Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build
Page: of 106

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  5:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems to me you need to have a discussion with Shapeways on how they handle the brass. It might be you can get brass without their post-processing.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  03:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, you have got a good point there. I got to think about it a bit. Brass is $100 more each! I got to decided how much I want that extra Weight.

The mail man was kind to me today and I got more goodies from Shapeways. Here is the pilot truck, deck on the brass frame. as you can see they align up nicely. On the left you can see how nicely the deck print fits on the Precision Scale Models pilot.(yes the casting is bad, I have to replace it).

Here is the deck and PSM casting on the FUD prototype frame. I did check the clearance on a piece of track;

Here's where I'm at on the boiler;

I need to add holes for the various details and the rivet. I already uploaded an earlier version to Shapeways so that I can check the sizing.

Enjoy guys
Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  11:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

It seems to me that the bands should make it obvious the boiler should not be smoothed by shapeways the way they did. On the other hand they might make what smoothing needing to be done very difficult.

Your new parts look very nice.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  11:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you're designing looks great. What Shapeways produced for you (brass boiler) isn't what you designed. IMHO, there (Shapeways) is the breakdown in the process.

I admire your perseverance and tenacity. I would have long ago fizzled-out in view of the work load and sheer "piddle time" required by this project, as well as the financial outlay.

A tip of the hat to you, sir.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/11/2019 11:09:02 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  2:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Thank you for your perspective. I think you're right. The bands would of stopped the aggressive polishing but I don't think I would of liked the end product. The surface would of been too ruff. Which means I probably be printing the boiler in Brass again.

Andre,
Thank you for the compliments. I do appreciate them. As I wrote to Mike, on reflection Shapeways' processing will result in a better model. It forced me to improve my design, which lead to learning a new Software program, which is proving fruitful. I enjoy the "piddle time" at the work bench but the cost is taxing. Maybe I should set up a go-fund-me site (This is a Joke). The cost is also a motivator though. After spending so much (time and money)I don't want to stop now. Especially now that I'm so close to the finish.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 03/11/2019 2:09:21 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  4:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The deck and truck look splendid Bob! I know what you mean by the polishing. I printed a tender deck which look liked they had taken a dremel to parts of it. It was well done though.
When I saw the bands on the boiler and the thoughts on polishing maybe the bands need to be exaggerated somewhat to make them looking good after polishing. The 3D model looks great though.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  7:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Håkan, Rivets sure have to be Exaggerated. But I have found that things show up a lot better in the
brass print. They are there in the FUD, but harder to see. The sizing check print that I ordered a few days ago of the above boiler has bands as seen above and others exaggerated to see what works. One of the advantages of fusion 360 is that the program keeps a "timeline of your drawing so that if you have to make changes you don't have to start over. You can call up the original 2D drawing and change the dimensions or add something and it will apply the change through the timeline and the finished drawing. With the improved printing that Shapeways now provides I found that I can print screw blanks so that I can make Pin screens for the 3mm axle Ex-Balboa (Greenways)Drivers. I also can now with a few minor changes print my Harp Switch Arms in Brass.

It's a fun time to be alive,

Bob

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  09:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, you certainly have come a long way. Looking great.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  1:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frank. I really appreciate the support.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  9:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work does continue. The fitting and fiddling the pieces together. Important but not too interesting or photogenic. I thought I would share the different way I handle the cylinders. I was able to Percussion Scale Models casting for the Wabash Mogul for my Mogul. Now I'm sure you all know that on single axle lead trucks you have to be careful with the spacing so the pilot wheel doesn't come into contact with the front of the cylinders because if the wheel touches the cylinder on the fireman's side a short will result. To insure this doesn't not happen I bought two Brass casting and one plastic version. Here how I assemble them;

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  9:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You sly devil, you!

Andre

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  11:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Moving right along.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  11:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Smart: thinking ahead.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  8:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,
I need some brutal honesty here. I got the test print of the new Boiler drawn in Fusion 360. What looks good and what doesn't?

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2019 :  11:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's today's work.

I just have to locate the locations for the handrail sanctions. I also had to reworkd my artwork for the Pilot truck as Shapeways said
i needed more support to the model.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 106 Previous Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000