Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  4:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg and Bill.

Bill, the assessment for Golden Spike went very well. I'l be getting the certificate at the end of the month, at our division meet.

As for the cars certificate, I am using the ACL flat car in book 3 to develop an idler car. I am redrawing the car to help create jigs for drilling holes in the various components. I like the precision in doing this vs. trying to use a scale rule and my eyes to figure out where to drill a hole.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  3:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still working on my idler car. I have been producing my own plans, based on a flat car in Book 3. Drawing my own plans helps me determine how I will assemble the car and the components I will use. It is my process.

In the meantime, I thought I would post a photo of the mine scene. I thought I posted this, earlier.

The scene shows my Boxcab picking up a loaded hopper. It is heading out of the picture, to the left and will travel between the head frame on one side of the tracks and the office/warehouse and fan house on the other. You can also see the bridge carrying the steam pipes over the tracks and one of the three fire hose houses at its base. The breaker is to the right.

The black mound in front of the "green mountains" is a culm pile. This is the mine waste. And, in NE Pennsylvania, a lot of this waste was very dark in color, probably due to the coal dust. Many of these culm piles have been processed in recent years to reclaim the coal dust. When I went to college in Wilkes-Barre, we saw these piles, everywhere.

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  3:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Chuck!

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  3:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you Chuck.

A very nice scene.

Hope everything is going good in Wayne.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  3:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking scene, Chuck. I like that bridge carrying the pipes.

George

Fly Army

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  4:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, those culm piles are mostly shale, which was often found around (on top/beneath) the coal seams. "Lithified mud", basically....

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  4:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not surprising, Dave. I found a link to a photo, showing a culm bank in the anthracite region. It gives you an idea of the color. I used Woodland Scenics cinders for mine.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coal_waste_pile_west_of_Trevorton,_Pennsylvania_detail_4.JPG

Chuck

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  6:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your scene looks very realistic, Chuck. I like all the details and small structures complementing the main ones.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  8:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the scene, and good to see your work again.

James

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, here are the first "in process" photos of the car I am scratchbuilding for the NMRA's Achievement Program.

This car will be an idler or reach car. I will be using it on my layout to help push cars onto the scale track in order to eliminate the risk of the engine traveling on the scale.

The car is being built per the plans of an ACL flat car that is documented in the Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars Book 3. However, I am modifying it by adding additional hand rails and step to aid the brakemen that ride the car while in operation.

The underside is nearly complete. The next steps are to add the remaining brake hardware and finish the frame by adding the top flanges to the I-beams on either end, and rivet strips. All of the grab irons, stirrup steps, hand rails, and uncoupling levers will be bent by hand.

The poling pockets on the ends were made from 3/32 styrene tubing drilled out with a #50 drill bit. After cutting a piece off, I used a 3/32 brass tube telescoped over a 1/16 brass rod that is inserted into the styrene tube and used to sand it to .015 in length.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  10:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice neat work, Chuck. I've been wondering how to make poling pockets, thanks for the tip.

George

Fly Army

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  10:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work, Chuck!

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  10:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Your flat car is a thing of beauty. Yes, useful tip for making poling pockets.

Mike

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  10:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that's some fantastic modeling.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  10:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tip for shaping the poling pockets.

I talked to Don Tichy briefy at Springfield, asking if he'd be interested in doing some detail parts for earlier freight cars. A poling pocket was on my list, along with corner braces and maybe some different door hangers.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000