Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 175 ]  [ Total: 176 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  01:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  09:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that's a really cool looking caboose.
Great job on it!

Greg Shinnie

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  09:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Chuck.

James

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  10:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, I have been plodding along, building the steam pipes that connect the power house to all of the structures that require steam to operate equipment. I only have half of it done.

I am using the two Walthers piping kits for the majority of the system. But, I had to carry the pipes over the tracks. For that, I had the Walthers conveyor system that I spliced to make longer. And, it appears low because it is. I originally had it higher, but it didn't look right when 20 scale feet away are the bays under the breaker, which have low openings. So, I might as well make the steam pipe bridge the same height. And, it looks a lot better.

Anyway, here is a shot of part of the system I have built, so far. What you see in the foreground is similar to what I have left to build.

But, like I said, I am plodding. It just isn't exciting to build. But, it certainly looks cool what I have done.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  10:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After about 1930, in most jurisdictions such a bridge would have been just high enough to not require telltales (21-22 feet). Earlier, it might have been just high enough to clear the largest steam engine allowed to enter the breaker bays. Neat work, regardless.

James

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  11:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Good to know! I have a "Safety First" sign on the other side, just in case.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  11:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Chuck.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  11:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Chuck!

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  11:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clean and accurate, Chuck.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  12:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck great work as always overall.

What are you using for the steam pipes and are those commercial elbows or your own?

TomO

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  6:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks very good, Chuck.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  7:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That piping adds a lot to the scene.

George

Fly Army

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tloc

Chuck great work as always overall.

What are you using for the steam pipes and are those commercial elbows or your own?

TomO

Chuck, sorry I knew you used the Walthers pipe, just a missed moment. Still looks super

TomO

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am doing some preparation work for a Works-in-Progress clinic I am giving at our NMRA Northeastern Region convention in Mahwah, in less than two weeks. My clinic will be called "Tricks with Bricks" and will demonstrate using makeup sponges to paint the bricks on a model.

So, that means I need some brick walls to demonstrate this. And, one of the kits on my workbench is the Magnuson Models Wischer's Washer kit. Here is the photo on the SS Ltd website, where you can still purchase this kit.

http://scale-structures.com/ss1523

Now, the reason I chose this kit is because it reminds me of the Stegmaier Brewing Company's Bottling House. Here is a photo that I found on-line, a while back. I cannot find it, now, to give credit. So, my apologies. I just want to show how similar the structure and kit are.

On the far left is the brewery structure. This is actually across the street from the Bottling House. What is neat about the bottling house is that the stone structure is attached to it, on the right. And, I plan to model that too, by modifying the Railway Design Associates Freeman Manufacturing.

https://shop.railwaydesign.com/collections/railway-design-associates/products/freeman-manufacturing-co

SO, to begin, I am cleaning up the castings. They are actually nice and flat, which is good for a change. But, they still need a lot of cleanup, removing material in the windows, around the casting perimeter, and sanding down the back to get a nice smooth surface. I do the last step so that when I glue the window materials to the back, it has a nice smooth surface to glue it to. Many Magnuson castings have an meniscus around the window openings. So, sanding the backs of the walls removes it.

And, the other thing I did was modify the front walls. From left to right, I cut openings for freight doors where the 1&2, 4&5, 8&9, and 11&12 windows are. This will give it a similar look to the prototype, having a mix of windows and freight doors. I am not going to do anything about the series of doors in the center of that casting.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  10:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like it's going to be an interesting structure - brick and stone.

I looked at the schedule and can't find your brick clinic. When is it?

George

Fly Army

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000