Railroad Line Forums - My Corner Shops - 10th Anniversary Challenge Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 240 ]  [ Total: 242 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 My Corner Shops - 10th Anniversary Challenge Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Final Photos for Critter Challenge Topic Next Topic: HO Centennial Models Hercules Mining Stamp Mill
Page: of 14

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  11:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks very good, but i agree with dallas, some window dressing might be in order (asumeing they did that back then, go back far enough the idea of window dressing was hanging the dead animals ont he front of the store :P)

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  2:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello blokes,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Schoolmaster John: As I mentioned in the text, the 'sawdust' is earth-coloured paint, applied with a small sponge roller to give a stippled finish.

Delbert: welcome! Your order will be ready in a moment.

Dallas and Andy: I originally wanted to add some parsley to the meat displays, but couldn't work out how to go about it. I could use some bright green flock (or similar) or a few dry-brushed dabs of paint for a 2D effect. Using anything in 3D would only serve to make the 2D meat seem 'flat' and dimensionless...

I will have a play around with the idea.

Thanks again, guys.

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  3:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

I just caught up with your build, and I must say, very impressive. I like the details you're adding to the stores. I will have to remember using projection film for window signs and to print out two copies to get the proper intensity.

Jeff S.

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  3:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang! I'm getting old. I read that twice and missed it.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  4:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, getting caught up once again. Your details are terrific, down to the meat cleaver on the cutting block! That meat looks convincing, too.

Nice job!

Bruce

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  2:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Dutchman et al,

Now for the update:

Adding the pilasters to the paprapet. Those mini-pegs come in mighty handy.

I made the two capitols from a couple of plastic dress-snaps, a couple of short lengths of computer ribbon cable, and a couple of styrene offcuts from my scrap bin. I am not trying to represent any particular style here, merely trying to give the appearance of a plaster or cement capitol from the era.

Adding the capitols on top of the trimmed pilasters.

The (almost) completed front.

Adding the gap filler to the tops and bottoms of the corrugated walls. This is Selleys Spakfilla Rapid, thinned to a creamy consistency with water. It dries in about two minutes, so you have to work pretty fast.

Adding the corner pilasters to the rear wall. The concrete step is also impact card, painted with a cement coloured paint.

Turning back inside again, I felt it necessary to add some attempt at a roof-mounted refrigeration unit for the walk-in Cool Room. I didn't want to go to a lot of unnecessary extra work, so I elected to make it as simple as possible. A sealed unit would be preferable...

I seconded another acetate packaging bubble (this one was originally protecting a pair of Bachmann Ezi-mate couplers) and cut it out to fit over the inner lamp wiring. You can see the cables running from the front wall lamp, but they don't look out of place (to my eye, at least) because the prototypical refrigeration unit would of had heavy cables running to it from the main fuse junction box at the front, anyway. The louvres on the air intake side are from the Archer raised detail decal assortment, painted over.

In this shot, you can also see that I have added a couple of light switches to the wall of the Cool Room.

In order to remove all that heated air from the evaporator, I had to find - or make - some ducting.

I sourced a suitable coil spring from my hardware box, whick looked like it may just fill the bill. It is 5/32" X 3 1/8".

I trimmed the anchoring ends off, cut it to length, and fitted it into a drilled exhaust port in the rear wall. It has been painted with Gunze Sangyo Burnt Iron paint, both to improve its appearance, and to try to prevent it from rusting. You know what mild steel is like if left unsealed.

After all was dry, I flexed it up into a nice reverse curve, and attached it into the 'exhaust outlet' of the sealed refrigeration unit. The warning / instruction label is just a small bit of text, snipped out of a local hardware catalogue.

The completed installation.

On the back wall, I have added a simple styrene rectangular ventilator, again using Archer's excellent raised detail louvre transfers. These things are really good. In this instance, I haven't painted them. I will probably add a bit of rust or grime colouring to them later.

Here are the two storey shops and the Butcher's, temporarily sitting in position, just to check for alignment.

Here, from the side.

Now, next for the roof!

I will make a start on that tomorrow.....

Thanks for looking, guys.

John

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  3:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, John. Your air conditioner is very innovative.

George

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  10:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice to see everything taking shape john!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  10:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sure take detailing to the next level, John!

Bruce

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  10:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really good as usual. The details work both close-up and from further away.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  09:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

Many thanks to George, Andy, Dutchman and Schoolmaster John.

Time for another quick update on Harry's Butcher Shop:

With only the roof remaining to be built, I gratefully stayed inside during Melbourne's 40 (104 F) Saturday, and got on with the job.

