Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 136 ]  [ Total: 136 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track
Page: of 40

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  7:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I almost ruined it, Jerry. I decided I wanted a weathered look. And, I overdid it. It really looked like terrible. I was able to remove most of the weathering. Then, I masked off the sides to repaint the roof and ends. I primed them and painted them green...since I will use green again, for this project. And, when I removed the mask, one of the decals came apart. Fortunately, I had a spare and am applying it now. Then, I will try to touch up areas where I couldn't remove the weathering. Pretty frustrating.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  11:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The decals really came out great Chuck! Your really good with this stuff. As far as the 'mistakes' you made, it's good to know your human and make mistakes like the rest of us!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  07:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I make a LOT more mistakes than you realize, Mark. This was probably one of the few that I posted, though. I have to experiment to see what works and what doesn't. But, this one was a big gaff.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  09:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally, an update on the boxcar project.

After removing as much of the weathering as I could, I painted the roof an ends green. The green will be used again, later in the project. I also finished up the stone foundation, made from castings I made, and added decking.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  09:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks really nice! Of course, we are still trying to figure out where this is going. I notice two 'clues' as you say "The green will be used again, later in the project" and I notice the word "Enter" on the door. Hmmmm

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  10:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Chuck!

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  1:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the green top and ends. Will there be a discount for RR-Line members?

George

Fly Army

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  2:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not a modeling update, this time around. I visited my Mom, this weekend, and we took a day trip down to Lewisburg, PA. Along the way, I photographed the former PRR scale house that is located right next to the northbound lanes of Route 15, just north of Lewisburg. If you scroll back couple pages, you will see that my scale house looks close to this, even though mine is based on the Santa Fe design. The scale house has a pot belly stove and the weigh beam, inside. I couldn't get a really good photo of the weigh beam since the glare from the sun off the windows really made any shots of it difficult.

Also on site is a northeastern caboose. But, I could not determine its heritage. It looked like there was some Conrail blue in some spots, but no idea what it was prior to that.

I guess, in a sense, I did do a little modeling. We stopped at English's Model Train Shop in Montoursville, PA, on the way home. I picked up some Tichy castings and some styrene for a future project.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  9:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck great picture of the scale house. Thanks for the posting.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  12:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally, an update. I finished up the office for the boxcar project. The structure is the Alna Center Station kit that is now produced by Mount Blue Models:
http://www.mountbluemodelco.com/structures.htm

So, the next step is to add details and signs. I might also go back and give the boxcar some light weathering to tone it down a bit and show some age, like the office does.

Anyway, the kit is a simple structure that I improved. I modified the window openings and the door opening to fit Tichy castings. I really didn't like what came with the kit. I also removed the tabs on the ends of the walls that are used to connect everything together. Just like modelers have issues of the corner vertical line that they see in masonry kit structures, I don't like hiding these tabs behind two pieces of stripwood. Instead, I use interior braces to glue the walls together at the corner and add one square piece of stripwood to finish the corner.

I also used green 3-tab shingles, from Rusty Stumps, for the roof. The smokestack came with the kit and I added a vent.

Chuck

Edited by - wvrr on 11/10/2016 1:32:26 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  1:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, Chuck. The corner post idea makes good sense.

George

Fly Army

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  1:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat little building Chuck. I like the coloring. Nice work on those corners and the weathering.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  3:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been working on some of the details for the boxcar project. I built cases of beer from styrene and glued on the artwork that appeared earlier in this thread. You can see that Fred keeps plenty of Dutchman Ale in stock. I also built pallets from Rusty Stumps (which are really, really nice!). I also used one of his air conditioners and scratch built duct work to go with it. There are also some beer kegs and a soda machine (which I repainted and lettered) from JL Innovations. And, trash cans of unknown origin.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice details Chuck.

Jerry

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  4:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Nice details Chuck.

Indeed.

Bruce

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Curved Turnouts Topic Next Topic: On30 on code 75 track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000