Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 179 ]  [ Total: 180 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  01:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Chuck! It looks like you have mastered kitbashing with the New River Mining Kits. Say, since you've gotten so good at working with this stuff, I have an entire colliery complex you can work on!

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  08:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Chuck.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  08:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The windows look like they belong there. Good idea!

George

Fly Army

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  09:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Chuck. Looking forward to seeing the next step.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  10:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys.

Mark, I have a lot planned for the colliery. This last week, I finally figured out how it will all go together. It will be a bit condensed, but the features I want to model will be there. The whole scene will be what I use to get my NMRA Gold Spike.

Chuck

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  05:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome looking industry, great job on the tank!

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  10:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished the towers and conveyors that will feed my anthracite mine's boiler house. The inspiration for the coal storage silo for the boiler house came from two places.

The first is the boiler house for the Huber Colliery. The silos are poured concrete. They store the coal that is fed to them from the colliery with conveyors. And, the coal feeds the boiler house next to them.

But, I think the poured concrete silos lack character. Easy enough to model with PVC pipe. But, they just aren't that interesting, to me. So, in my research on the Dorr Thickener, I found a version of a Dorr Thickener that wasn't that common. These are silos built in the same manner as the silos for a farm. And, this was part of the Marvine Colliery in Scranton, PA.

So, it just so happens Walthers has a farm silo kit. And, I decided to use that as the basis for my storage silo for the boiler house. I added a Tichy gangway, door, light, and safety ladder. The rest is kitbashed from the Walthers New River Mining kit.

To feed the silo, I had to build another tower so that I cold make a 90 degree turn from the breaker to the boiler house. Similar to the silo, I used a Tichy gangway, safety ladder, light, and door. And, the rest was kitbashed from the Walthers New River Mining kit.

Now, putting it all together, you can see the breaker, conveyors, and two towers in this shot. The boiler house is the structure in the left foreground. And, teh previous project, the Dorr Thickener, is in the right foreground.

Now, I can jump into the 2017 Challenge project!

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  10:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Chuck, that looks awesome! I like the weathering.

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  08:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all fits together well and will make a great scene, Chuck. As Mark said, nice weathering.

Bruce

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  08:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is impressive Chuck beautiful weathering and what a scene that is.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  09:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, your developing quite the industrial complex there in your basement.
The E.P.A. will have to keep an eye on this operation.
Nice work!

Greg Shinnie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  09:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  6:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After every project, I clean up as much of the workbench as I can before starting on the next project. But, this time, Marcia and I spent parts of the last two weeks cleaning the basement. I continued that effort, today, organizing and cleaning up my workbench. I bet I have not seen the entire workbench in 10 years. The tricky part will be to maintain it.

So, what is the next project? Well, I need to scratchbuild one more structure to get my NMRA Achievement Program certificate for structures. It does not need to be evaluated, either. About 40 years ago, I built a handcar shed based on an article in RMC. It was built completely from cardstock. I wanted it two tone, and the only colors I had around were a flesh color and earthy color. But, not too bad for a teenager with no budget. You can see it here behind the signal bridge in a photo I cropped.

And, this is the article in Feb 1974 RMC:

Not only am I building this for the NMRA program. I am also building it as part of the RR-L winter challenge:
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48421

So, the rest of the build will take place on that thread. I will be using Tichy windows and doors, except for the windows on the roof. Those will be scratchbuilt. The structure will be styrene with Rusty Stumps shingles.

When the project is complete, I will post a final picture, here.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  8:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work on the silo and tower, Chuck. Your colliery is an impressive looking complex.

George

Fly Army

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  10:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's an excellent Colliery Chuck'..nice industrial complex'.

Ted

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000