Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 143 ]  [ Total: 143 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  02:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great to see you back Chuck!! The layout room looks none the worse for wear now. I'm going to pass on some wisdom I learned from my last 'rain forest' flood (broken water pipe). My sump kept up with it. Put everything you do not want to get wet and want to keep in plastic containers. I can't tell you how many wet boxes of building and car kits I had to throw away. And the paperwork that went with them was dried and the kits placed in plastic freezer bags with a zip lock. These are stored in plastic tubs. The tubs will float before the kits get wet again. None of my wood craftsman kits got wet as they were in an other area of the basement in a plastic tub. Good to see you going again.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  05:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  11:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Chuck! That was the speediest form of benchwork construction...it materialized right in front of my eyes from the top of the page to the bottom! Your room size is almost exactly the same as mine 11x13. I look forward to seeing the progression of your railroad! Great to hear the is installed to handle the water situation in the event of another big storm.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  5:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Chuck.

I am looking forward to seeing some of your very nicely constructed models back on the layout.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

PEIR
Section Hand

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  3:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea having built the layout modular sections. The bolt/wing nut and modular electrical aren't something I have ever seen done before.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  9:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice benchwork, Chuck. You've put a lot of thought into the design. In the last picture of the layout, one of the Tortoise machines is mounted on it's side. Is that controlling a turnout?

George

Fly Army

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  9:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eagle eyes, George! No, they do not control turnouts.

I have a passing siding on that side of the layout that is on a grade. And, there are industrial sidings that need to be switched, using the passing siding. So, I installed two Tortoise machines on the passing siding track, one at each end, using another product by Circuitron used for operating semaphores. But, instead of operating a semaphore, it raises a rod in between the rails just high enough to hold an axle on a car. I am using them as hill brakes to hold the train while switching the industries.

The Circuitron product I used is the RSA, 800-8100 on this page:
http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/Tortoise.htm

It really makes operations on that side of the layout a little more interesting when you have to set the hill brake before cutting the engine off from the train.

Chuck

Edited by - wvrr on 02/16/2012 10:33:54 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  07:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great way to handle the switching on a grade problem.

George

Fly Army

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  08:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent idea: I can only shutter to think what would happen to my layout if confronted with the same situation you and Matt were. Got this thread bookmarked, Chuck...thanks for starting it!

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  07:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing to visually show anyone, but the layout is back up and running. I reconnected all of the electrical components...my Digitrax DCC system and the circuits that control the switch machines. When I first turned on the Digitrax system, I had a short someplace. It took me over an hour to find it. It turns out one of the edge connectors on the Tortoise machines slid a little out of position. And, the machines control the power to the frogs. With the Digitrax system up and running (OK, shorted), I pulled each one until the system reset the short. Then, I reattached them.

I spent part of yesterday running a track cleaning train around the main line. And, I installed an NCE ATLS4 decoder in an old Atlas S-2 that hasn't been run since the days of DC on the layout (about 7 years ago). So, that was a kick to see. This decoder is designed for these locos and came with an extra LED to light the rear light. The locomotive did not come with a rear light, originally. That installation went quickly and I was able to program it so that when it is going forward, the front light is bright and the rear light is dim. The opposite is programmed for reverse. Very very cool affect.

And, the other thing I did was install the Locobuffer on my layout. Why didn't I do this a long time ago? I feel like an idiot. DecoderPro makes it so easy to program the decoders. I have a Bachmann Spectrum Climax that has a Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder that I was never able to really program with the Digitrax programming mode. But, with DecoderPro, it was a snap. And, for fun, I set up the layout to accept WiThrottle controls. So, now I can run trains with WiThrottle on my iPhone. I won't actually do it, but I wanted to understand how to set it up in case I visited a layout with this set up. I have the Lite version of the app, since it is free. I would buy the full version, but my iPhone is a company phone and I think the charge would get billed to my company....not a good thing to have happen.

And, the last thing I did was move all my train stuff that was scattered throughout the house back into the train room. I threw out a lot of paper materials I haven't looked at in years. Nice to be able to clean some of that up. I still have to unbox things, but at least my wife will be happier that she doesn't have to look at my stuff in other parts of the house. Now she can use that space for her own piles of junk!

Anyway, I feel like a lot of progress has been made.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  07:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

I still have to unbox things, but at least my wife will be happier that she doesn't have to look at my stuff in other parts of the house.

Always a worthy goal, Chuck.

Bruce

Flyteleder
New Hire

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  6:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the WV Update Chuck> It felt good to see the layout up again. I remember quite favorably of the many times we have operated and look forward to the next time.

El Ferro Caballo Banditoi...AKA The Bandit from Fort Apache, Arizona Territory ]

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  01:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news to read, Chuck. It's nice to have the layout working and shorts solved.
I'm amazed when I read that one can run trains from an iPhone. While I doubt I'll ever do it myself, I am impressed by the versatility of these technologies.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  05:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, as the saying goes a happy wife is a happy life!! Really like how you build the RR with the ability to move it. When I start mine will keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing. Pat

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  09:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just thought I would give you an update as to what I have been working on. For years, I have had an MDC Boxcab sitting on the shelf. I have always wanted to build it, since these Boxcabs were a product of a joint venture between Alco, GE, and Ingersoll Rand. And, since I work for Ingersoll Rand, I have always wanted one on the layout.

When I got back into the hobby in 1990, I found one of these models at a train show. But, I wanted to upgrade the details on the model, add lighting, and upgrade the power. I was inspired to do all that after seeing a member of a club I belonged to at the time, do the same to his model.

So, the first thing I did was add a railing on top of the pilot. I also wanted to install a coupler release lever, too, but decided against it. I didn't want to exhaust the four letter word dictionary. I shaved off the molded on grab irons on the sides and next to the doors. Then, I drilled holes for new irons. Oh, and I applied Micro Mark rivet decals to replace the rivets I shaved off when I removed the grab irons. I also added grab irons to the front and back of the loco.

Yes, there is actually a front and back. What you are looking at is the front. The bell is on the fireman's side of the locomotive, when looking at the front. Plus, there are two stacks (nicknamed squat pots) on the roof. And, they are not spaced symmetrically in the casting in the kit, which is correct. The stacks need to be oriented where they are closer to the front of the engine.

I also removed the tool boxes that were cast into the shell, that drop below the frame. The only value they add is they hold the shell onto the frame when you use the provided gear tower from the kit. Since I am not using the gear tower and tool boxes were not on the prototype, I cut them off. In their place will be an air tank on the fireman's side and a brake cylinder on the engineer's side. There is a second tank, mounted perpendicular to the first one, underneith, that will be added. I found a brake cylinder in my parts box. So, I need to find suitable air tanks or make my own.

Anyway, I found this wonderful website that contains lots of info on these locos.
http://www.cnwhs.org/ageir/ageir.html

Here is another one, but I found this one to be a poorly designed website. Links are broken and you end up getting completely lost on it. But, I will toss it in the mix in case anyone wants to learn new four letter words.
http://sbiii.com/boxcabs.html

And, this third website was something I found the other night. It is by someone who also made modifications to his boxcab. Just some ideas besides my own.
http://www.thomasgloger.com/boxcab.htm

So, tonight, I am hoping to paint the shell with Pollyscale Steam Power Black and begin lettering it for my Wyoming Valley. I will wait to paint the frame until after the new power drive is fitted.

Chuck

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000