larry has found me an Oil lamp that will fit - all that then remains is to fit the hand winch provided and some wood for the boiler and a suitable engineer.
I'm hard-wiring in the Bachmann decoder as I don't think there's enough room to fit a sound decoder and speaker ( not that I can afford one, anyway )
Cheers
David(UK)

Download Attachment: Int2.jpg
67.05 KB

Download Attachment: Int1.jpg
76.43 KB

Download Attachment: Ext1.jpg
75.75 KB

Download Attachment: Ext2.jpg
89.24 KB

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  6:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh David you just missed a 25% off sale on decoders at Micro Mark I picked up some for $30.00.

Your package is ready to go and I have no meetings tomorrow at lunch so it should be on it's way.

Thanks for the extra pictures it is a really neat build and I would like to build one one one day without the walls.

Larry

My current build:

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  2:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All it wants is a headlamp!

Went with the metal bunker as it gave more room for an engineer. The instructions said to use 7mm brass rod for the rear uprights - I thought it looked a bit flimsy so I used 8mm dia brass tubing
Made up a new water tank top - will add rivet decals once they arrive from the States.
Currently running as straight DC powered until Larry's headlamp arrives.

For now I've left off some of the accessories that came with the kit ( 2 saws, two pullies, 2 winch, 1 oil can, 1 re-railing pole and a broom!)

So, there you - another loco to add the stockpile.
Cheers
David(UK)

Download Attachment: WBVBLoco1.jpg
72.51 KB

Download Attachment: WBVBLoco2.jpg
76.52 KB

Download Attachment: WBVBLoco3.jpg
50.31 KB

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  7:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,
Love the criter! Your package is swimming across the pond now.

My current build:

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Southwest Desert Scenery Topic Next Topic: The sorry tale of a LHS  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000