Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build
Page: of 106

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  3:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I'd be tempted to write off all the 3D printed rivets and just go with Archer decals. That's so I could sand down the surface if necessary.

dave

I agree, The Archer (and Micro Mart) decals are better than trying to print 3d rivets in the vast majority of situations were the rivet is painted. On this boiler they are not but reflect light brightly.

Thank you for the support

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  3:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see your point! (or I would, if you could get the rivets to print correctly :-) :-) )

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2019 :  2:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+*9-
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I see your point! (or I would, if you could get the rivets to print correctly :-) :-) )

dave

Dave, On checking their WEB page I see that Archer has a new product design for 1/72 Aircraft modelers. the Rivets appear to be clear resin, the rivet head are the same size as I was printing and the spacing would work. So maybe you will see Rivets.

Bob

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  01:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good approach.
Need the rivets to be clear? My thought is to apply them before painting

Keep up the good work!
Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  01:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Keep up the good work!
Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  12:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Keep up the good work!
Håkan

Håkan, That's a good thought. No I don't need them to be clear just not black. But it should be alright if I paint them Russia Iron first and then something to shine up the top surfaces of the rivets.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  8:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was a rather productive day at the work bench. First yesterday UPS delivered my final boilers, I primed one gray, taped it and test fitted it. It was perfect;

I then started working on the Mechanism again.
The side rods were striking the back of the crossheads so I redesigned the side rods thinner.
In this shot the new ones are one the left;

The new drive rods had to be fitted, that took a couple of hours but there are no binds in motion. That accomplished I moved onto the Main drive rods and the cross heads.
This is where I sweat bullets. Tapping for a 1 mm screw.

Sorry the picture was a bite fuzzy.
But it all worked out;

There's still work to be done here but when the wheels go around and around the crosshead slides back and forth just like it should.

Oh I almost forgot. I had the boilers printed in Shapeways finest material. Here's a close-up;

And, I'm not missing the Rivets

Bob, who's going to see "End Game" tonight.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  10:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Your newest boiler is a winner. Good decision on the rivets. The only ones needed are those keeping our attention riveted to your thread.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  02:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike,
I appreciate it. I see I forgot a picture

Bob

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  3:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Just catching up on your build here. I like what I'm seeing. As you know I've been a bit busy on the other forum with the etch thread. BTW, I want to thank you for backing me. Much appreciated.

I'm working on seeing if I can cut out a frame from for a 2-8-2 on the Sherline CNC mill. The frame is from the article Gordon Odegard wrote on scratch building a USRA Mikado starting in the October 1982 MR.

Bernd

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  3:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Bob,

Just catching up on your build here. I like what I'm seeing. As you know I've been a bit busy on the other forum with the etch thread. BTW, I want to thank you for backing me. Much appreciated.

I'm working on seeing if I can cut out a frame from for a 2-8-2 on the Sherline CNC mill. The frame is from the article Gordon Odegard wrote on scratch building a USRA Mikado starting in the October 1982 MR.

Bernd

Thank you, Bernd. I appreciate your support. I guess neither of us are making friends over there. think you'll do a fine job on the Mikado. You have the skills. Yes, I would 3d print it. And if THEY would of just asked I would of converted MR plans to a 3d drawing so that anybody who wanted could print it out. But no one asked did they.

I want to see your Mikado.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  5:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Thank you, Bernd. I appreciate your support. I guess neither of us are making friends over there. think you'll do a fine job on the Mikado. You have the skills. Yes, I would 3d print it. And if THEY would of just asked I would of converted MR plans to a 3d drawing so that anybody who wanted could print it out. But no one asked did they.

I want to see your Mikado.

Bob

You're welcome Bob. Always like to support like minded modelers. I don't care about making friends on that forum, especially from the ones that always show up to make comments on things they don't even seem to be interested in. I'm going to keep plugging away at it. I was surprised Joe used my pictures in the magazine. Was a bit surprised.

Thanks for the compliment on the skills. Took a while to acquired those. Check the PM I sent you. I've got a couple of other Mikado projects mixed in with the frame project.

Bernd

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  4:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The crossheads looks great!

I see what you mean that they can fall off. A small lip should take care of that on the production ones. On the ones you already have a thin brass plate soldered on should stop them from falling off.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  4:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

The crossheads looks great!

I see what you mean that they can fall off. A small lip should take care of that on the production ones. On the ones you already have a thin brass plate soldered on should stop them from falling off.

Håkan

Thanks Håkan,
There's not enough Clearance between the crosshead and siderods for a slim plate. I have thinned the crosshead to make room and ordered a reprint.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2019 :  12:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I was sanding and cleaning up what I hoped would be the finals at last, I found a couple of flaws. One of which I couldn't live with. I was able to fix them, thanks again to the power of Fusion 360. So before I take off on a weekend of train chasing I dressed up the boiler to see how she would look.

Kinda looking like an engine.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 106 Previous Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000