Railroad Line Forums - Wichendon Machine Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Patrick Loves Steam ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Wichendon Machine Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: FOS Rust Rock Falls Kit Build
Page: of 15

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  4:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the corner where I'll put both Laser Modeling 3's "Wichendon Machine" and Motrak's "Bisgeier Tool". (WM on the left, BT on the right) Both kits come with cast foundations, which makes site planning a lot easier. (WM includes a casting for the coal dump, too, sitting on top of the siding.)

I found everything from my previous effort for WM -except- the instructions. I've sent an email to LM3 asking if they can send me another set of instructions. If not, I think I can figure out the assembly from some templates, photos on their website, and overall experience.

BT comes with some side buildings that I'll need to rearrange to fit within the site. My idea is the heavy machining occurs in the WM building, I'll need to decide if I have to run a steam line from the WM's boiler over to the BT side.

I think I'll start on the BT structure first, in part to wait for the LM3 instructions. First decision will be deciding what color to paint the walls, since I'll want a 'family look' for the two buildings. That also means figuring out what color I painted the WM window castings so I can use the same color on BT.

(Does anyone have a set of instructions from Wichendon Machine they could lend/send me?)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 11/30/2019 4:14:06 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  7:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like everything fits. Wichendon, Bisgeier, etc. should make a nice complex.

If one set of kit instructions is the only casualty of your move you got off lightly.

Mike

Midwest Mark
New Hire

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  9:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Midwest Mark an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Dave

I mostly lurk here, but I have the instructions you're looking for. I haven't finished my kit yet, but I could send you a copy of the instructions.

Mark

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  12:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave when you get going on the machine shop. I want to see how your going to make the walls removable??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  10:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A question for the assembled multitude: I'm going to start on the Motrak Bisgeier Tools kit first. Should I use this thread, or start a new thread specifically for that kit?

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  10:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

A question for the assembled multitude: I'm going to start on the Motrak Bisgeier Tools kit first. Should I use this thread, or start a new thread specifically for that kit?

dave

Dave,

For those of us who like to research how others built a particular kit itís helpful if itís a separate thread rather than having to search a lengthy thread. On the other hand the new thread gets lost in the sands of time once completed. That happens eventually to all threads, of course.

Mike

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can start the new thread. Then reference this thread so people can always get back to the build thread.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  11:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I'd consider starting the new thread, referencing this one, and driving on. Or you might consider an indexing process like James (jbvb) has done with his Eastern Route build thread. This will require more long-term work on your part, but it's a viable concept if you want things in one place.

And with what the WWs are advertising for your next couple of days, it would give you something to do!

Best wishes and stay safe. The WGFA on this end of the storm are arriving in heavy, wet, heart-attack form....

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  7:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LM3 is still in business, and they sent me a PDF of the instructions. Thanks, Ron!!

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  5:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that bothered me about the otherwise really great fit of pieces on the LM3 kit was the foundation seemed to be about 3/8" too short. So I sawed through and added a spacer. I'll go back and fill in/add the stonework with Water Putty tomorrow.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  7:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave this Video was posted this morning. You might find it helpful.

-PZkntmY3Rg

Bob

It's only make-believe

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  8:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Dave this Video was posted this morning. You might find it helpful.

-PZkntmY3Rg

Bob

An what galaxy is that from?????

Jerry

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  8:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's from this Galaxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZkntmY3Rg

Bernd

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  09:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd. "Wichendon" is a great kit (except maybe that foundation piece), the interior details are very well done and the kit goes together very smoothly.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  10:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The video is entertaining in a funny sort of way. He spends a lot of time complaining how much time it takes to do the details and explaining how heís going to skip a lot of the work. On the other hand these are apparently the first large craftsman kits heís done and despite making the usual little mistakes heís doing careful work. Wichendon is intended for his layout, which might affect his approach and reluctance to spend time on details that wonít show.

Itís interesting that heís doing two kits by different manufacturers simultaneously.

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 12/07/2019 10:16:40 AM

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: FOS Rust Rock Falls Kit Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000