Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 163 ]  [ Total: 164 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  9:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Beautiful adaptation of the DPM building with well-chosen details and modifications.

Mike

Agreed.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  11:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What they said!

James

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  07:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one, Chuck. You ought to also add it to this month's details gallery.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  08:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job, Chuck!

Bruce

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  11:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top notch modeling.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  1:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Just read through the several pages I had missed on this thread that brings me up to today. A cup of coffee and the Railroad-Line makes for better digestion than the morning paper, especially with your excellent modeling. I'm glad to see you placed the office out front and angled the billboard so that the delicate lattice work could be appreciated. Also nice to see you list the changes you make to each model; a byproduct of NMRA documentation, perhaps?

Question - what do you imagine they are keeping in the barrels on the office roof?

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  3:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, somehow I have missed seeing your very beautiful work on that billboard, and on your office/warehouse.
Seeing it all placed on your developing mine scene, just looks fantastic!
I was surprised by not seeing in your night photos, that beautiful billboard not being lit up.
You could light from LED's on the roof pointing up at the sign, if adding lights above it now is a pain, but it really needs to be lit up someway.

Greg Shinnie

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  7:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Chuck,
Question - what do you imagine they are keeping in the barrels on the office roof?

Galen

Galen,

Interesting question. I used to work in a clothing store when I was a teenager in an old early 1900's store front in a small town. It was a 3-story structure, where the top two floors were apartments and completely empty.

I used to walk around all the floors in the whole building as a security sweep to make sure there weren't any issues. And, I even went on the roof. I saw some old things that haven't moved in decades and I often wondered what the story behind each item was. I have no idea.

And, that is how I approach the barrels on the roof. There is a story behind them for your imagination to figure out.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  8:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

You could light from LED's on the roof pointing up at the sign, if adding lights above it now is a pain, but it really needs to be lit up someway.

Greg Shinnie

Hi Greg,

I ran out of LEDs and I wanted to get the project finished.

That is only part of the answer. I originally planned to use a GCLaser kit, and that really didn't have a way of hiding the wiring to the lights. This billboard does and I might build another one in the future. But, since I originally planned on using the GCLaser kit, I didn't plan for billboard lighting. Like I said, I might build another.....it is just a kick-ass billboard.

A third part of the answer is I needed to get it done quickly. I had about a week to finish the whole thing before giving my clinic on anthracite mines at an NMRA event, today. So, I quickly designed the billboard, built it, and finished the structure so I could document it for the clinic.

Believe me, I thought about it. But the stars, sun, moon, and earth were not aligned.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  8:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Also nice to see you list the changes you make to each model; a byproduct of NMRA documentation, perhaps?

Galen

Galen, I forgot to comment on this statement, too.

Perhaps it is a byproduct of my NMRA involvement. But, I also think it is a byproduct of this forum.

You learn so much or get so many ideas on this forum and the NMRA, and I just wanted to share the simple details I added to a simple off-the-shelf kit to make it a unique model. That is the benefit to these groups...share your knowledge.

Chuck

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  8:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that structure looks fantastic. it's one of the best dpm bashes i've ever seen, and the billboard is absolutely stellar. is there any possibility of a s-b-s on the billboard?

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  9:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, man. Kevin, that is the one thing I did not do...document the step-by-step on building the billboard.

But, let me go back a little bit and shed some light on what I did.

I created my drawing for the billboard using 3rdPlanIt, which I also use for my layout trackplan. I attached the drawing, here. I am not sure it will print out to HO scale, though. The grid should be 1' square in HO, if you need to adjust printing it.

I built four jigs, which is why I have so many copies of the billboard supports.

The vertical supports are .060 styrene channel.

The horizontal supports are .060 styrene angle.

The first jig was for gluing the bottom two horizontal supports to the two vertical supports. Also, I glued the top styrene strip support, cut to the proper angle to the top. I think I used .020 x .188 styrene strip. The angle is a 75 or 15 degree angle, depending on how you want to look at it.

The second jig is the same as the first, only you flip the support over and glue the bottom two horizontal supports to the verticals. Plus, I glued the top .020 x .188 supports on this side, too. So, when you are done, you have two bottom horizontal supports and two supports at the top, on both sides of the 060 channel.

The next two jigs are similar, gluing the next two horizontal supports from .060 styrene angle.

Then, I glued all four supports to a piece of V-Groove styrene. I believe it is .020 thick and the grooves have .080 spacing.

Then, I glued three strips of .020 x .060 styrene strip as the walkway in front of the billboard.

All of the cross bracing is .015 x .020 styrene strip. I did them in this order:

Cross bracing in each of the four supports. i.e., if you didn't glue the supports to the billboard, yet, these are the only supports you would be able to glue.

Cross bracing between each of the same horizontal supports between each support. If you were flying directly above the billboard, looking straight down at the roof, these cross braces will make an "X" between each of the supports where each of the horizontal supports exist.

Cross bracing between each horizontal support to the horizontal support above it in the next support. If you were directly behind the billboard at roof level, you would see the cross braces make an "X" between each of the legs, connecting one horizontal member on one leg to another on the next leg.

A horizontal strip connecting each of the horizontal supports in each leg. Again, if you were standing directly behind the billboard, this strip is parallel to the roof. It connects all four supports at each level of the horizontal supports in the legs.

A comment on the last two items. The .060 channel that is at a 75 degree angle is facing outward. The cross bracing between the supports is glued to the back side of the channel legs. The horizontal strips in the last step are glued to the horizontal .060 angle strips.

Hopefully, that makes sense. Since I did not take pictures during the build, I don't know another way of explaining it.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  07:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info on the billboard, Chuck.

Geprge

Fly Army

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  9:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally finished the Brownhoist Pillar Crane by JL Innovative Designs.

I scratchbuilt the operator's cab. I didn't like how the door to the cab faced the crane, with no real way of accessing it. I suppose if you built the loading docks that came with the kit, it would make it easier for an HO figure to access it, but I think it was still difficult. So, I put the door on the other end and added handrails and a ladder. I also built an arched roof and covered it with Campbell's corrugated siding.

Then, while I was looking for ideas on how to paint it, I discovered two threads on RR-L. The first is of this prototype pillar crane, and I really liked the rusty finish on it. So, I tried to duplicate that by painting the pillar Grimey Black and hitting it with an AIM Dark Rust wash by Monroe Models. I think it came close to this prototype:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/pop_printer_friendly.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=13406

But, while I was looking, I found this model by Hal on RR-L. This is a model by Alexander and there are subtle differences from it to the JL Innovative Design version. But, I did notice his cab, which might be provided by Alexander vs. my scratchbuilt version. But, it was funny to find this after I built mine.

But, the one thing that Hal's model provided was an idea on how to guide the cable close to the end of the boom. He had a couple pulleys on his model. Maybe Alexander provides them in his model, but not in mine. So, I used two sizes of hole punches I have in a set. I punched one disk in the smaller size and two in the larger size from .010 styrene and sandwiched them. You can see them in the photos. I'm glad I found Hal's model.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49003

Anyway, here are some shots of my model. It will be placed in my mine scene, used primarily for transferring mine prop logs from standard gauge flat cars or gondolas to the mine's small flat cars.

Chuck

Edited by - wvrr on 06/19/2018 10:00:36 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  11:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Chuck. I really like the way the weathering came out.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000