Railroad Line Forums - Mining Town Progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Mining Town Progress
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Texture Site Topic Next Topic: Anvil Mountain Models HO Shed
Page: of 2

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  7:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For those following my layout progress I just posted 4 new pictures here http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/big_bug.html
****Scroll down the page to find them***
Doug
http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

TRAINS1941
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  8:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug

Nice real nice.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  8:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking Great!

Lance

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  8:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Doug

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  03:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice set of structures in your town, Doug.
Are all of them kits or is there a mix of scratch and kit-building?

Frederic Testard

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  08:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There is a mix of kits and scratch builts Fred. The buff colored section house on the end closest to the mine is a scratch build. Next to it is a Banta general store, 3 Campbell structures, 2 scratch builds and then another Banta kit. I still have one small house to add and a lot of sign weathering and detail ect. left to do. Many shacks and outhouses to come. It will get busier. (grin)

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  08:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Doug.

Don

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  08:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doug,

You’ve been working very hard and being so quiet about it. I like the fact you captured the two joined buildings with that very unusual roof connection.

Frank

time2play
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  09:09:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done Doug. Impressive.,,

Bob Farquhar

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  09:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking Mining scene, and fine choice on research pictures for structures.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

eaglehook159
Section Hand

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  09:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Doug. Where were the research pictures taken? Dave

Head Honcho,V.P. of Marketing,Chief Buyer,Primary Scapegoat,and Head Broom Pusher of the Bear Mountain Lumber and Railway Co.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  10:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice modeling, Doug, and I love the fact that the structures are researched based.

This teaser might send more members to look at your link:

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  10:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking shape very nicely Doug!
I don't think their is any gold in those hills.
They seem to be rich in rigid foam.

Greg Shinnie

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  12:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The research photos for the two center scratchbuilt structures were taken from Google images. They can be found by researching St. Elmo, Colorado. The section house on the end was scratched and loosely based on one from Ophir, Colorado as are the two kitbashed Banta structure kits.
The 3 Campbell kits are not prototype based (I don't believe) but I did them a few years ago and until now they have been lonely shelf orphans.
I do most of my researching in books or Google images of the Black Hills of South Dakota, also Arizona, Colorado and the Kaslo & Slocan regions of British Columbia.
If I take a structure image into Photo Shop, I can blow it up until the doors and windows size match similar Grandt Line items, then I take my other measurements right off my monitor screen. I don't try to build an exact duplicate as I'm not a prototype modeller. I'm more interested in capturing the right feel. (and having fun)

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  1:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug,
Nice town, I need to watch your website a little more.
Larry

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  3:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doug, I gotta smile a bit......I was just going to ask you if it was St. Elmo! I visted St. Elmo in 86 (convention was that year I think). We drove up to Hancock and on the way we stopped at St. Elmo....the little general store was open and we purchased post cards of St. Elmo from the lady who was running it.
There were two boxcars in the woods along the road up to Hancock....they were narrow gauge C&S cars and the inside was stenciled Union Pacific (and maybe "& Gulf")
Your rendition of St. Elmo looks great to me! Looking forward to seeing progress.....tom

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Texture Site Topic Next Topic: Anvil Mountain Models HO Shed  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000