Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build
Page: of 106

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2019 :  7:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andre.

Frank, that was funny.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  9:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the pilot truck;

Despite the usual learning curve snafus Fusion 360 has increased my productivity.

Enjoy guys
Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  12:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good. I’m impressed by the detail and complex curves.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  09:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, when you draw the parts do you start in 2-dimension and then convert to 3-D?

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/22/2019 09:45:26 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  2:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, Those complex curves are a lot easier with Fusion 360.
Frank, Yes and No. Each drawing starts a basic shape. A circle, square which is drawn in 2D and then extruded into 3d. But you don't do a whole drawing in 2d and then turn it into 3d. If you have a 2d drawing or even a photograph you can import it and use as a "canvas" and trace over to make the drawing. I was able to do that with the front of the pilot truck. I used a Large scale drawing I have from "American Locomotive Engineering and Railway Mechanism" of a Baldwin mogul truck. The design was simplified into a printable characterization which I then scaled and adjusted to the right size and then added the non-prototypical handles to make it functional on the model.

It's really that easy

Bob

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  6:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds great. I do AutoCAD 2-D and have never tried 3-D.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  7:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In some ways AutoCad is harder to learn. Watch a few Youtube videos. Sketchup is fine as long as you're working with lines, rectangles and SIMPLE circles. It does take time. A lot of it and NO instant gratification.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  11:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Is Fusion 360 cloud based? It means you need to be connected to the internet to be able to use, correct?

Bernd

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  3:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,
Kinda, The drawing functions are computer base, The memory functions are on the cloud. If you're off line you can draw and make designs and store them on your computer and when you're on line again the program will upload to the cloud. I think.

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  09:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  01:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Todays (and tonights) drawing;

This one was hard even in Fusion 360 but it built my confidence in the software.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  2:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Todays (and tonights) drawing

It looks like a solid week’s worth of effort to me.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  4:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike,
I was worth it though.
Here's the Brass Crossheads;

Bob

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  04:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very good Bob! I’m amazed how well it works with Shapeways brass material.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  4:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
Thank you. For the most part they do. Your comment lends itself well to what I want to talk about here next.
My Boiler has me all heated up. I counted 66 boiler drawing on my computer. While I could draw a boiler getting results that could be printed was another story. It was very frustrating to have a nice drawing detailed with boiler straps and holes for domes and other details and not to be able to pint it. So after 66 drawing I had a simple boiler that was printable. I planed to add details to it after printing using traditional methods. This is how the Boiler looked in FUD;

Notice how ruff the surface is? When I had Shapeways print this in bass I believe the brass print had these imperfections too. Now let us remember that most of Shapeways metal business is making Jewelry so they got the finishing tools out and smoothed everything up for me. This was the results;

Now you who are actually reading this, I'm sure that you noticed the nice sharp joint between boiler sections are gone. Replaced by rounded joints. Additionally they came out way too small. These prints are $100 each so I was a bit frustrated and yes, about this result. So how to fix this? I could not laid out Boiler bands that looked good or get over the lost of bulk. I knew that most of the problem resulted from the way Sketchup handle curves. As you know I went 3D program shopping. I used Youtube Videos to see which of the free ones seemed to handle curved surface the best. I liked what I was seeing in the Fusion 360 Videos and then I learned that it was free for Hobbyist.
This was my third boiler drawing in Fusion 360;

This print is in UN-FUD or is it the New FUD, it is is Shapeways' Fine detail Plastic. But, notice it's surface. It Looks a lot better, really good in fact. I attribute that wholly to the Fusion 360 software. The drawing needed no repairs to print. Now what I have intended here was to make a wrap to go over the brass boilers. So this print is Shapeways' minimum thicknes for this material, .01mm or about .015". To help printing I add a center support as seen here;

So I cut this support out and sanded own the remnants of the spurs and tried to slid it on one of the boiler (the one it was sized for as the two boilers are a little different in size) but instead of stretching for a tight fit, it broke apart .

Soooo I need to make a whole new boiler. That will be a lot easier with Fusion 360. But Now the question is; Do I try brass again, or print in the UN-FUD and add weight?

You guys feel free to be opinionated.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 106 Previous Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000