Railroad Line Forums - My Corner Shops - 10th Anniversary Challenge Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 262 ]  [ Total: 262 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 My Corner Shops - 10th Anniversary Challenge Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Final Photos for Critter Challenge Topic Next Topic: HO Centennial Models Hercules Mining Stamp Mill
Page: of 14

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  04:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
way cool :D i can smell the chips now :D

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  06:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi John, yup, the smells of great food are getting the saliva glands working overtime! You'll have to have the CCR song "Down on the Corner" playing whenever you display the corner shops!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  09:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Salt and vinegar; there's another way???!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  1:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great ingenuity, John. This project is amazing, and seems to bring you (and us!) tons of pleasure.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  10:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks to Andy, Mike, Schoolmaster John, and Frederic.

Mike - "Down On the Corner" is a great idea for a covering song for my build. It's not too far out in time either - about 1969, wasn't it?

I have managed to get a bit more done, and will post it later today.

Again, thanks to all.

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  04:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolmaster

with curryketchup, stew gravy, mayo curry ketchup and onion :D

blegium changed chips for me :D

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  09:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andykins

quote:
Originally posted by Schoolmaster

with curryketchup, stew gravy, mayo curry ketchup and onion :D

blegium changed chips for me :D

Gravy, poutine style.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  10:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again, all you Challenge-ites!

Time for another update on Wally's Fish 'n' Chip Shop.

I have seconded some wall tiles that were left over from Harry's Butcher's, and will use them to align and mount the cooking range and other kitchen units before attaching them to the wall. I cannot recall if they were this colour or not, but they would have been essential, in such a hot, greasy environment...

Moving from the hot to the cold, here is the beginnings of the ice cream freezer. Impact card is again employed.

This sheet of foil (from the same delicious source) is a newer version, and is slightly thinner, and quite a bit more 'silvery' that the previous, older stuff that I used on the 'range.

The carcass of the ice cream freezer has been covered with glossy photo paper, and the top with the newer silver foil.

Here, I am lining up the perceived correct spacing for the ice cream freezer hatch lift-up lids.

Here, the famous "Streets" logo has been added. Also, another set of Archer's wonderful decal louvres. The tiny handles that I regularly use are Woodland Scenics HO 'Fruit' (apples and oranges) painted black.

Here, the range hood has been painted with (rattle can) silver enamel. I have added an LED inside for the illumination of the 'range and work space.

Here is the beginning of the milkshake maker. (Don't know what they are called in the USA.) A piece of slim steel wire and a slice of styrene tubing, sitting on a trimmed-to-fit styrene base.

The cupboard / drawer back face of the serving counter. It is again, made from glossy photo paper, mounted on a Paddle Pop stick backing.

Here, the back face has been added to the counter, and to the left is my attempt at sanding down a piece of balsa wood to resemble an old 1950s refrigerator. This will be slotted between the 'range and the ice cream freezer, and ostensibly used to hold the uncooked meat patties, chips, Chiko rolls, meat pies, and other yummy comestibles....

Here we have the (almost) completed 'kitchen' area.

Which reminds me: what's for dinner????

Finally, here is my drinks machine, chilled and ready to plug in...

Next, I will probably add a tiled floor to the kitchen area.

I have just received my flashing LEDs from Evan's Designs, so I will spend some of the weekend getting them fitted and operating...

That's all for now, blokes.

More tomorrow.

Bye,

John

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  2:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

Getting caught up again. I am impressed with your ability to take everyday items and use them for details with your build.

Jeff S.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  2:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jeff,

I guess that I'm just an old skinflint...

John

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  3:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the way the fryer turned out. I may have to take up drinking to get the raw materials. How difficult is it to plan so that the seams do not show?

Walls Ice Cream did not come to NZ until quite a bit later. I did not realize that Lever Bros had taken over Streets that early.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  4:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Schoolmaster John,

The foil is nice to use, but you would need a few bottles worth, in order to get enough for a BIG project.

Put as many joins as possible out of sight, behind.

For the others, I just cut and fold the foil so that the seams are at the corners. That way they are harder to detect.

Once the joint is burnished, it almost disappears.

John

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  4:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have to sacrifice most of what remains of my liver for the hobby.

Thanks for the explanation.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  08:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again,

Sunday arvo, and it's time for another update on Wally's Fish 'n' Chips.

I have been able to get the Jukebox completed, thanks to the timely arrival of the necessary flashing LEDs from Evan's Designs late last week.

I was unpacking my weekly bag of oranges (YUM YUM) when I noticed that I might be able to use some of the mesh on my build. This stuff would also be good for scratch-building the traceries of Gothic-type lead light windows.

(Star Note: Time to build a 13th century castle???)

I cut off a small piece, and painted it black.

Trimmed it to size.

Fitted inside the front fascia panel. I then sealed it with a tiny bead of Aquatect.

In order to brighten things up a bit, I elected to paint the outer skin with a nice coat of clear red.

I had a bit of a play around with the flashing LEDs, and here you can see their initial installation. The one on the left is a bi-colour RED / BLUE, the one in the centre is YELLOW, and the one on the right is GREEN. All Evan's LEDs have miniscule resistors pre-wired into their leads, and as such, may be powered by any 5volt - 12volt REGULATED source. A 9volt battery is fine.

I have three smoke detectors in my home, and each one spits the dummy when their 9volt battery drops below 8volts, so I have a bit of a collection of these things, just sitting around going progressively flatter and flatter. Here's an opportunity to use them for something worthwhile...

The test shot...It's a little out of focus, but you get the general idea.

Here is the front surround, overcoated with clear yellow.

Another shot of the turntable assembly.

Adding a 'warm' white LED to the rear wall. This one will be constantly on, and will illuminate the front fascia from behind.

Here is the assembled Jukebox, without the front panel in place. The outer flashing LEDs are a snug fit inside the 'drum of records'. This will assist to slightly break down their brightness - I hope!

Here I am using Aquatect again, to add the front fascia panel to the surround trim.

Now, all wired up, and adding the completed unit to the centre wall.

Later, after the glue has dried.

Not looking too shabby at all...

In the dark.....

And in the light.

You get the idea.

Centre wall just placed in position on the floor. Better get onto the rest of the other walls, as well as the front.

Running out of time...

Many thanks again,

John

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  08:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A convincing Juke Box, John. The lighting effects are terrific.

Bruce

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Final Photos for Critter Challenge Topic Next Topic: HO Centennial Models Hercules Mining Stamp Mill  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000