Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build
Page: of 106

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2019 :  07:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Bob. Slight critique on the running board. It looks a little thick. Looks like it's about .020" or thicker. Would .010" work or is it to thin? Other than that "A-OK".

Bernd

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/10/2019 :  09:39:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great, Bob!

Running boards: Simply file a bevel on the underside of the edges. Once painted, it will appear much thinner for its thickness will be disguised. Doing this, the strength remains but the visual will make it look thinner in profile. I've used this trick with styrene and it works great.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  2:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, Andre, Thanks for the comments. I'll have to think about the running boards. I think they are 0.030". I'll have to check/ .010 would too thin for strength. Then there are casting issues too.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  8:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One step back for one big one forward. In the tapered section of the top boiler you can see the flaw I couldn't live with. The bottom boiler is the new one and sadly a bit out of focus.I'll try and get a better shot latter.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  9:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Small modification, big improvement.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  9:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Mike, Here's a little better picture;

this final boiler needs a little sanding.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2019 :  08:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice.

It’s coming together well.

Mike

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2019 :  12:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Much better, Bob. I couldn't have lived with that flaw, either.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/24/2019 :  6:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Nice indeed! Looking forward to seeing it together and for sure for you to see how it runs.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2019 :  6:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, Mike and Andre,
Thank you. I appreciate your support.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  3:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I really need to start part Due here but I keep thinking one more entry and so here is one more.
My Moguls need 26" spoke wheels for the pilot truck. Precision Scale has them in their catalog but you know how that goes. I was able to track a pair down in 3' gauge. Just get some Standard gauge axles and swap them out right? Precision Scale uses 2.2mm axles. I was able to get 2.3mm from NWSL. Here's a picture;

the top Axle is how they came. below it, the little ends cut off and one side tapered down to accepts the wheel. The other side was tapered too and the wheels pressed on the axle until they were in gauge.
Here they are on the model;

Not exactly precision engineering but it worked.

Bob

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  5:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That came out well! The boiler looks very good too!

Håkan

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  5:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Just went back over your posts on making the brass frame and how you checked everything for fit and to make sure the axle slots/holes were square. I should have something on how square the frame is on that 2-8-0/2-8-2 printed frame by next week.

I came across your trip to the Nevada County Narrow Gauge post and their "sooty" looking cat. His name is, now get this, "Dirt".

Bernd

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  6:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Håkan, I'm getting close.

Bernd, I hope you enjoyed your visit here. I think my experiment with the USRA frame vindicated the methods I used here on my Mogul's frame. I really enjoyed my visit to the Nevada Northern and meeting Dirt. He getting quite a presence on Facebook you know. I told them I would buy his T-shirt.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  6:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Say Bob...

Any progress to report?

It's fun to follow along as you build.

Just wonderin'.

Andre

Page: of 106 Previous Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000