Railroad Line Forums - Garden State Division Summer Meet at the Zinc Mine
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 215 ]  [ Total: 216 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 Rail Events
 Event: Garden State Division Summer Meet at the Zinc Mine
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Reminder: FingerLakes Live Steamer open house Topic Next Topic: Rocky Op 2012  Sept 7-9
Page: of 2

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  11:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Previous Month   August 2012   Next Month
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Garden State Division Summer Meet at the Zinc Mine
The summer meet of the Garden State Division, NER, NMRA will be held on the grounds of the Stirling Hill Zinc Mine. A two-hour tour of the mine and the mining museum, just for our attendees, will be followed by a lunch on site and an afternoon of layout tours.

All the information can be found at this link: http://www.nergsd.com/Data/SummerMeet12.pdf

The only cost will be for the mine tour ($9 adult, $8 senior citizen). Lunch will be provided by the GSD.

Visitors from surrounding Divisions or from the Forum are welcome. So we know how many to expect so that enough tour guides can be arranged, please send me a PM or e-mail by August 1, 2012.
Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  06:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought that I would bump this up. The meet is this Saturday, and we are looking for a great turnout. The mine tour and museum is very interesting and the layout tour in the afternoon includes a variety of themes and scales.

Visitors are welcome, just shoot me a PM so that I can include you in the count.

Bruce

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  2:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce,, From all reports this was a very succesful trip, Lots of gratitude goes to you in pulling this together, well done.

Cheers!, Joe

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  3:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PIctures?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  4:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Joe. Yes, we had a great turnout (about 53-55), the weather was terrific, and both the mine tour and the layout tour was well-received.

Rick, Chuck was the 'official' picture taker, so I'll see if he can post some here.

In addition to HO scale layouts, one featured both HOn3 and HO, and then there was the garden layout. The owner of that garden layout (Jim De Young - no relation) had some friends bring along some scratch built G-Scale structures, rolling stock and motive power that was pretty impressive, and some nicely weathered rolling stock as well.

I know, pictures, pictures!

Bruce

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  5:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pictures are coming, I promise! I took about 150 of them. I took off on vacation with Marcia for a week, so when I get back, I will post some of them.

The tour and the layouts were terrific. Bruce did a great job organizing it.

I enjoyed all of the layouts but the one I probably enjoyed the most was the G scale layout. Not knowing what to expect, I was impressed with the models and the garden layout. But, I also enjoyed the other 4 layouts.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  11:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am finally getting a chance to post some photos. First of all, here is a shot of some RR-L members that were at the GSD meet. There were others at the meet, but this group ran into each other at Tony Koester's house during the layout tours.

Left to right is me, Jim Homoki (who is on this forum but I forget his call name, here. Jim is also president of the Penn Central Historical Society), Dave Hunt (Thorn Creek & Western), Jeff (Snarlman), Bill Howard (Diamond Bill), and Bruce De Young (Dutchman).

I'll post more photos, breaking them into each topic.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  1:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, let's start with the tour of the zinc mine. If I had know this place existed prior to my building the hoist house a few years ago, I would have done a lot of research here. There is so much mining equipment scattered all over the property. Not all of the equipment is from this mine, either.

Here is an overall shot of part of the mine that remains at the surface. It is a conveyor leading from the processing area to the bins, where railroad cars are loaded:

A single drum hoist:

A double drum hoist:

Ore cars:

Loaders:

An electric locomotive:

A fireless, steam-powered mining locomotive:

Sheaves for the headframe:

And, here are the remains of one shaft, which has been filled in.

There were also many pieces of art. Here is one example of two miners using an air powered drill. Take a close look at the guy on the right.

Now, here is our tour guide, Richard. He is also one of the owners of the mine. He used to work at the mine before it closed in 1985. And, when it went up for auction, a couple men got together, bid on the mine, and won. And, if he looks familiar, it is because he is the one depicted on the right in the statue, above. The building this was taken in was where the miners changed and cleaned up. The baskets held clothes and objects that needed to dry. The baskets were attached to a chain and the other end of the chain led to a locker for each miner.

Inside the mine, here is a lift for miners.

Here is an example of some of the minerals found in the mine, seen with a black light.

We start the layout tours with the next post...

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  1:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Next up is the Berkshire, Dover & West Milford HO club layout. This club is housed in a cabin at the Jefferson Summer Day Camp. Definitley an unusual place to be. But, the members are having a good time. According to Bruce, they recently converted to DCC. I only took a few photos of the club.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  1:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The layout tour I enjoyted the most was the G scale garden layout by Jim De Young. Jim had invited his G scale friends to bring models for display. The layout was beautiful and all of the models on display were exquisite. I found it amazing to use hex screws with a purpose to hold pieces together and are left visible as a detail. You will see that with the model that is still in progress.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Bonnie, and I next visited Rich Ross's HO scale layout. His layout is Erie Lackawanna themed. I didn't take photos of his layout, only because I had visited it a year or two earlier. I featured it in our division's newsletter, here:
http://www.nergsd.com/Data/WP118.pdf

Rich is a really nice person and it was good to talk to him, again.

Next up is Ted Pamperin's HO scale C&O layout.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  2:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting these, Chuck. Please keep them coming!

Bruce

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  2:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, thanks for all the pictures.

Does that garden layout wrap all the way around the house?

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  2:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted Pamperin's HO scale C&O/Mann's Creek layout is really well done. Ted took the time to talk about his vision for the layout and also how he was building it. He also has quite a collection of C&O steam locos on the layout. His scenery is really well done. I was especially taken by his view block that ran through the middle of the penninsula for his layout.

The last stop is Tony Koester's HO scale Nickel Plate Road.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  2:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick,

No, the garden layout was mainly in the front lawn. The pictures with the "lady bug" self-propelled car was on a separate layout that butted up to the main layout and was located at the side of the house.

The pond on the layout had a few koi swimming around, too.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  3:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, this is the last scheduled stop on the tour...Tony K's Nickel Plate Road!

And, that was the end of the line!

Chuck

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Reminder: FingerLakes Live Steamer open house Topic Next Topic: Rocky Op 2012  Sept 7-9  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000