Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 162 ]  [ Total: 167 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  9:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a few months since I've been able to accomplish anything on the layout. So, I took advantage of a free day this last weekend and worked on a few IHC passenger cars I bought years ago. They are decorated for the Lehigh Valley's John Wilkes passenger train. Beautifully done, I had to buy the three cars on the shelf, even if they are representative of the steam era. And, they aren't quite right for the LVRR. But, how could I pass them up???

Anyway, the cars are extremely light, since they did not come with any weights. So, I bought some Adair weights that fit these cars. I also installed Kadee 454 swing brackets with #5 couplers so that it can negotiate my tighter curves on the layout. And, I also installed Pikestuff passenger seats for the interior and metal wheels.

They sure look nice on the layout!

CD

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  9:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that is a handsome looking coach Chuck.
Nice to have you back posting in your thread!
Now keep it up!

Greg Shinnie

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  10:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What Greg said!

-Dave

-Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  12:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Chuck! It's good to see this thread pop back up again and to see you back on the railroad.

Those cars are a nice scheme and do look good!

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  06:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharp looking cars, very nice!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  07:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

It is good to see your layout thread become active again. I like the looks of those cars.

Bruce

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  3:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Those are pretty cars indeed.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  4:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck

Nice looking coach.

How did you make out with Sandy???? Hope you didn't get amy damage. We where up there a week ago. Seems there were a lot of big trees down.

We saw that Fire SUV that got crushed the one with the Police car. Hard to believe they made it out alive.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  5:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

We made out OK with the storm. No damage. Thanks for asking!

Chuck

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  5:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chuck...some great progress on the layout. The passenger car livery is beautiful! I'd love to see all three together for a group photo!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  10:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last night, I slashed my layout's electronic throat.

I bought a Digitrax PM4-2 a couple years ago and never got around to installing it. Last night was the night to start.

Fortunately, Louis (DesertDrover) posted a great photo of his PM4-2 installation on a couple threads. And, I printed out his photo to use as a guide. Here is my build of the PM4-2. The only differences I made are that the 110v power connection is made inside the junction box in the lower left. I didn't want that exposed. Also, I am using the ground wire from the 110v connection to ground the PM4-2.

When Louis posted his image showing everything built pn a piece of plywood, that was the "ah ha" moment. This allowed me to build it at the workbench and then I can attach it to the electonics board under the layout. I am going to apply this modular approach to other areas of the electronics board. I'll post an update when I get to that point.

But, for now, the layout is dead until the PM4-2 is actually installed on the layout.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  11:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On Saturday night, all of the electrical work for the layout was completed. I installed the PM4-2. This required running additional bus wires for new districts of the layout. Now, I have all four of my major switching areas in its own district: Wilkes-Barre, West Coalton, The Heights, and the staging yard. Once the new bus wires were run, I simply relocated the drops from the track and from powering frogs to the appropriate bus wire.

And, I built a board of outlets that area controlled by individual switches. Earlier in the thread, I showed that the layotu comes apart in sections. So, I wanted a way to quickly disconnect one section from the next and also allow me to cut power to a sub-district if I needed to. So, I came up with this. Probably overkill, but it works. Anyway, the leads from the PM4-2 are connected to this board. There is room on the board to connect an AR-1. That will be needed when I build the reverse loop.

And, I had to move the location of the circuits for the switch machines. I have three circuits in total, two of them are identical. This circuit is the route controlled circuit for Tortoise machines. It is from an article in the November 2000 issue of MR. I built two of these circuits, one for West Coalton and the other for the staging yard underneith it.

And, this is the circuit for all other Tortoise switch machines that are not route controlled. Pretty simple with a transformer and a couple diodes.

After getting things up and running, I tested each of the districts to make sure they were trully isolated. I didn't want any leakage of power from one district to another.

Then, yesterday was cleaning up the mess I made. A lot of wire insulation pieces, ends of zip ties, and other crap on the floor around the layout. Then, it was time to play.

I ran half of an operating session on the layout and didn't have any issues. It's nice to have the layout in operation, again!

I am hoping I can start building the return loop over the Christmas holidays. I guess I better order the AR-1 circuit I will need for the return loop.

Chuck

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  12:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that is some very neat & tidy wiring work you have completed there, well done!

Greg Shinnie

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  1:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Compared to the rats nest I had before, Greg, yes, this is very tidy. Thanks! I think that is partly due to the photo Louis posted of the wiring for his PM4-2 in another thread. I just followed what he did. (Thanks, Louis!) I want to keep it neat, if I can. The wiring on the layout itself is a little messy, though.

I was reflecting on this some more after I posted the update. This is the third major rewiring of the layout. Originally, the layout was wired for DC. Then, I converted to DCC. And, now, the DCC is divided into sub-districts.

Chuck

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  2:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, like all your work neat and well done! Can you share the schematic for the discharge? I see the capcitors what size and what else?

Cheers!, Joe

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000