I am once again using the embossed card, but this time I am going to add it 'au naturel', then hit it with some light grey paint, and give it a bit of a weather with some chalks, to simulate a much less neglected roof than next door's. This is a scale 8' X 2' 6" sheet.

Adding the individual sheets to the sub roof panel. I used Tarzans Grip again for this.

Due to the awkward angles it was a bit of a task to get things looking 'right', as neither edge of the roof is parallel anywhere. Here, grey primer undercoat has been applied.

Here, in situ, to check for alignment. This time, the roof will be left removeable.

Side gutters of folded card strip, and a bit of weathering added. All weighted down while the adhesive sets.

In position. The flashing strip at the parapet is also a piece of folded card.

Another view, showing the rear Z-angle guttering / fascia board.

Overhead view of the two structures.

All that remains to finish off the Butcher's now is to add the rain downpipes at the rear, and sprinkle a little bit of parsley in the window displays......

Well, that's all for today, fellas.

Next, I must make a start on Wally's Fish and Chip Shop, before I run out of Challenge time.....

Thank you.

John

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  09:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again,

With just a little over a fortnight remaining in this current Two Month Challenge, I find myself moving onto the fourth and final structure of My Corner Shops.

This (which started as a Tailor's) is now to be built as Wally's Fish 'n' Chips / Cafe. Such an establishment did in fact, exist in this block, but it was located a few doors westwards of where I am adding it now.

Here is a very early (three weeks ago!) 1:48 drawing of the floor plan, just to test the area for viablility. I have added a few 'loungers' just for the sake of scale. The actual locations and arrangements have since been altered slightly.

The main item that I have been looking forward to building is the Jukebox, which will have pride of place on the centre wall, facing the street. In order to make it a bit more up-market, I have elected to step out of character (and my initial decision) to not use anything that I didn't already have on hand.... Thus, I have sourced some 3mm flashing LEDs from Evan's Designs. My thanks go to David, for his assistance in selecting these for my build.

I first noticed the pleasing 'checkerboard' pattern and the raised ribs on this tray of tablets, many weeks ago. It looked to me as though it would serve very nicely as an outside skin for my Jukebox. I cut the centre segment out, and rolled it over a 1" wooden dowel, until I obtained the shape I liked.

I then cut a piece of impact card to the desired shape, and attached the outer skin to the back with CA adhesive. The holes are to accomodate the three flashing LEDs. The lower edge is a piece of Paddle Pop stick.

This is the rear view.

Having had a good degree of success with the refrigerator ducting on Harry's Butcher Shop using a small steel spring, I decided to try it again, this time as the front trim on my Jukebox. The spring is the same dimensions as the previous one.

I bent up some stout wire (1.75mm) into a shape that was close to what I needed, and then just fed it into the spring...

This was quite encouraging, as I only wanted to make a representation of a 1950s Jukebox, without trying to depict any particular make or model...(No comments about a prop from "Alien", please...)

Next, came the 45rpm single record (remember them?), which was a chad punched out of card, and coated with gloss black enamel. I added a bright green 'label' from a smaller chad, and impaled it all onto a steel pin. (Adding a printed title to the label is getting a bit too silly....)

This is my first attempt at the front fascia and control panel. I didn't think it was good enough, so I made up a more appropriate one.

Here is my revised control panel, and the new carrier. This will allow me to light it from behind.

I cut some more of the 'textured' foil to fit the inside top of the Jukebox, and attached another piece of spring with CA. This was painted gloss black when dry, and will represent the rotating rack of 45rpm records - even if it will be difficult to see. It will also serve to house two of the three flashing LEDs.

So, here are the major components of my Jukebox. The fascia panel was again printed onto OH projection film, sandwiching two images together. The only things not shown are the three coloued LEDs, and that's because they haven't arrived from the USA yet.

That's all for now, guys.

Hoping that the mailman brings my Evan's delivery soon!

Catch up again tomorrow.

Thank you,

John

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  09:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, how does it sound?

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  09:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting juke box. Your interior works have been quite fun to watch.

Mark

W,L,&E

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  10:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm ... the building has interior detail ... which includes a jukebox with interior detail ... add a couple of mirrors in the right place and it will go on to infinity! Neat stuff.

Minor nitpick: I'm not sure that record has the exactly correct number of grooves!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Final Photos for Critter Challenge Topic Next Topic: HO Centennial Models Hercules Mining Stamp Mill  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000