Railroad Line Forums - Our Visit to Model Railroader
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: johnbell238@aol.com ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Our Visit to Model Railroader
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brian Nolan Topic Next Topic: FRIDAYS LOUNGE
Page: of 2

Michael
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  10:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talk about scratching something off the bucket list!

This past Tuesday, my son, Dustin, and I had the extraordinary opportunity to visit the great folks at Model Railroader magazine. I'm just going to post one photo for now as I'm using our small netbook while on vacation in Chicago.

This photo is taken on the MR&T.

The rest of the story and some more pics will follow once we return home in a few days.

Stay tuned,

Michael

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  11:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good Michael. I love those guys and the magazine!! I got to visit them way back (sometime in the 80s) and Jim Kelly took time to give me a complete tour and introduced me to several of the staff. Great folks!! I guess that they are in a new location now with a bigger and nicer layout. I would enjoy visiting them again someday!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  11:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike, I look forward to hearing all about the trip and seeing it through your many pictures. Give a big "hello" to Dustin for me. Happy New Year, as well! Hope to see you soon again!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Michael
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  09:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we're back home and after unpacking, I'm able to post a few photos of our tour of Model Railroader.

First, I would like to thank Senior Editor, Jim Hediger, who took an hour or so out of his busy afternoon schedule to show myself, and my son, Dustin, around the offices and layouts. Jim really made us feel welcome, as did the other staff members whom we met. In fact he was very accommodating to Dustin, by making sure he could see the higher sections of the MR&T with a step ladder. Thanks again, Jim.

So here are a couple photos to start. Most of you might recognize some of the locations from recent articles over the past few years.

My favourite sections of the MR&T include Bay Junction and the WSOR branch. So there are more shots of those area.

We'll start with Bay Junction:
Here we see Jim Hediger describing the layout and operation at Bay Junction to my son, Dustin.

The next shot is a look up the WSOR branch line towards Williams Bay. The town of Williams Bay along with commuter station can be seen to the right.

I like this next shot. Seems like somebody was travelling to way too fast through town and met the State Troopers outside the county newspaper.

Well that's it for now. I'll post some more in bit. Thanks for looking.

Michael

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  09:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pics, Mike. They did a very nice job with Bay Junction. It's nice seeing Jim and the staff spending time with visitors and making sure our young "up and coming" model railroaders are well accommodated!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  10:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool

Elliott

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  10:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  11:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you and Dustin had a great time.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  11:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great time - and something I'd like to do some time. I look forward to seeing more photos.

Joe <><

Michael
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  07:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another section of the MR&T that I like is the WSOR Troy Branch (MR2009).

Here are couple of photos, the first is the Badgerland Ethanol Plant.

Here is a view of the REC Paper Company - it's the largest model on this section of the MR&T.

This shot is a view of Troy Yard with PEC Paper to the right.

Thanks for looking,

Michael

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  10:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't that place great Michael?
I was very fortunate that I was able to go on the Kalmbach tour at the 75th NMRA Convention in 2010. I found all of the people there to be very friendly and, of course, very Model Railroad oriented. Andy Sperandio was especially nice to me as I missed being able to take photos of the nice model display they have, which includes one of John Allen's Gorre and Daphetid locomotives as well as the B&O 2-8-2 scratchbuilt in brass by Gordon Odegard. Andy took me aside and later took me there personally. I was very impressed.
I know when I went, we all went in a large tour group, but I am even more impressed that they just took you in a private tour.
Regards, Vic Bitleris

Michael
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  2:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vic:

I agree with you whole heartedly. There was no hesitation when I called Kalmabach Publishing and spoke with their receptionist, Vicki, inquiring if it were possible for a tour that day. She suggested we arrive after 1:30 - we arrived at Milwaukee around 11:45. So after a very nice family lunch at Mader's, my son, Dustin and I "cabbed" it to their offices. (My wife, Megan, and my daughters decided to visit a museum in Milwaukee). The cab ride there and back cost me about the same price as an N scale Kato Locomotive, but I think it was well worth it. I would encourage anyone to make the trek.

By the way here a few more shots of the MR&T:

This shot shows Port Marquette Yard in the foreground and the Continental Grain Elevator way in the background in front of the hallway window. Jim Hediger mentioned they had to build a back onto the elevator as it was used as a backdrop building on their old layout in downtown Milwaukee. I remember the build article from the 1980s.

The next photo shows some fine work by Cody Grivno with this cow pasture. Apparently, their were no Holstein cows available, only brown Jerseys, so he ended up painting all the cows by hand!

This is a great looking feed mill not far from the cow pasture.

The following shots show the MR Rail commuter station at Mukwonago. I recall this article from a few yaers back about installing lights in buildings. Nicely done.

Here's a close up of the platform.

The final shot from the collection shows a pair of MR&T locomotives on the main.

Unfortunately the layout was not operating that day as repairs were being made to some of the circuitry. But it was still a very wonderful experience!

Thanks for looking,

Michael

umtrr-author
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  3:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit umtrr-author's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  3:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, I'm glad to hear that you and your son were treated so nicely.
Thanks for all the great pictures.

scott
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  3:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy to hear that Model Railroader rolled out the red carpet for you and Dustin. I've always heard that all you had to do is call or drop in and they were more than happy to show you around.

Scott, from the wilds of Carroll County, Ohio

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  3:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike, More great photos! I love the angles you used to snap the pics. Your story is a very nice one. It's great to hear of the hospitality of the folks at MR.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 01/11/2012 3:53:21 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Brian Nolan Topic Next Topic: FRIDAYS LOUNGE  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000