Railroad Line Forums - Building the Hotel Martin
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: nevadablue ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Building the Hotel Martin
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Pier Warehouse - Challenge Project Topic Next Topic: accu wand vacuum cleaner
Page: of 5

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  2:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hotel Martin (pronounced in the Romance fashion with the emphasis on the second sylable like Martin Brodeur's first name) is my solution to a problem.

In another thread I have described the Hotel Marre which will sit at the base of my pier. The problem is that, after much research and study, I do not think that my current modelling skills are good enough to produce a satisfactory model of a signature structure. My pier warehouse is the first scratch-built structure in over 40 years and in it's detail and finish, it is comparatively crude.

The other town on my planned railroad, San Luis, also has a hotel. by the depot. and I have decided to modify my plans for it, so that it will mostly fit the footprint of the Hotel Marre and can stand in for it until I feel confident enough to tackle that building. Thus the Hotel Martin was born.

I obtained a Bar Mills #1 kit from BigLars in a trade and I planned to use that for the two upper floors of the Hotel Marre and to that end, I cut windows and doors for it. I am now convinced that I will need to do better with the Hotel Marre, so I am going to use those walls for the Hotel Martin and I have added a couple of doors so that the structure makes more sense.

Edited by - Schoolmaster on 02/29/2012 5:29:51 PM

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  3:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hotel Martin is quite small, with only 11 rooms and a bathroom on the upper floor, and saloons, dining room, storage, lobby, manager's quareters and kitchens on the ground floor. It is only 32 feet squre, with a 12 foot wide covered verandah on two sides.

Here's the basic #1 kit wall panels. They are clapboard and partly laser cut on the back so you can cut windoes and doors as you need them. I like this approach and will use this kit again for other small structures.

The rest of the walls working toward completion.

From left to right, Front, Left side, right side. The verandah will cover the front and the left side. The two doors on the front lead to the Saloon, and the Dining Room, the door on the left is the main entrance, and the door on the right is the kitchen. There were only three walls, so I fabricated another one from parts BigLars supplied.

Edited by - Schoolmaster on 02/29/2012 3:15:21 PM

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  3:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next, the inside was braced amd painted. There will be no interior, just some floors, ceilings, and viewblocks,

The corners are built so that they notch together. The back warped badly, 1/8" bracing and all, so I fitted some serious 3/8" x 3/4". Bend that!

The exterior is sprayed a thin white, the final wall color and the parts test fitted to the base.

Time to add the verandah decking.

and then trial fit the building again.

That's it for the last couple of days.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  4:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I think it really doesn't look that bad, John. The diagonal butting of the walkway planks is a nice detail.

Frederic Testard

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  4:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's going together quite well, but I have a slate shingled roof to put on, and so far the roof of my warehouse has been the hardest part.

Just received an e-mail to tell me that many of the Grandt details I ordered will not be coming. Grrr!

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  5:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks like a great start John ! Sorry to hear about the Grandt Line parts..but I think it's easy to scratch windows and doors, just takes more time

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  5:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to scratch-build the Victorian details on the windows or the turned verandah posts or the porh trim.

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  9:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Front wall with soffit and trim board

and the front wall with windows and doors and two other walls in progress (Watching Penguins and Stars)

I hope you like the color choice. If it is hideous, suggest corrections that don't involve repainting, but I can add another color to the palette

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  10:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The colors look good as does the build.

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  10:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really didn't know what I was doing when I chose the #1 Kit, but I'm really glad I did now.

I'm already planning what to do with the next one.

I inherited the color (Hunter, whatever that might be; I'm not a woman)with the house here in Florida. It had a dark Victorian look.

Edited by - Schoolmaster on 02/29/2012 10:23:37 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  10:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The colors are exactly the same as on my hotel white with hunter green trim. Common colors for the time period.

Larry
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  10:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolmaster

I don't want to scratch-build the Victorian details on the windows or the turned verandah posts or the porh trim.

I found some wood turned posts at my local hobby lobby. I think they were intended for stairs in 1/2 inch but look good in 1/4 inch as roof support posts.

Larry
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining

Edited by - BigLars on 02/29/2012 10:34:23 PM

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  10:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it looks good, I thought in might be a dark brown. Funny that we ended up with the same colors.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  01:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good so far! I like the colors, and the way the planks meet at the corner of the boardwalk.

Visit www.raydunakin.com to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  03:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks great so far and the colours look fine to me :D

did you order directly from grandtline?

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  03:33:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks great so far and the colours look fine to me :D

did you order directly from grandtline?

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Pier Warehouse - Challenge Project Topic Next Topic: accu wand vacuum cleaner  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000