Railroad Line Forums - My Corner Shops - 10th Anniversary Challenge Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 207 ]  [ Total: 211 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 My Corner Shops - 10th Anniversary Challenge Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Final Photos for Critter Challenge Topic Next Topic: HO Centennial Models Hercules Mining Stamp Mill
Page: of 14

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  10:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is the craftsman section right?

we fully expect the juke box to work, light up and play music :D

i kid, but it does look really cool and all made from odds and sods, and you've given me an idea! :D
keep up the good work

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  12:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Andy on the ingenuity of the methods used, and on the need to have the pickup work, and the ham slicing machine too!!!

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  5:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there fellas,

Thanks for your comments.

Schoolmaster John: I reckon it will sound a bit 'tinny', but I am really pushed for space in which to add a sub-woofer...

Mark: Thank you.

Dallas: It IS an illusion - all done with smoke and mirrors.. This is why I omitted the printed label on the record. Nice thought, though.

Andy: HA HA..thanks, mate. It certainly will 'light up' but I am not expecting to elicit any sounds from it, but if I did, it would probably be Little Richard belting out "Tutti Frutti"

(Or possibly Bill Haley and the Comets doing "Rock Around the Clock"....)

Frederick: I will try.....

More later this arvo...

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  5:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might be able to use one of the small solid state devices to record something and place it below the shops' bases. It would add to the atmosphers (so would a greasy chip fryer scented aerosol)

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  9:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff John, love the creativity with all the sratch built work going onhere,, Well done,

Cheers!, Joe

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  9:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, John, what a cool thread! The depths of your creativity astounds me. I thoroughly am enjoying every post you give us. This is great fun following along!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 02/28/2012 9:50:28 PM

LaRueD
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  10:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingenious, John!

Great roof treatment.

ACES, mate!

Oh, by the way, I have more embossed foil if you need any ...

Delbert
Sulphur Springs Valley, Arizona

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Edited by - LaRueD on 02/28/2012 10:57:18 PM

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  11:04:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Delbert,

I would like to use that foil, and it could probably become a trend,

But it's a little bit expensive, and much too 'hard' to bend.....

Thanks for the thought, though.

John

LaRueD
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  4:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anubis51

I would like to use that foil, and it could probably become a trend,

But it's a little bit expensive, and much too 'hard' to bend.....

Thanks for the thought, though. John

You're welcome and agreed on all "points" mentioned.

Best wishes,
Delbert

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  6:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again all,

While I am waiting for the arrival of my Evan's LEDs which will allow me to continue with my Jukebox, I have turned to the other (front) end of Wally's Fish 'n' Chip Shop.

Here is the beginning of the serving counter. It is again, based on the original, which had a 'leaning' stance toward the customer's side: quite the vogue at the time, as I recall. It is built up from Paddle Pop sticks (aka Coffee Stirrers) . The added advantage to these things is that the ends are already rounded. Talk about Art Imitating Life... (My apologies to Oscar Wilde.)

Here, I have used the same Paddle Pop sticks and matchwood to make up the top for the griller / range / fryer.

Here is the material I have decided to use as my 'stainless steel' cladding on the 'range. Those of you who know of this delicious product will already know that this stuff is used to seal the bottle cap, and is a very heavy type of aluminium foil: much thicker and softer than the stuff you purchase on a roll from the supermarket. It almost feels like that old foil made from thin sheet lead, but it couldn't be - could it??

Whatever it is, or how it feels, it folds, creases, and burnishes beautifully. It also has a slight 'golden' sheen to its silver finish, which will suffice nicely to represent aged and greasy stainless steel. I started by rolling it as flat as possible on my cutting-glass work top, then used a sharp hobby knife to trim it to the correct size.

Here, the top panel of the 'range has been covered.

Here, the carcass of the cabinet has also been covered in the heavy foil. I have added a (painted) frying plate to the left of the two deep frying tanks, and made up a small, three-drawer pie oven, cut from a piece of 1/2" tomato stake. This has also been covered with my 'stainless steel' cladding.

Here I have added some black semi-gloss paper under the frying tanks, to simulate the greasy 'oil' contained therein. (Oh! The Cholesterol!! Just as well nobody had even heard of it in the 1950s.....)

Here, I have made up the splash apron for the rear of the range. I have also cut out the three table tops for the patron's serving area. These have been covered with a layer of gloss photo paper to represent Laminex (Formica).

Here, a couple of juicy meat patties and two fried eggs are sizzling on the frying plate...(Even if it is cold...)

Here, the splash apron and the pie oven have been added to the 'range. The egg slice is a piece of foil, with a #10 staple for a handle, attached with CA.

The rangehood is taking shape. Again, it is made from impact card.

Here is the almost-completed rangehood, ready for painting. I have also added a couple of greasy, aluminium egg-rings to the frying plate. These are a little overscale, but I had to try and make them visible. They were cut from thin walled styrene tubing and painted silver.

The frying-baskets have been placed into the tanks. Also added a pair of tongs, made from a sliver of aluminium foil.

The left hand one has chips (fries) and the right hand one has Chiko Rolls (an Aussie type of SUPER spring roll)... More Cholesterol!!!

That's all up to date for now.

Thanks for checking in, blokes.

John

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  7:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  7:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very creative, John. I'm enjoying all your innovative ideas.

George

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  8:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stop it at once, you are making me drool!

Can't get good old greasy fish & chips and down under style burger here in the US. (well not anywhere nearby, I know of)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  10:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are the Master Chef when it comes to cooking up details, John.

Bruce

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  03:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

Dallas and George: Thank you both.

Schoolmaster John: I like your idea for a ROCK 'N' ROLL sound source (!) And... the greasy chips are ready. Do you want salt and vinegar on 'em?

Bruce: Praise coming from a Master like yourself makes my little project even more special to me...

(It's all sticks and card...)

Thank you all.

John

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Final Photos for Critter Challenge Topic Next Topic: HO Centennial Models Hercules Mining Stamp Mill  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000