Railroad Line Forums - F C de UYUNI PACAMAYO (FCUP)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: jmiller320 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 F C de UYUNI PACAMAYO (FCUP)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Pacific Southwest Railway Museum @ Campo, Ca. Topic Next Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref.
Page: of 8

workwright
Section Hand

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  3:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, this is the first of what I hope will be a long story following the building of this railway.
The model railway is a fictional might have been. A branch off my version of the FCAB in Bolivia. The main town modelled, high on the altiplano exists for the mining industry containing a small rail served smelter. A branch leaves the mainline and climbs at a constant 4% into the mountains to reach a moderately sized mine. When finished the mine will have features in common with the real Pulacayo (Pacamayo is a mountain near Pulacayo) (well worth looking at in Google images)
The reality is the railway is in a house in France that we get to three times a year. It is in the attic of the house. Construction is US style-trackbases on risers from L girder base boards. UK in style in that the boards are all capable of dis-assembly and are portable. After six weeks work spread over two and a half years tracklaying is complete and ballasting and detailing has started. The stock presently is heavily reworked Bachmann locos detailed for South America with etched brass number plates and loco numbers on red buffer beams. Where needed the cabs have had their back plates removed and lamps and generators re-positioned. The stock is a little bit of Bachmann and a large and growing fleet of ore cars. So far these are Chivers (Slimline) kits with a lot of extra detail. Some have opening side dump doors and all have wood or iron wear stips to protect the sides when loading. I am going to make up a kit for myself that will produce a batch of some Ingoldsby type ore cars. I think they will be laser cut with etched details. I have made my own masters for the working US style switch stands and a friend has cast a couple of dozen for me in brass. All the turnouts are power operated and the whole railway is wired for DCC. The controller is a Bachmann Dynamis which after a troublesome start and base unit replcement has settled down. As I start to get to grips with the new technology DCC is showing promising signs both of reliable and flexibility in use.
The basics of the railway are a continuous run with an out of sight fiddle yard of about 24 yards,and a branch of about 15 yards run. There are 17 visible turnouts and three hidden. I hope to master how to post photos over the next few days and add to this post. Hopefully some of the experts out there on the forum that I have followed in constant admiration of their model making skills for the last two years will help me forward with comments and criticism. Last point, sorry about the rudeness of the initials of my railway. I only realised when titling the etch frame for the loco plates that in the UK at least they could be thought of as short for F... UP! Hopefully things can only get better from now on. Regards, Malcolm

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  3:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Malcolm and welcome to the RR-Line On30 Forum.
Very interesting layout you have planned and I hope you treat us with pictures of your progress.
I look forward to following along.

As you think, so will you be.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  3:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum! and w'hay another brit on the board :D

your layout sounds interesting. i have a bit of a fancy on export locomotives so i hope you'll post some photos of your stock and layout soon :)

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  01:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome! Looking forward to some photos!

Visit www.raydunakin.com to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  09:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed-sounds like a very interesting plan

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  10:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, great pictures when you search for Pulacayo

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  11:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow,, sounds very interesting...welcome to the forum, I'll be interested to see those Ingoldsby cars...and your progress in general.

Sly
New Hire

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  9:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Malcolm.

Your railroad sounds very interesting - the theme alone sets it apart. Like everyone, I'd love to see some photos of your engines and rolling stock as well as the model railroad's construction.

I've developed a real curiosity in South American narrow gauge recently. In your research and reading on the subject, do you have any books or websites that you could recommend for those of interested in the history of these lines?

I just did a google image search for Pulacayo railroad and there are some intruiging shots of the remains of the turntable and engine house at Pulacayo. Would love to know more.

Cheers,

S

workwright
Section Hand

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  10:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks for your responses. I am going to try to post a picture with this post. It is a view of the area set aside for the mine. The short sidings are going to be below the ore hoppers. Since the site is close to the backscene some parts of the building will have to be built on to it. The general construction of the baseboards can be seen. They are very conventional.

Edited by - workwright on 05/05/2012 10:18:36 AM

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  12:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow very cool! looks like a fun layout to run

