Railroad Line Forums - My Katsumi Brass Shay Project
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: wstrouse ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 My Katsumi Brass Shay Project
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Harry Brunk and the HOn3 Union Central & Northern Topic Next Topic: Hoppers ????
Page: of 3

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  12:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bryan
This is a great little Shay. I had a HO standard gauge and was able to tune this to move at a crawl with DC not DCC. The gear mesh will make all the difference in the world.
Have fun with it.
Mike M

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  3:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: So I talked to NWSL and they said the motor for this shay is a Item #: 1225D-9. Is the shaft of the motor 1.0mm? Here is the description: Motor, Flatcan, 10x12x25mm dbl shaft 1.0x8mm, no load: 17K rpm, stall amp 0.38, Net wt 0.4oz, peak efficiency 33%. They also informed me that Narrow Gauge Gazette in one of there late 1993 magazines did an article on remotering a Katsumi shay. Anyone know what month it was. I will be today stripping the paint off with acetone and then, with the advice from Doug, clean it temporarily with WD40. Pictures to follow.

adrian_batey
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  5:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cascade Man

Update: So I talked to NWSL and they said the motor for this shay is a Item #: 1225D-9. Is the shaft of the motor 1.0mm? Here is the description: Motor, Flatcan, 10x12x25mm dbl shaft 1.0x8mm, no load: 17K rpm, stall amp 0.38, Net wt 0.4oz, peak efficiency 33%. They also informed me that Narrow Gauge Gazette in one of there late 1993 magazines did an article on remotering a Katsumi shay.

Thats correct about the shaft size. each shaft being 8mm long and 1mm diameter. Having double shaft might be worth ordering a fly wheel when you order it (may not have the room to put it on but its only a few dolloars extra and will improve the running).

Im not sure how you can tackle the shaft size.
The article should be helpful if you come across it.

I might put my order in with NWSl to get the parts for my PFM shay.

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  03:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright I have the shay stripped down to it's original brass. I'll put photos up soon. Next step is remotering. Problem: the worm gear on the motor shaft is soldered on... Any suggestions?

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  06:53:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You can apply heat to remove the worm gear and then use a solder wick to remove all the solder left in the bore. NWSL has bushings listed on the same page as the motors you were considering. The bore in the worm will probably be larger than the shaft.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  5:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apply heat with my solder gun? The motor shaft right now is 1.0mm and the new motor will be 1.0mm. Do I still need a adapter bushing?

adrian_batey
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  7:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cascade Man

Apply heat with my solder gun? The motor shaft right now is 1.0mm and the new motor will be 1.0mm. Do I still need a adapter bushing?

No you wont need an adaptor bushing since its the same size .
Just use a clean soldering iron to heat the worn gear untill the solder softens and with any luck it should slide straight off.

Any luck working out what issue the article was in?

reklein
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  11:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just got done looking through all the 1993 NGSLGs for '93' and did not find an article on this Shay. Any other ideas? BILL

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  9:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm I have no idea then. The guy from NWSL told me Jeff Johnston wrote the article and that is was late '93 NGSL. Beats me. Well good news. The engine is all stripped down and put back together. I took my dremel tool with a buffing wheel and buffed out the contact wipers to look new again. I also tore out all the 40 year old wiring and replaced it with NWSL wire. I am currently still using the motor that it came with and it runs much better then it did before but is still loud, and "jumpy". New can motor will fix that. I will post photos tomorrow for sure. Happy Easter weekend everyone :)

Bryan

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  08:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bryan,......I'll take a look at my Gazette listing and see if I can come up with it for you.....I kinda think I remember it...tom

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  12:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i thought "i know, i'll google "katsumi shay" and see if i can find any info on whitch issue it was in the NGSL, that'll be great help"

turns out a young lady also uses "katsumi shay" as a working name in her job for erm "gentleman's special interest literature" just a word of warning.

however, putting in "hon3/hon30" seems to remove a certain lady from the seach results. however all ive been able to find is links to stores/auction sites and the odd forum post/yahoo group, nothing on remotoring, someone asked, but a reply said that he had one and just giving it a good clean worked well for him, but i know that open frame motors are tricky. some will work wonderfully. some not.

hopefuly someone will come up with something more helpful

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  11:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I ran into that same problem too... even with safe surf on. How annoying.

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  12:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright everyone here are the update photos on the Katsumi shay project. Paint is stripped. Contact wipers cleaned. New wires installed. Then put back together. I haven't done anything to the brass since I have stripped it including not lubing it yet. However I am not running it for awhile so I don't see a point. It's getting closer to a great shay I must say! I am still on the hunt on getting that Joe Works shay however... an elusive bugger. I get a dead end on every lead!

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  10:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the clean up. It looks like new.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  02:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Doug! There is something about that clean brass that makes me want more shays... lol I have the feeling I have started another sub hobby within my love for narrow gauge: brass. Anyways, I have the parts ordered from NWSL so now it's a waiting game tell I can start that end. I have my completed MDC shay waiting for the airbrush (I have never airbrushed anything so I'm nervous...) You guys have any color suggestions for both these shays? I know everyone has there own opinion but I don't so I will take any idea . I have a Paasche H single action airbrush and an assortment of Floquil paint. Do you guys use enamels like Floquil for you engines or acrylics like Polly-Scale for your engines? And which flow tip would I use for my airbrush for these paints? I have light, medium and heavy density tips. Oh I also have an accompanying air compressor and regulator with a chart for the right PSI. Just an FYI

Edited by - Cascade Man on 04/10/2012 02:53:00 AM

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Harry Brunk and the HOn3 Union Central & Northern Topic Next Topic: Hoppers ????  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000