Railroad Line Forums - How to post pictures on the forum
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 How to post pictures on the forum
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Early Aug 17 The Loading Dock Topic Next Topic: TheGallery:LateJuly17One Last Drive in a Jordan
Page: of 3

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  4:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some threads to help with posting pictures here at Railroad-Line.
There is also some general tips listed to help with the posting of pictures.

How to Post a Photo - REVISED 12/23/06 - http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110

How to resize photos for posting at RRL - http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5383

posting photos using FireFox/Mozilla - http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18629

Posting pictures to the forum and file size - http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36807

Usually the two biggest problems as to why a picture won't post is size and naming convention.

Keep the long side of a picture at 800 pixels and save at a medium resolution.

Use only letters and numbers when you name your picture.

If you have any other questions let us know.
As you think, so will you be.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  4:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also use Elements and it has the same photo resizing of PS that Rick mentions.
Once you're ready to save the photo after editing it will always bring up the 'Image Options' box and this is where you change the number to 7.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

moore
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  5:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, Elliott, Thanks a lot, I think you have sorted me out with photo posting, appreciate that.

regards

John

Sean_OBrien
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  5:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a point of clarification:

Resolution does not equal compression. The sliding scale you are talking about that goes from 1 to 12 is the compression of the JPEG. A lower number in various Adobe products means a higher compression. This means that certain things will be less crisp, but the file size will be smaller. A higher number will be more crisp - but it will have a larger file size.

Depending on the software you use, it can be called a variety of different things (I think Adobe actually calls it quality) - but if you drop compression into the Help files search function you should be able to find out where it is adjusted.

Another thing that you might want to consider (if you are posting things like signs or decal type images) are palettized image formats (PNG or GIF) and vector graphic formats (SVG being the main portable one). They normally are not the best idea for actual photos since you have a limited number of colors to choose from - but if you want something crisp and clean...but relatively small in terms of file size, you can get that with a PNG, GIF or SVG file.

Engineer Bob
New Hire

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  3:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sean_OBrien

Just a point of clarification:

Resolution does not equal compression. The sliding scale you are talking about that goes from 1 to 12 is the compression of the JPEG. A lower number in various Adobe products means a higher compression. This means that certain things will be less crisp, but the file size will be smaller. A higher number will be more crisp - but it will have a larger file size.

Depending on the software you use, it can be called a variety of different things (I think Adobe actually calls it quality) - but if you drop compression into the Help files search function you should be able to find out where it is adjusted.

Another thing that you might want to consider (if you are posting things like signs or decal type images) are palettized image formats (PNG or GIF) and vector graphic formats (SVG being the main portable one). They normally are not the best idea for actual photos since you have a limited number of colors to choose from - but if you want something crisp and clean...but relatively small in terms of file size, you can get that with a PNG, GIF or SVG file.

I'm probably the guilty party behind the reason for this thread. My photo editing software is Arc Soft, which came from an old Canon scanner I bought a few years ago. I was trying to post a photo of a Bachmann 4-4-0 that I would dearly love to see as an S scale model. I think I had the size right, since I have posted on other forums, but for some reason I'm having problems on this one including getting something to happen when I press the file icon. Next is getting the photo to upload once I have been able to select it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I should eventually figure it out. Please be patient with me until that happens

Engineer Bob

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  5:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use to go round and round with this topic at first. I did all my stuff with Photoshop, then I was turned on to XnView (a free program download) by one of the members.
Now I can take any picture at any size from my computer and open XnView, leave the picture as is, or crop it, then click on Image-resize and type in 800 in the screen size width. And easy as magic it does it all for me. I save it as a JPEG and post it to the forum. Couldn't be easier. All the expensive programs I have, can't make it easier for forum posting than this XnView program.
Go to google type in XnView free download, and you'll find what you need.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  5:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Paint Shop Pro the procedure is similar ..

1. File -> Save as ...
2. Select "Save as type" -> .jpg if not selected
3. click the 'Options' button
4. click the 'Run Optimizer...' button
5. click the slider or up/down on the "Set compression value to" control. Center right the Compressed value will show. Compress until you are under the value needed such as 200kb.

Most of the time as Rick says .. 850x513 is no problem without having to bother with compression. The problems that I DO SEE .. is when someone has a photo that is 5,000 pixels wide by whatever .. and wonder why they won't load.

Edited by - eTraxx on 11/10/2013 5:41:12 PM

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  7:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reduced to 7 resolution in photoshop. I reduced image dimension to 800X600. I still get 245 KB after all of that. This is why I don't post here much any more. It's just too much of a hassle. I'd have to go down to 640X480 to get it under 200 KB, even at 7 resolution. I won't post my photo's that small. I'd love to keep posting here but right now, MRH is a lot easier and I can post at 800 while at the same time, my photos can be viewed if clicked on at 1600. In other words, I can upload an image lets say 1024 but in the window you post on in MRH you just have to put in 800. Easy! Pictures are at 800 with the option of viewing at a max of 1600 or less. Tom

Dennis R
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  10:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Lightroom you can specify the max kb for a photo. I have posted 1024x768 on another forum with a limit of 100kb and the photos look very good. I usually post 800x600 with a 100kb limit here.

Dennis

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  01:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I post pictures if the original file size is large(over 2mbs) I'll run the picture thru a crop at the original margins which lowers the resolution/kbs in half and then resize in Paint to under the 800x600 requested by this forum. I don't have any rejects with this method.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  02:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INRAIL

I reduced to 7 resolution in photoshop. I reduced image dimension to 800X600. I still get 245 KB after all of that. This is why I don't post here much any more. It's just too much of a hassle. I'd have to go down to 640X480 to get it under 200 KB, even at 7 resolution. I won't post my photo's that small. I'd love to keep posting here but right now, MRH is a lot easier and I can post at 800 while at the same time, my photos can be viewed if clicked on at 1600. In other words, I can upload an image lets say 1024 but in the window you post on in MRH you just have to put in 800. Easy! Pictures are at 800 with the option of viewing at a max of 1600 or less. Tom

Save them at resolution 6.
No one will notice the difference.
I post my pictures at 850 pixels on the longest side and save them at resolution 7 and never have a problem posting them here.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  02:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eTraxx

The problems that I DO SEE .. is when someone has a photo that is 5,000 pixels wide by whatever .. and wonder why they won't load.

Exactly.
Or they use other than letters and numbers in the file name.

I also see members linking to HUGE pictures from their websites that exceed the size of the forums page and then you have to scroll side to side and up and down to see the whole picture.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  07:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a tutorial on posting photos here: http://www.earlyrail.org/how-to.html The photos are from my Mac, but the Windows flavor(s) should look similar.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  3:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Dave.
Thanks.

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  6:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a jpeg that is 94k and I cannot post it.

Have tried different file names with letters only, no numbers or special characters.

Just tried to post them in the On30 thread, but when I clicked on "insert image" nothing happened.

Open to suggestions, In the past I have uploaded to an outside domain and would like to try and keep everything on RRL so they don't go away.

Thanks for any help.

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  7:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, email the picture to me and I'll let you know why it won't post.
I'll PM my email address to you.

Also, try using this address when you visit the site and then go to the On30 Forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/active.asp
Then try posting your picture again.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Early Aug 17 The Loading Dock Topic Next Topic: TheGallery:LateJuly17One Last Drive in a Jordan  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000