Railroad Line Forums - How to post pictures on the forum
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 63 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 How to post pictures on the forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Early Aug 17 The Loading Dock Topic Next Topic: TheGallery:LateJuly17One Last Drive in a Jordan
Page: of 3

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  7:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I got your picture and I was able to post it with no problems.

It's a little big, but still posted just fine.
Did you try the link I posted?

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  6:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the error message I get when trying to upload files to a post;
Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'

Operation not Allowed

/forum/outputFile.asp, line 13

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  7:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael, searching for that error message indicates that the photo file is too large. On Windows, I've been using 'Irfanview' to resize pictures. Usually, setting the dimensions to 800 x 600 pixels and the JPEG quality to 75% or 80% will get them below RR-Line's limit of about 180 kilobytes.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  12:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That error code also indicates that there is an unacceptable character in the title. A . period, a comm, or some other symbol...? The forum will take large photos, but the title line input must be within the specifications...I learned this by spending an entire evening, several times. Trying to post pixs on the forum....The least amount of letters,
numbers you use the better...Keep it very short. Try A1, B2, C3 etc. You don't need lengthy titles to post the photo..

ted :<)

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  12:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I even tried to upload my avatar, so the picture size isn't too big.
The name was 333.jpg...
Strange.

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  12:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember spending a frustrating half hour or so trying to figure out why a photo I uploaded would not appear; it turned out I had used a special character in the file name, I think it was "&" as in B&O. Now I keep file names simple.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Graffen

I even tried to upload my avatar, so the picture size isn't too big.
The name was 333.jpg...
Strange.

Michael, avatar pictures have even greater restrictions on size (96 x 96 pixels)

If you e-mail me the original picture that gave you trouble (not the avatar picture), I can see if I can discover the problem.

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  7:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been following the On30 line since 2012 and still don't understand how this photo posting is done ; but then I don't know ANYTHING about computers,I'm 62, and have never had a job that required me to use one. So, I just sit back, read all the how to's ,and wonder what are they talking about? I don't understand the 'LINGO', so the instructions are meaningless. If anybody lives near Arlington,Texas, and wouldn't mind showing me, I think I have some decent pictures. But if not that's OK, cause I still really enjoy seeing ya'll's photos. Have a great Labor Day, Kyle Creel, Arlington TX.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  06:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been using XnView for Windows quite successfully lately. A friend talked me though it on the phone not too long ago.

I right click on the photo I want to re-size from my computer, and click the "open with XnView" program. It will show the picture as a whole, unlike in Paint, where it shows it full size. I crop out the area I want to save as a smaller picture (or leave it as is) then go to re-size it. As my pictures start out in the 3.5mb range, it obviously would not fit here.

When you have XnView up with the picture, crop the scene you want to post, mine does that automatically, I just drag my mouse over the picture and it crops it (I just right click on it and hit "crop")

Now go to "Resize"

When the little resize box opens up, click Custom at the top, (notice the pixels is at 72 in the box below)

then a suitable size you want the picture, in my case, it was 1204 x 768

Your image may change size, or may not. Mine didn't, but the numbers were right.

If you want to crop, do that first for the best result, then re-size. You don't have to pick the same size I did, try one above (800 x 600) or below (1280 x 1024). Sometimes these will work too, they will come out larger or smaller.

If the picture is too large, when you go to download it here, it will tell you. Then I just go back and resize again to the next lower number.

Here is the one size smaller

This one is the one I mentioned above

This one is one size bigger.

Not sure this will help or not, but it has revolutionized the way I post pictures.

One note, when you copy the file path after uploading

Make sure there is no space after the name after you highlight it.

When you highlight it and copy, it should look like this (with no space):

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Edited by - Nelson458 on 09/05/2016 06:08:07 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  07:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Tony...I also use XnView- have for 3 years, and never been disappointed.

An excellent program.

A bonus separating this forum from some others is that posted pictures display inside the poster's thread, without additional steps(clicks) by the viewer/reader.

IMO, clicking on small thumbnails to enlarge photos is a pain.

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  09:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx for the information. Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't know anything about programs, or anything else. I can't even get pictures from my camera to my computer. When my friend at work gave me this computer he said it had windows 10 (whatever that is). My old one had windows xp; which I guess was not good. So when the thing died he gave me this one. But with the old one all I had to do was plug this little cord into the computer from my camera and something called the wizard came on the screen and did everything else. I think ya'll are presuming I know more than I do. I've had NO training of any kind, nor have I had to keep up with this stuff. Fellas, I use a Flip Phone, have never sent a text, do not 'do' social media in any form, nor do I plan to. I just enjoy looking at pictures of the things ya'll have done, and wished from time to time I was able to bring something for 'SHOW and TELL'. By the way what's an xnview? Anyway, since high school (1972) I've only ever REALLY LEARNED to do things I was interested in, or required for a paycheck. Other than that, I watch football, mow the yard, and play with my trains. So I guess I'll just keep on keepin' on. Have a nice Labor Day. Kyle

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  1:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kyle,
I also have just a flip phone, so we both have something in common, at least. XnView is a programme that can easily re-size and change photos. Very easy. Here is the web site to download it.
http://www.xnview.com/en/

As for putting pictures on the computer from the camera, what I do is first open "pictures" the folder that you keep pictures in. Then I right click on the folder and click "open in NEW WINDOW", which will give you 2 open folders. In one of them, create a new folder (by clicking "new folder" and name it what you want, "model pics" if you want). When you plug in your camera to the computer as you did before, go to the other PICTURES window you opened, and a file will open up on the left column showing your camera. Click on it to open it, to get to the pictures. Then I highlight all the pictures I want to copy, click COPY, and go to other folder you created and PASTE the pictures.

I can fully understand your dilemma, and sympathize. I hope I am explaining it so you can understand, try not to get frustrated, after you have done it a few times, it will become easy. If you have any questions, just ask, we are here to help.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  6:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guy's are great for trying to help me, and it's much appreciated; however you lost me because I didn't put any pictures on the computer in the first place, so I have no idea where they are. The guy that gave me the computer put everything on it and I don't know where to find them. Understand, I don't know how to operate this machine. All I know how to do is what someone has 'hands on' shown me. I can't look at what you're showing me, read and understand it and do it on the computer simultaneously because I don't know how to have more than one thing on the screen at a time. Every time I try to do that, somehow I mess around and lose everything I was looking at. It's a bit like trying to teach someone to assemble a locomotive kit speaking a foreign language over the phone; and you can only look at the pictures one at a time once he mails one to you. It's OK though, it ain't the end of the world. Someday I'll meet someone that knows how to do this stuff and maybe they'll show me. Ya'll are too kind to an "old fart" who has grown comfortable "living under his rock". And actually it ain't so bad under here; after all I got a real cool 12x20 On30 layout, cable TV, hot coffee, and lotsa good friends. Kyle

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  2:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have successfully resized my photos but when I go to post I get a space after opt. The downloaded photo doesn't have that space. Advise.

John

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/27/2016 :  4:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year, and I sure hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Still haven't found those pictures I took (but I did give up lookin' back around Halloween) anyways, I hope ya'll are havin' a wonderful Holiday season and keep playin' with the TRAINS!!!!!!!!! Kyle

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Early Aug 17 The Loading Dock Topic Next Topic: TheGallery:LateJuly17One Last Drive in a Jordan  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000