Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 170 ]  [ Total: 177 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  8:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a very nice build Chuck'. Great alternate use of DPM pieces. Nice work'..

Ted

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  8:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck a very nice job on the wash house.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  10:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,
I just caught up on your thread again, nice modeling. The wash house and billboard will be a great addition. Keep up the good work.
Rich

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  10:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, well that came out looking great from the wash!
Nice work once again.

Greg Shinnie

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely gorgeous work Chuck! Your brickwork looks fantastic, nice and clean. And the roof is perfect as well!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  11:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone!

Mike, I think what makes this model look good from other DPM modular structures is what I did to the entryway. By cutting off the side windows and using only the center, all the wall sections were no longer the same size. Plus, I really think having a pitched roof and a stone foundation help frame it differently from others.

Bruce, I had the zinc mine in mind when I made my post. But, I didn't like the photos I took of the inside. The other noteworthy thing with that zinc mine structure is where they displayed their mineral collection. If you noticed, that area was all tiled. I guess that would have been the shower area. And, you can buy those baskets, there. I took my brother and his family to tour the mine. My sister-in-law collects antiques, and she bought one of those baskets.

Chuck

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  11:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck beautiful build but thanks for explaining and the pictures of the Wash Houses. I never knew.

TomO

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  10:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This isn't an update to my layout. But, I was at the NMRA MCoR/TLR joint regional convention in Ames, IA, last week. I first flew to visit my friend Gerry Leone and we drove down to Ames, together. A really good time.

I operated Gerry's Bona Vista Railroad, while I was there. That was a lot of fun. Gerry and I use JMRI Operation Pro for generating switchlists for our layouts. And, we both worked on modifying his database to have cars go off and on the layout. We got that working and now I am thinking of adding it to my own database.

Anyway, here is a photo of my boxcab and a caboose making a run on the Bona Vista.

Chuck

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  11:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice photo. Does Gerry use EZ-Line for his telephone and power poles?

James

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  1:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Yes he does. And, you can see he also adds the sag in the lines, like the prototype. I remember Gerry telling me that you have to make sure you don't twist them. They are not perfectly round, so you will see the twist if you don't take the time. They also fade over time, too.

Chuck

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  02:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm late on it, Chuck, but the wash house looks great.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  08:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frederic.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2017 :  8:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I would share what I am working on. Now that warmer days are upon us, it allows me to cut wood, outside. Which means I am shifting gears from building structures to modifying the benchwork and adding fascia.

The drawing below shows what part of the layout looked like prior to starting the latest change. In the lower left is a loop. And, the black line that crosses it is part of an oval continuous loop that I originally built. I don't use the continuous loop, much. And, because of its existence, it forced the loop in the lower left, which passes underneath the continuous loop, to have a grade that was too excessive.

It became more of a burden than it was worth, so i decided to remove a portion of the continuous loop. And, then, I realized I could still have a continuous loop. So, I introduced a wye to the layout.

I am currently constructing two turnouts using Fast Track jigs. The benchwork is in place, already. But, I ran out of materials for the second turnout and am waiting for a shipment.

The wye area could turn out to be a photogenic scene. I might place a new depot there along with the handcar shed I built a few pages ago. And, in looking at a list of neighborhoods in Wilkes-Barre, I might name this area "Iron Triangle". It seems appropriate. I still have lots of time to make a final decision on that.

In the meantime, while I wait for supplies from fast Tracks, I am working on the fascia for the layout. I completed a new section a year ago when I redid the track for the mine scene to incorporate a scale track. I am continuing that fascia for the rest of the layout. I cut strips of Masonite to use and am making slight modifications to the benchwork to hang it on.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  12:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing this the next time I'm up there.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  2:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am finally getting caught up with the chores around the house after being away for several weeks. Now, I can get back to working on the layout.

One of the first things I wanted to do is install infrared occupancy detectors from Berkshire Junction. I've had these circuits for years, but never installed them. Since I am putting up new facia and will install skirting, i thought I better install them. But, I am having an issue. I tested it before instlling it and everything works fine. But, when I installed them for one end of the staging yard, it didn't work. After rereading the instructions, the sensor and IR LED will work up to a distance of 8 inches apart. Oh, oh. I am at about 4 inches. So, are there any suggestions out there? I have a laser pointer and can hit the sensor with that, and the circuit will work. So, I am thinking that maybe I need a "brighter" infrared LED, if that makes sense.

Chuck

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000