Railroad Line Forums - Lou's Sam Cahoon 2 Month Challenge build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Lou's Sam Cahoon 2 Month Challenge build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Changing front to back Topic Next Topic: Rembrandt colors
Page: of 11

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  8:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is where I'll post my build. I'm trying to get the Pier structure built, the two Channel Marker Buoys and the Tug boat done for the challenge.

I'm starting with the easiest build first. Then if I run out of time, I can always say I finished the Buoys.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  8:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be watching this one Louis.

I started my Cahoon's years ago and have never finished it.

Maybe watching you will get me motivated to finish it.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  8:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis:

I made one of those buoys light up with a 3mm red LED and a buoy flasher simulator from Ngineering.

I cut the leads very close to the LED and soldered magnet wire (the thin stuff we use for wiring up the little surface mount LEDs) onto the short stubs left coming from the LED. Essentially I swapped a red LED for the business portion of that top piece of the buoy.

I'll post a picture of it shortly. Maybe a link to a video as well.

-slim

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  8:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

I will be watching this one Louis.

I started my Cahoon's years ago and have never finished it.

Maybe watching you will get me motivated to finish it.

It was your thread that got me to buy this kit in the first place, so it's all your fault.
I've followed alot of your water front work.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  8:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

[quote]Originally posted by slimjerkins

Louis:

I made one of those buoys light up with a 3mm red LED and a buoy flasher simulator from Ngineering.

I cut the leads very close to the LED and soldered magnet wire (the thin stuff we use for wiring up the little surface mount LEDs) onto the short stubs left coming from the LED. Essentially I swapped a red LED for the business portion of that top piece of the buoy.

I'll post a picture of it shortly. Maybe a link to a video as well.

-slim

Thanks Slim, I like that, something I must do with it for sure. Im all into the lights and animation type things. From what you say, I should be able to drill out the center of that wagon wheel looking thing that goes on top for the LED, right?

Louis

Edited by - desertdrover on 01/17/2012 8:45:44 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  8:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be fun to watch,Louis.
Lots of different elements to bring together into one nice water front scene.

Greg Shinnie

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  9:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Louis, great to see a waterfront project in the challenge. I'll be following along closely!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  9:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

This will be fun to watch,Louis.
Lots of different elements to bring together into one nice water front scene.

Greg Shinnie

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

Hi Louis, great to see a waterfront project in the challenge. I'll be following along closely!

Greg and Mike thanks for your comments.

Louis

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  10:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Be sure to read and heed the part about cleaning the resin parts before you try to use them! Clare (Jimmytruck) is a Forum member and may have additional input. CA works well as an adhesive.

My buoys came with bases that were flat, but not level. This looks great on the water! It's subtle, but cool.

Good luck!

Pete
in Michigan

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  09:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Louis,

Be sure to read and heed the part about cleaning the resin parts before you try to use them! Clare (Jimmytruck) is a Forum member and may have additional input. CA works well as an adhesive.

My buoys came with bases that were flat, but not level. This looks great on the water! It's subtle, but cool.

Good luck!

Pete
in Michigan

Hi Pete, thanks for the advice and comments.

Louis

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  11:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Here's a link to a quick little iPhone video I shot of the buoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v_XVYAMSMs

Dave Frary was kind enough to send me the buoy that he had made up and sitting around. (I wanted something quick that I could take up to the Craftsman shows last year)

I shaved the light part off of the wagon wheel piece and drilled a couple of holes for the LED leads. I cut the leads of the LED pretty short so that I could solder a couple lengths of magnet wire onto the LED and run the wires down along the uprights and through a hole that I drilled into the base. I shaved the cone part of the buoy light off from the portion that I previously shaved from that wagon wheel and glued it on top of the red LED. I flattened the top of the LED to accept the little cone.

I would hollow out the base and and attach the simulator board right into the base. That way you can have just a couple of heavier wires hanging from the buoy.

There is also a channel marker board available that handles more buoys off of a single board. The lights flash independently of each other - more realistic for multiple markers.

Hope this helps.

-slim

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  12:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimjerkins

Louis,

Here's a link to a quick little iPhone video I shot of the buoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v_XVYAMSMs

Dave Frary was kind enough to send me the buoy that he had made up and sitting around. (I wanted something quick that I could take up to the Craftsman shows last year)

I shaved the light part off of the wagon wheel piece and drilled a couple of holes for the LED leads. I cut the leads of the LED pretty short so that I could solder a couple lengths of magnet wire onto the LED and run the wires down along the uprights and through a hole that I drilled into the base. I shaved the cone part of the buoy light off from the portion that I previously shaved from that wagon wheel and glued it on top of the red LED. I flattened the top of the LED to accept the little cone.

I would hollow out the base and and attach the simulator board right into the base. That way you can have just a couple of heavier wires hanging from the buoy.

There is also a channel marker board available that handles more buoys off of a single board. The lights flash independently of each other - more realistic for multiple markers.

Hope this helps.

-slim

Well Slim, you came in right on time.
As you can see from my following post;
In this picture I cleaned up the flash from all the parts, and showing the red and green lights I am attempting to install into this build. I my curse myself by the time Iím done, but I think the looks of the red and green flashing lights will add to the overlooks of the scene.
The 3mm LEDís are the same size as the resin light I cut off of the light support ring, so they should look good when done. Itís just going to be fun finding a way to conceal the wires, and drilling down through it all to the base of the float. Weíll see as time goes on.

Louis

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  12:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think had I made the buoy from the kit form (rather than retrofitting) I'd try to add a little more solid wire to the length of the LED leads (rather than clipping the leads)and route the leads inside the corners of the uprights. It would add to the strength of the structure too.

-slim

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  12:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, great video showing the buoy Slim. That's the idea I'm looking for. I'm thinking of adding to the LED legs for support and make them longer to reach the base.

Louis

Edited by - desertdrover on 01/18/2012 12:33:17 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  12:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, can't get anything done here at the computer, so back to the bench:-)

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  2:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, a few hours later and lunch in my gut. I took the LED's and soldered longer legs to them so they will reach the bottom of the float where I can connect wires to go down through the layout. And, with my heart in my mouth, I drilled a well in the bottom of the buoy floats with a 1/2" Forstner bit to connect the LED legs coming from the top of the buoys to the layout wiring & flasher, and drilled two holes down from where the side supports go for the LED legs to go through to the well. From the picture everything is so white you may not see the 1/2" hole in the bottom, and where the two holes enter for the LED legs.
I tried to darken the picture so you can see the well hole at the bottom of the buoy float.

Louis

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Changing front to back Topic Next Topic: Rembrandt colors  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000