Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 158 ]  [ Total: 159 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2020 :  3:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And my (belated) condolences on your loss. I was just looking at your photos and didn't notice the text when I commented.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2020 :  4:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No worries, Dave. I often miss some of the text when I am looking at everyone's great photos. I appreciate everyone's kind words.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2020 :  4:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck sorry to hear of you losing your Mom.

The car is some outstanding modeling.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  10:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It took me a long time to build this car. I had a lot of distractions in the time between when I started planning the build in October to when I completed it yesterday. Plus, I had issues throughout the construction of the car which made me think that it did not want to be built. But, I persevered with the beast.

Just as a side note, back in 2006, we visited Ira Deutsch at his home to see his layout. And, I noticed he had a Funaro & Camerlengo milk container car kit on his workbench, outlined in red below. He said it was the most difficult kit he has ever built. This from a person that is a master craftsman, who hand letters his rolling stock and builds passenger car interiors from scratch. I already had the kit in my stash and after this visit, it just sat there.

But, after scratch building the first two cars for the NMRA Achievement Program's Cars category, I felt confident I could build this car. It really did not look that hard. I studied it and drew my own plans to replace some of the castings that came with the kit. I also created the artwork for the decals I had printed for the tanks and end reporting marks.

I did a lot of research since I found the instructions to be lacking....both in the text and the photos. The photos were very dark in the instructions. Some folks on the forum helped with that research, which I am grateful for.

The brake system is from Cal Scale. And, I did not follow the arrangement shown in the terrible photo in the instructions. Instead, I found a sideview plan drawn by Chuck Yungkurth that only shows the valve, slack adjuster, and brake cylinder on that side. No reservoir. I also found a photo that barely shows the ends of two reservoirs and the side of another reservoir on the opposite side of the car. To confirm that finding, a friend sent me a photo of the underside of a brass model.

For the deck, the kit comes with a cast resin piece that simulates wood on one side and the tracks for the tanks. The other side is smooth. Since this is a model for the Achievement Program, I thought it should be wood since the people evaluating it are going to look at the car from all angles.

So, I drew my own plans for the decking, brake system, decal placement, and other details.

During the construction, I bent all of my own grab irons, stirrup steps, steam/brake/signal piping, rods, and uncoupling levers. I also made my own brake levers underneath. Lots of other small details were replaced with my own. The kit did come with grab irons and stirrup steps. But, when I looked through them, not all the right sizes were there. So, I just put them aside and decided to bend my own.

So why the interest in milk when my main interest is anthracite? A friend of mine got me interested years ago. I tend to admire the oddball types of cars, and there were a few of them in the milk industry. This is one of them. Pioneering technology for the day when you look at containerized freight today. There is also the butterdish car. Plus, I found a photo of a milk train in the town I grew up in showing a doodlebug pulling a milk car, and was called "little milk." What is not to like?

So, all I have left are two cars to build for the Achievement Program, one being a passenger car. I already have the four cars built that I need to have evaluated. I am just waiting for the vaccine and the confidence to meet with people to do the evaluations. I already have four cars that are scratch built, too. The two remaining cars I plan to build will be Funaro & Camerlengo kits.

On to the next one.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  10:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Chuck! Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  10:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, really unique looking piece of rolling stock, very excellent work on it!

Greg

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  11:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on a difficult build, Chuck.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic!

George

Fly Army

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  11:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an impressive build Chuck!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

acrr46
New Hire

Posted - 03/16/2021 :  6:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck

Havenít logged in to Railroad Line Forums in a very long time. It was nice to see your layout progress from the beginning.

I plan to follow in the future.

Frank Pastore

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  11:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, chuck.

James

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  8:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had my head down at the workbench for a few weeks, working my butt off on the next car for the NMRA Achievement Program. I just finished up the next car for the Cars Achievement Program certificate. This car will be my required passenger car for the program.

This is a resin Funaro & Camerlengo B&O 50 foot C-15 baggage car in HO scale. I substituted the UC brake details from Cal Scale for the cast resin components in the kit. And the trucks are prototypical for this car, which I purchased from Bethlehem Car Works. I wanted a short passenger car since I am currently not running passenger trains. And, I decided to "repurpose" the car to my Maintenance of Way Department. One more car to go....

Chuck

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  8:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!! I always appreciate seeing the completed undercarriage for passenger cars.

I wonder if there'd be a battery compartment for lights for an MoW car.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  11:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very nice looking model, Chuck.

George

Fly Army

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  11:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, wow what a beauty!

Greg

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000