Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 167 ]  [ Total: 169 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  09:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Very, very nicely done, Chuck!

Suggestion: Invite Jim Fawcett over more often-- these images are eye candy!

Pete
in Michigan

Sounds like a smart idea!

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

It is the length of the train. I've never really paid any attention to that, though. There is a maximum length of train that you set. It becomes a factor when generating switchlists. Usually, you set that to the smallest passing siding, the limits of your locomotives as to what they can pull, or the length of train you like to see.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  10:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, I am making progress, Jim! But, we do need to get together, sometime.

Chuck

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  11:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Hello! Is anyone here quietly working? Hello!
Chuck,it's been so long since you have given any updates.

Greg Shinnie

Chuck, it's great to see that you have finally returned here!

Greg Shinnie

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  11:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Greg.

Below is a mock-up of the scale house I have planned. It is based on the Santa Fe's design. You can see an example on this page:
http://coastdaylight.com/ph/scph/corona_quaas.html

I just like the look of it. I've found many designs, some look like the clubhouse/fort we built as kids out of spare lumber and plywood. While others are a lot more pleasing to the eye, like this design.

I still need to tweak the drawing a bit. But, I am close.

And, Greg, I am planning to add lights, one on the inside and two outside. And, a little bit of an interior.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  11:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress is moving right along nice.

Looking forward to that little building coming to life.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  12:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great looking little structure, Chuck.

quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

I've found many designs, some look like the clubhouse/fort we built as kids out of spare lumber and plywood.

Chuck

I wonder how many kids build 'forts' today. We spent many an hour adding onto ours - it actually had two stories by the time we were done.

Bruce

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  12:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

I don't think kids build forts or club houses, anymore. I do read about a few tree houses, once in a while...usually in a dispute in the paper about building code or a dispute with a neighbor. But, those were fun times having a fort.

Here is one example of the minimalist approach to a scale house. This is in Scranton, PA, on what is now Steamtown property.

Chuck

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  1:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good excuse for a gantlet track if you ask me. It looks good Chuck Are you going to make it "operational"? By that I mean using something like Boulder Creek's electronic scale simulator? I have one I have to install and a few railroads I operate on have them. They are quite neat and add operational possibilities to your op sessions. You can do as little as weigh the cars just to see and hear it operate or you can go as far as keeping paper records such as recording the car number, type and weight. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 01/03/2016 1:18:56 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  1:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I looked at the Boulder Creek scale simulator. It makes the operation interesting. But, I decided it was more than what I wanted. Instead, what I found was a timer circuit that I reset with each car being weighed. A pair of LEDs indicate whether a car is in the process of being weighed or if it is ready to be moved. It is amazing how much it slows down the operations and with the limitation of keeping the engine off the scale, it makes things a little interesting.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  12:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Mark,

It is the length of the train. I've never really paid any attention to that, though. There is a maximum length of train that you set. It becomes a factor when generating switchlists. Usually, you set that to the smallest passing siding, the limits of your locomotives as to what they can pull, or the length of train you like to see.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! After I posted the question, I came to realize it was probably the length of the train but wondered why that was important, and you answered the question! Thanks for the information.

That scale house looks good and I know it will look great once you work your magic on it!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  10:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, I spent some time working on the drawing for my scale house. I originally used 3rd PlanIt. But, since I am working on an article, I thought I would redo the drawing in a file format that I can send to the editor for use. The drawing below was done in Inkscape.

I also wanted to see what the color I have planned for the little structure will look. I plan to paint it Reefer Gray.

Anyway, here is a rendering of the front wall, shown in Reefer Gray. I can remove the color layer when I submit it to the magazine.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  2:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks to be a nice little house Chuck.

Loved the photo of the one in Scranton.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  5:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Construction has finally begone on the scale house. The front three walls are done. And, the one end wall with the window is partially complete. I'll be making a run to a local hobby shop to pick up some strip styrene that I need for the remaining walls.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  5:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Chuck. Is that all done with styrene?

This will be worth a trip to Wayne to see it in person.

Jerry

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000