Railroad Line Forums - Scalescenes Cargo Freighter
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 211 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Scalescenes Cargo Freighter
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Mater from Cars the Movie Topic Next Topic: 1931 Ford AA Dump Truck
Page: of 5

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  8:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After finishing the Freebie Warehouse kit from Scalescenes:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36362
I figured I'd try something a bit more challenging, their cargo ship:
http://www.scalescenes.com/products/T030-Cargo-Ship
I'll be calling it my Coastal Freighter. The kit cost about 10$ and it's a download from their website.
It's comprised of 19 printed sheet of paper and 14 pages of instructions. It comes in OO scale (1/72) but I did manage to shrink it to 1/87 scale without much difficulty. It measures out to just under 2 feet long according to my estimates.
After printing the pages out I had to laminate about half of them to different widths of card. I made most of the card by cutting and glueing posterboard sheets together. 2 sheets for the medium card, 4 sheets for the thick card. I used some 220 gsm (135lb.) heavyweight paper for the light card. Everything was laminated together with Elmer's spray adhiesive.

I sprayed all the sheets later with a clear matte finish to seal the colors of the paper.

Since there are 14 pages of instructions I put them all in a binder for safekeeping.

One good thing about the kit is the ability to name the ship and the home port. I decided on Northern Venture with a home port of Prince Rupert.

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  10:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A man with a plan! This looks really interesting Glen, keep us up to date.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  08:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be an interesting build.

Jeff S.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  08:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahoy Glen,this will be interesting to watch!

Greg Shinnie

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should be fascinating! Keep us posted!

Pete
in Michigan

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  12:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank's for your votes of confendence. I'm not sure how this model will turn out since it's considerably more challenging that the other card models I've built.
I did start assembly tonight. I managed to turn this:

Into this:

This is the bow structure. It doesn't look like much but this took about an hour and a half due to having to cut all the parts out of 2mm thick card. I have a feeling I'll be needing more knife blades......

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  04:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice project!
Instead of regular card, use matte board instead! Much easier to cut, and cheaper as well....
The card you seem to have is more or less like plywood when it comes down to cutting it!
Even 1.5 mm MDF is easier to cut than that actually.....

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

Edited by - Graffen on 04/17/2012 04:39:50 AM

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  08:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off to a good start, Glen.

Jeff S.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  09:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, Graffen. I'll keep that in mind for next time. As for now I'll just keep plugging away.
The Poster board wasn't that expensive, about .50 a sheet and I made all my card out of 5 sheets plus about 4$ for the spray adheisive.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  3:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Haasdyk

It doesn't look like much but this took about an hour and a half due to having to cut all the parts out of 2mm thick card. I have a feeling I'll be needing more knife blades......

Au contraire! It's obviously plenty of work doing a neat job on a complex assembly ... and isn't it a delight to "get lost" or "completely absorbed" in a project for that hour and a half? Finished stuff is great but those little pieces of the journey are what make the hobby so enjoyable.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  06:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, Glen....I've become a huge Scale Scenes fan too.....have bookmarked the thread.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  09:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completed the stern structure last night.

All the parts slide together with slots for easy assembly. There's an open door in the lower deck of the stern so there's some detail printed on the inside.
To pass the time while cutting all these parts out I've started to watch a movies or TV. It seems to make the tedium of the job pass a bit better.

Now I've come to a small problem. My printer didn't want to print solid green so my decks are a faded look to them:

I'm thinking of leaving them as is and calling it 'computer printer weathering'

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen,
For all intents and purposes, one could transfer these plans to just about any material one wanted to build with, yes? For instance, the structural framing could be made of plywood and sheathed with a different thinner material. I'm not recommending you do this of course, you have your agenda all planned out and it looks great. Just wondering what the possibilities are with these plans.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  09:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I supose one could, as long as you mount the printed pages on material that is the same thickness as the card the instructions call for.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  10:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen,

How about a shot of the bow and stern pieces fitted together?

Jeff S.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  6:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your start on this build lets us guess it will be an interesting one, even if obviously it requires a 'certain amount of time'...

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Mater from Cars the Movie Topic Next Topic: 1931 Ford AA Dump Truck  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000