Railroad Line Forums - How to make a longer hex drive for Athearn/Kato
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 14 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: BKey ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Diesel Shop
 How to make a longer hex drive for Athearn/Kato
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Norfolk Southern Heritage Units Topic Next Topic: Your favorite Fallen Flag line comp.!!  

John Ryan
New Hire

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  4:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 3+ years of trying to run in an Athearn SD60, I'm going to remotor with a Kato... Everything is in, and fits well, except the Hex drives are about 1/8" too short. Has anyone run into this? and what can be done to fix this? I know NWSL has drives shafts, but nothing to fit that Athearn flywheel...

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  4:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kato makes a number of HO hex-drive universals in different lengths. Athearn pretty much copied their design, so they should fit. Kato's universals, as far as I know, are a perfect fit in Athearn's hex drive diesels. The ball should pop right into the Athearn coupling, and the hex head fits into the Athearn flywheels. They're also a more durable material. So, I would strongly recommend looking for the Kato universals to replace your too short Athearn drives.
Couldn't you just cut the drive and splice in an 1/8" inch piece and make it work?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

John Ryan
New Hire

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  5:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess, but how do you glue the slippery plastic used?

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  7:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JUst a thought.

Cut the round portion of the axle and file both pieces square.
Press fit into square brass tubing.
Should be able to get any length you need. AC might help but shouldn't be necessary ???!!!

John Kanakos
CNJWS II, Custom Models- Design & Build
http://www.junctionwestsub.ca
NMRA #055691 CARM # 212

Previous Topic: Norfolk Southern Heritage Units Topic Next Topic: Your favorite Fallen Flag line comp.!!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000