Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 172 ]  [ Total: 173 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting caught up on your work, Chuck. As Bruce indicated, your retirement is very productive and, as usual, your work is beautiful.

George

Fly Army

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  09:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the sign, Chuck.

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  09:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Reading the signs, learning Gimp is going to be very useful for you. You're getting excellent results.

Mike

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  10:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. GIMP will be another software package in my tools that I use. I use Inkscape a lot too, to ceate signs. It just depends on what I need to do. In this case, I had an image to start with where I needed to mask off part of it. GIMP looks like the tool to do that with. But, if I need to draw a graphic, Inkscape looks like the tool for me to use. So, it all depends, at least from what I know now.

But, I am going to continue working on the billboard. I have quite a few things I want to try.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  12:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am continuing to experiment with GIMP.

I like this version better. The original poster has snow falling in it. But, I thought trying to replicate that into the landscape canvas would be difficult. So, I found a backdrop that I thought I could use for the billboard. I didn't want it to look like a photo, since the penguin is an illustration.

Before adding the snow background, I played around with creating a halo around the penguin so it would stand out more. I didn't like that, either.

I also expanded the text and moved them around. I removed my logo, too. I made the logo smaller and stuck it in the lower right. But, I just didn't like it. Too much going on.

So, as it stands, this is the front runner.

And, I am liking GIMP.

Oh, and the dimensions of the sign are for the GC Laser billboard kit I have:
http://www.gclaser.com/ho-scale-billboard/

Chuck

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  2:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, you've got a good feel for GIMP!. One thing you might experiment a little bit on are different fonts. the ones on the sign are new for your time frame. Not many will notice, but fonts that fir the time will somehow seem more right even if the viewer can't explain why. Good stuff there with the snow falling.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  2:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill. I tried to use fonts I have that come close to the original on the poster. I'll play around with that, some more. I'm also having second thoughts on my logo. I feel that the billboard has to say somewhere who it is sponsored by. So, I might play with that some more, too. Maybe even adding small text along the bottom.

But, the snowfall is a keeper! The rest is easy.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  5:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, I like the first one you did, but agree that the backround color should be toned down a little. I would also keep the printing at the bottom, and maybe scale back your logo a little, but definitely keep it on the sign. I like it!

Mark

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  10:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on your signs with your program Chuck. Sorry I couldn't resists playing with your sign. I like your logo in there somewhere, as in your first sign. Here is just a thought for you.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  1:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, Lou. I think the logo will reappear. Mainly because whoever is promoting coal should get credit for it, and that would be my mine operation. So, I will do some more playing around. Yours is an interesting idea, but it makes it hard to read, I think...especially if you are trying to grab the attention of a motorist for a second or two.

Bill, I've been playing some more with fonts. I found two that I am working with, now. Signal-BQ and Flash. From what I could see, they were used in the 1950's.

Chuck

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  2:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Chuck...if you're soliciting opinions, I vote for your first version without the falling snow, which tends to wash out and distract attention away from the logo. If your mine company is paying for a billboard advertising, I would think the logo should be larger and more colorful to draw the eye.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  12:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the feedback on the billboard. I'm going to futz with it some more. But, not right now.

I picked up the parts I needed to work on the mine flat cars, so that is my next project.

As I showed on a previous page, I am using the Minitrains log cars as a starting point. They are very simple to disassemble. They literally snap apart since no glue was used. And, the only parts I will be using are the frame and the wheelsets. You will only really see the journals and wheels when I am done. The rest of the frame will be underneath styrene and wood.

Chuck

Edited by - wvrr on 02/21/2017 12:12:15 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  12:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck really like that first sign like Dave if you tone down that blue a little bit it will be perfect.

Looking forward to the new car build.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  1:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished up the flat mine cars that are used for hauling mine props into the mine. As you can see, I hid most of the Minitrain frame with .080 styrene angles and wood decking. I also added Tichy stake pockets and some small NBWs along the sides.

The car is based on photos I found of prop cars for the Wanamie Mine that was located close to Nanticoke, PA.

http://www.undergroundminers.com/PICT10901.JPG

Next up is the lamp house. Nothing exciting with this model, since it is just a straight forward build of DPM modular walls.

Chuck

Edited by - wvrr on 02/26/2017 1:56:09 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  2:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look great Chuck.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000