Railroad Line Forums - G Scale Modular
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 163 ]  [ Total: 169 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G Scale Modular
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bugs! Slippery rails. Topic Next Topic: Gallows construction
Page: of 31

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  11:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
M,
All credit of the design is to the Sundance guys. I just did alot of research before I started. I just did not have time or patience to hand lay track. Yes it is close to the edge but that allows me to keep the curves pretty large. I did not feel I had the space to transition from the front to the back. I have thought about the bolt on scenery as you suggested in the future.

The pentagons match the straight sections with a 30" ends. The back is about 39" and the front pieces are bout 33-1/2" The angle at the rear is 22.5 degrees and the front angle is 90 degrees. I don't remember the tip angle..

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  11:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting build. I like your approach to the benchwork. I'll be following along with interest!

Mark

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  11:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boy does that overall picture look familiar. As the German U-Boat captains said at the outbreak of WWII, those were the "Happy Days". Coming up is the "PIA Daze".

A word to the wise: we found after time the "point" of the pentagon modules began to droop down. We have had to cut braces to force the tip back up. You may want to add a horizontal cross brace across the wide part of the pentagons.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/04/2012 11:15:54 AM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  12:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw the potential for that. I have planned on fiberglassing the end of each pentagon. I figure a couple layers of 6 oz fiberglass cloth will strengthen the ends.

I have seen that picture many times researching for this project.

Ty

Richard Schmitt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  4:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ty,
Nice wood work on the modules. I like the pocket you created within the 45 for the legs.
Remember to dowel the modules together after you completed all you track work and the whole modular is set-up level.
Your photos bring back memories of when we were building the Sundance and hand laying the track.
Great Job!
Richard
Sundance Central

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  8:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard,
All of the modules have the alignment dowels in place. I could not imagine hand laying all this by myself. It would be several years before I would be finished.
I am going to spend the next week trying to set up my trailer to carry all the modules. I can't decide wheather long term if the modules base scenery will survive with modules sitting on the ends or if I have to keep them flat.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  10:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of scenery are you going for? Flat or mountains?

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  10:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh it can't get too high off of the surface. Any really large stuff will have to be removed for transport. I have about 10" clearance between each module . Still work out the details..

Ty

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  11:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I guess almost flat wins.
The ground cover will stay attached if the modules are on their sides but trees, structures and other large
details would have to be removable until the layout was put together. Still in awe you are going this alone.
What part of the country are you going to try to model like?

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  08:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm not really tied down to anything in particular. But I am use to the foothills or like the Creeper trail in VA.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  08:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty,

I vote for flat based on our experiences. We have 4 yard modules that go on a wheeled rack in the vertical position because of their irregular shape and they are always loosing something. One other thing the concrete highways are the worst for traveling, babump-babump-babump.

Frank

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  11:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well I have been measuring. I think I can make flat work.

I also got my manual switch stands in yesterday.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  6:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty,

Just thought I'd through this out there, these are the rolling cabinets we use to transport our layout. They work great and save a ton of time setting up and packing up.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/06/2012 6:12:57 PM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  9:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Thanks for the pic's. Ya'll have it down to a science. I a 12x6x7 trailer that I plan to get it all into. I went out and did some measuring and I can make a shelving system that I can get all the 12 of the pentagons into and still have room to get the other four straight sections in.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  9:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Landrel.

I remember the morning when Dave opened the "PODS" storage doors and quickly grabbed my camera.
So many large layout sections filling every inch of space.

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_sundance_central.html

Little did I know what was going to unfold over the next 24 hours.

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_portland_ng_convention.html

Page: of 31 Previous Topic: Bugs! Slippery rails. Topic Next Topic: Gallows construction  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000