workwright
Section Hand

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  08:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,firstly thanks for all the interest that has been shown. I will try to reply to some points raised and I will start to post a few more photos. My son has just shown me a quick way to get the size down for posting using "print screen" "paint" and crop. Given the poor quality of these photos compared to most of those I have enjoyed on this forum I hav'nt yet got anything worthy of putting through "Photoshop"
To areas of your interest.The mining areas of South America I find so interesting, the geology, the pre and post colonial history and as a retired scientist the chemistry and methods of extraction... Then whilst browsing one day I found the company site of the FCAB that has a good history section with some lovely photos of early locos and I was hooked. The short branch from Uyuni to Pulacayo was the next discovery. The Pulacayo mine with its neo-classical entrance and electric mine locos were just the icing on the cake. There are some good books that offer some more inspiration (alas out of print) Trackside Publications-Railways of Peru Volumes 1 and 2 by R Whetham,and Railways of Bolivia by C Walker. I challenge anybody to find a more exotic depot than one in Arica, Peru or a more exotic depot compound gate than the one at Tacna. They are both waiting for a friend's laser cutter.
Finding drawings for stock is proving difficult. At the start these railways used US or UK equipment, then post first war US and European. The Bachmann 2-8-0 with minor alterations, removal of the cab back, re-siting the generator and headlamp and removal of lettering to be replaced with brass plates and numbers gives me an acceptable loco. Once I track down drawings I will make one of a batch of UK built 4-6-0s supplied to the FCAB.

The photo shows a modified loco on a balasted section approaching one of the switch stands I made. Both the loco, switch stand and track await proper painting and weathering. The second photo shows the start of the locoshed area.

Edited by - workwright on 05/06/2012 09:05:03 AM

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  01:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great start on the layout! Looks really interesting.

Visit www.raydunakin.com to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

workwright
Section Hand

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  08:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, in answer to MinerFortyNiner the railway that I am building had to have a purpose. If it did'nt it would never be operated, whilst I enjoy making things I am very poor about using them.
The purpose was to carry ore from mines to smelter or to some form of transfer. At the moment the simplest solution that fits the space is a smelter. The gondolas and hoppers from Bachmann look a bit large for what I saw in my mind's eye so my first solution was to build a couple of rakes of 20 foot and a few 14 foot ore cars from Chivers Finelines now Slimlines. The kits build quickly and accurately into fine detailed models.(I have no connection to this company) However temptation to guild the lily occured and some were built with opening side doors. I was encouraged by the helpful Mr Chivers giving me some extra sides so with a file and saw the moulded doors were separated and placed into openings cut into the donor sides. The moulded hinge was replaced with brass wire and new cleats were made to retain the doors. Also wear strips were added to the sides and on some cars side braces and centre braces were added. The last detailing was a poor decision, it stops the load being removable. Strange how you realise problems late in the day!

This photo shows an altered side. The next photo shows a modified kit finished, pristine, waiting for running trials and weathering. The next problem was that the 14 foot cars looked a little small. Somehow the loco was'nt the problem it was the caboose. So Bachmann cabooses are banned and some Slimline kits are being put together.

I have seen a photo of an Ingoldsby dump car that Cimmaron (hope spelling is OK)models produced. After a search though old copies of the NGSLG a drawing was found and an internet trawl yielded a lot more detail so I have decided to try to find some time to draw up a version. It will be shorter than the drawing. I think 24 feet long. The sides will be laser cut and engraved card or microply. The frame laser cut acrylic and the details etch. The problems are first, time and second learning a new skill, preparing artwork for the laser though an old friend who is a real expert in the field says he is willing to test it. I will post any progree that I make. Regards Malcolm

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  10:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice work on the chivers car!
agree with them being a top rate company (the fact they sell parts from their kits is good in my books) (same disclaimer) ive built a handful of chivers kits, and half way with a bash of a 20 foot way car. i want a couple boxcars to convert into a railcar and maybe a 4wheel boxcar.

look forward to seeing any of these test build cars you're planning to make, i used to do some CAD/CAM work at school (with a simple, but great software) and the big lasser cutter, i almost regret not doing anything railway related with it.

workwright
Section Hand

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  4:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks for your comments andykins. A railway with some attractive stock and locos was the Estrada Perus Pirapore in Brazil. I am sure you will have found this yourself but if not I think you will enjoy this You Tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-uszh5mnSE
If it new to you and of interest there is a lot on the web. The whole railway is being restored and by happy accident all the locos and most of the stock has survived. It is now being slowly recovered from the jungle. Regards, Malcolm

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  4:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
your welcome.

funny you should say and bring that railway up, i did not know of it, till a month or so ago when another member posted it, :P i didnt know it was being restored though!
there is something about the engine near the start that just gets me going, yellow outside frame, yellow weights, side tanks with a tender! who couldnt love that?

i must admit i dont look for or follow much of the export railway stuff. even the stuff thats imported to the uk (bloody class 70's are ugly sights) that being said i was able to sneek something into my railroad. i did a porter a couple years ago that by "accident" ended up looking like an export engine, so i came up with the story that it was built to be sent to japan, but because of the war, never sent. im still trying to figure out a reason for a british engine to end up in 1950's iowa... :P

these british engines you are looking drawings for, who made them?

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Pacific Southwest Railway Museum @ Campo, Ca. Topic Next Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000